Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179799 times)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #705 on: 23-08-2010, 22:08:45 »
The Objective 5/5

This is a low budget movie.  And it also started with narration which I always view as a lame excuse to cut scenes.  I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, but I was left yearning for more information. This is one of the best films I've seen in the last 2 years, I didn't know the back story to start with an assumed what I was watching was a cheap Afghan war movie.  Not so.  One scene in particular for me when the lead role picks up a symbolic object (Mayan aircraft trinket) I suddenly realised what the fuck was going on and it even triggered a memory of a story that my grandfather told me about the Hill of Bones in Afghanistan, and the fate of the 44th Reg.  The movie gives the Hill of Bones a strange twist, and has left me once again even more perplexed by the notion that such ancient treasures like the Ark Of the Covenant, and the Mana machine given by God to the Israelites on their 40 year exodus we really advanced technology from possibly some unknown super race.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: 23-08-2010, 23:08:39 »
Sounds interesting. Gonna see if I can find it somewhere, for sure.

Just finished watching Raging Phoenix myself and boy, do these Thai know how to make hardcore movies. It's from the people behind Chocolate and Ong Bak, with Chocolate's little bundle of awesome-ness Jija Yanin in the lead part. To me, she's the only rightful heir to Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung's Queens of Kick-ass legacy. Ziyi Zhang came close but sorry hon, you've just been demoted.

Although the story itself was surprisingly endearing, and even cute and really funny in places, this movie is all about full contact fisticuffs, in every which way imaginable. I could describe it as Drunken Muay Thai Master mixed with Lady Snowblood, or...well...I dunno, but it's one of those movies that deserves to be seen instead of just being described. ;)

FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: 24-08-2010, 07:08:46 »
Sounds like a director went for Erich von Dänikens ideas and made a film about it. ^^
But I will have a look as well.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #708 on: 24-08-2010, 10:08:46 »
Sounds like a director went for Erich von Dänikens ideas and made a film about it. ^^
But I will have a look as well.

hmmm, sort of... Däniken is a bit of a charletan imo, he was a trail blazer and some of his ideas are great but a lot of them ignore other facts to simply highlight his points, - but the Objective is much more like Blair Witch (coming from the same director that's shock :) ) .. meets Dog Soldiers.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 24-08-2010, 10:08:07 »
Hope it's not as shaky as BWP then.
But yeah Erich von Däniken is a fraud.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #710 on: 24-08-2010, 11:08:29 »
Hope it's not as shaky as BWP then.
But yeah Erich von Däniken is a fraud.

almost worthy of a new thread

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case486.htm  (Nuremberg UFO war 1561) thats where interest in 'ancient contact' started for me.  Since then I've noticed how littered history is with accounts of this kind.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 24-08-2010, 11:08:26 »
almost worthy of a new thread
http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case486.htm  (Nuremberg UFO war 1561) thats where interest in 'ancient contact' started for me.  Since then I've noticed how littered history is with accounts of this kind.

True, but Erich has stated it time and again, that he made up most of the stuff to make his not so scientific research 'more interesting'.

Accounts may be, but the evidence is quite lacking. ^^

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: 24-08-2010, 14:08:15 »
The Book of Eli.

Watched it yesterday, loved it.

I suck at writing reviews so google it, but i give this a

9/10

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #713 on: 24-08-2010, 17:08:29 »
The Objective 5/5

This is a low budget movie.  And it also started with narration which I always view as a lame excuse to cut scenes.  I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, but I was left yearning for more information. This is one of the best films I've seen in the last 2 years, I didn't know the back story to start with an assumed what I was watching was a cheap Afghan war movie.  Not so.  One scene in particular for me when the lead role picks up a symbolic object (Mayan aircraft trinket) I suddenly realised what the fuck was going on and it even triggered a memory of a story that my grandfather told me about the Hill of Bones in Afghanistan, and the fate of the 44th Reg.  The movie gives the Hill of Bones a strange twist, and has left me once again even more perplexed by the notion that such ancient treasures like the Ark Of the Covenant, and the Mana machine given by God to the Israelites on their 40 year exodus we really advanced technology from possibly some unknown super race.

This sounds just the thing to watch at the moment, I'm reading Icke's latest offering and I've just started on the parts about the underground Reptilans, Denver airport etc True or Bonkerz, makes you think!  :o :D

£5 on amazon, I'll get it on that review Sir!  ;)
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 24-08-2010, 18:08:51 »
This sounds just the thing to watch at the moment, I'm reading Icke's latest offering and I've just started on the parts about the underground Reptilans, Denver airport etc True or Bonkerz, makes you think!  :o :D

Oh no please not David Icke... heavens....

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #715 on: 24-08-2010, 19:08:40 »

Oh no please not David Icke... heavens....

Aww come on, the guy is totally unbelievable but think of the movie, his ideas in a movie or mini series would be totally awesome. like the new star trek or something. 

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #716 on: 24-08-2010, 19:08:30 »
It's so "out there" I can't put the book down, very readabullble!   ;)
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 24-08-2010, 20:08:27 »
Inception
8/10.
Excellent concept, great execution, could have done with a twist though. But still a great one. I love Page and DeCaprio already, but the person who I respected the most was that guy from ?500 days of Summer and 10things i hate about you. In as much as you get impressed with keanu reeves in the matrix cuz you never expected him to be so badass, this was totally over the top exhuding total  badassery! Made Jack Bauer look like a girlscout! I dont need to say why.

My most appraised movies of 2000 - 2010 for me? Avatar, Inception and the Lord of the Rings

I hope directors get the fact that it isnt about cgi. Look when LOTR was made!

Better yet, look when Jurassic park was made. Best movies of that decade for me? That, matrix (i block out the fact that there were sequels) and gladiator

Salt. Fucking crap. Almost a B movie. Terrible dialogue, terrible flow, 2/10!

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: 24-08-2010, 23:08:37 »
Inception
8/10.
I love Page and DeCaprio already, but the person who I respected the most was that guy from ?500 days of Summer and 10things i hate about you. In as much as you get impressed with keanu reeves in the matrix cuz you never expected him to be so badass, this was totally over the top exhuding total  badassery! Made Jack Bauer look like a girlscout! I dont need to say why.

I concur. Joseph Gordon Levitt is one of the most interesting guys out there at the moment. Even though he'll always be Tommy from 3rd Rock From The Sun to me, it's really cool seeing him do so well. Brick, The Lookout, [500] Days, Stop-Loss...solid stuff. Heck, he was the only thing memorable about the G.I. Joe movie.
Not that there's anything wrong with the old one, but to me he's the new Edward Norton. :)

The cool thing with Inception was also that I finally didn't see Leonardo anymore. I think this was the first moive where he actually managed to disappear into the character, instead of just being Leonardo playing a part. Revolutionary Road came close, but he's finally a full fledged actor in my opinion.
And yes, I too am deeply in love with Ellen Page. In fact, I'm gonna look up a picture to post on the Babe thread :P
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #719 on: 24-08-2010, 23:08:01 »
The Book of Eli.

Watched it yesterday, loved it.

I suck at writing reviews so google it, but i give this a

9/10

you pissed me off earlier in another thread, but I totally +rep you back up suggesting this movie - I'd been flicking passed the book of Eli on cable never giving myself time to watch it, it was on when I got home today.

Great movie, interesting... quite a deep message hidden in the max max'ness, one that I perhaps really look into and others miss in favour of the great fight scenes and cinematography.  Denzel Washington is the perfect lead, calm cool, and Gary Oldman is always great at playing the deranged man fitting into society.
The only fail (in my opinion) was Mila Kunis, I just can't get away from her voice being Meg in Family Guy, but that's a stupid reason to mark this down - so I won't.

8/10    

-1 = wished it was longer, there was a lot about the leads character I wanted to know more about
-1 = was he blind? I couldn't figure that out?