Author Topic: Crossing the Finnish Line - A Forgotten Hope 2 Update  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
Re: Crossing the Finnish Line - A Forgotten Hope 2 Update
« Reply #45 on: 23-03-2015, 08:03:49 »
(around 10? of them)

Spoiler
What?Thats why there is "?" And more or less?

Also there isnt map with airplanes yet....
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Prx!!

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23-03-2015, 10:03:56 »
This one is pretty small (the smallest planned for the first russian release). It's an infantry map. The overall map is 1x1km and you can see how much of that is playable.

here is some honest feedback. i never do this, well here it goes.

First the map overall looks pretty damn awesome, ofcourse i cant walk around in the map right now but the textures look great. And you guys took alot of time to make the map complete, lots of little details.

That being said i am a bit disappointed in the mapsize you choose to use. especially since there is only 1 server wich support 100 players. And as i have seen before, some maps are not being used by 762 due to a 100 players trying to play a small map that wasnt made for that. thats a waste of a good map, and time and effort. I would have loved to see a bigger map, more room to move around, more vehicles.

Maybe its me getting old  :P But the reason for me to start playing forgotten hope where the maps and the different armies introduced in a ww2 game never seen before anywhere else, this on a bigger map scale. tanks, infantry, planes ect. FH2 is taking a step towards a cod2/cs game. Guiding players into inf killingzones is a job for cod.  this is what i think. I was excited when i saw a dev blog about Prokhorovka.. finally a 100 player map that would incorporate all great things about fh2.

you may hate me for this but this is my honest oppinion. Make bigger maps that satisfy tankers and pilots as well as infantry players. (just started with mapping, this is my goal!)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23-03-2015, 11:03:45 »
That being said i am a bit disappointed in the mapsize you choose to use. especially since there is only 1 server wich support 100 players. And as i have seen before, some maps are not being used by 762 due to a 100 players trying to play a small map that wasnt made for that. thats a waste of a good map, and time and effort. I would have loved to see a bigger map, more room to move around, more vehicles.

Maybe its me getting old  :P But the reason for me to start playing forgotten hope where the maps and the different armies introduced in a ww2 game never seen before anywhere else, this on a bigger map scale. tanks, infantry, planes ect. FH2 is taking a step towards a cod2/cs game. Guiding players into inf killingzones is a job for cod.  this is what i think. I was excited when i saw a dev blog about Prokhorovka.. finally a 100 player map that would incorporate all great things about fh2.

Who said, that we are at the finnish line yet?  :P

Offline Prx!!

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23-03-2015, 12:03:55 »
I never said that. I was just expressing my thoughts about fh2 and some maps ive seen. Im giving honost feedback instead of replying Looks awesome! great! i want to play!

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23-03-2015, 12:03:58 »
I never said that we demand any applause or anything and it was not my point. Fact is, that it has been stated several times allready that FH2 offers a variety of scales for the maps. Tunis is in the mod since ages just to give you an idea that it always has been like that. There is not an agenda that makes us say' "Hey, lets do a gallofdudy-map". People choose their scenarios carefully, keeping in mind that large scale battles are more difficult and require more workload.

Dukla is pretty huge and Arad is about the same size as Eppeldorf with the emphasis on combined arms warfare. Pegasus works pretty much the same way as it did in FH0.7 in terms of scale and size. All I can say is, stay relaxed and wait patiently for the things that are in the works. I think, there will be something for everybody in the upcoming patches. In the meantime you can enjoy the pacific maps, hop on the pubby for your normal round of FH2vanilla or keep looking forward to future updates to the CMP.

Show me a game where it is like that, that you have a wide selection of maps, vehicles and where stuff gets constantly updated. Sometimtes I think, that we are really spoiled within this community  ;)

Offline Prx!!

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 23-03-2015, 12:03:00 »
agreed on all your statements listed above. just my thought here.
And i know its easy for me to say this and that.

in fact..  keep looking forward to future updates to the CMP.  --> working on that  ;D

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 23-03-2015, 12:03:55 »
I never said that. I was just expressing my thoughts about fh2 and some maps ive seen. Im giving honost feedback instead of replying Looks awesome! great! i want to play!

I'm glad you took the time to give honest feedback, trust me, it's apprechiated. :D

As for the map, like hitmaker said, we can't really make EVERY map appeal to EVERY players play style. We try to vary the scales based on what the mapper feels like doing and also what fits the history of the battle.

That beig said tho, this map may seem small but trust me it plays big. It doesn't play anything like Bardia for example which is just a grenade bowl. :P

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23-03-2015, 13:03:00 »
A forest is quite a different beast than a city with limited access.

@Ivancic1941

Sorry, didn't want to be rude there. It's always a surprise for me how people imagine the scale of releases. I can't remember any release with anything close to 10 maps. 10 eastern front in the future? Looks feasible but not in one go.
« Last Edit: 23-03-2015, 13:03:29 by Kubador »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 23-03-2015, 16:03:28 »
Is that the distant sound of Russian tanks that I hear ? Gotta finnish my turnip and pontikka breakfast  :o

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23-03-2015, 21:03:52 »

I'm glad you took the time to give honest feedback, trust me, it's apprechiated. :D

As for the map, like hitmaker said, we can't really make EVERY map appeal to EVERY players play style. We try to vary the scales based on what the mapper feels like doing and also what fits the history of the battle.

That beig said tho, this map may seem small but trust me it plays big. It doesn't play anything like Bardia for example which is just a grenade bowl. :P

I can understand people liking bigger maps. That being said, I think some of you might be seeing FH1 through rose tinted nostalgia goggles, considering that mod also had maps like Pavlov's House and Zielona Gora  ;). That being said, Sammatus is bigger than those, but it brings you the same kind of trench and forest action as ZG.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23-03-2015, 22:03:58 »
This one is pretty small (the smallest planned for the first russian release). It's an infantry map. The overall map is 1x1km and you can see how much of that is playable.
Lies! It was 1x1km originally but playable area was too close to the map egdes so at one point Kev4000 decided to change it into a regular 2x2km map with his weird codding voodoo magic. Distance between mainbases is 1km (probably even slightly more). There was no finnish main base on original map and there was secondary terrain already visible in the place of the lake on the bottom of the map:

Spoiler
« Last Edit: 23-03-2015, 22:03:45 by jan_kurator »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23-03-2015, 22:03:45 »
Lies! It was 1x1km originally but playable area was to close to the map egdes so at one point Kev4000 decided to change it into a regular 2x2km map with his weird codding voodoo magic.

Really? So I guess the playable area is the same, just there's more oob area? It makes sense cause it really doesn't feel like a small map at all tbh

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23-03-2015, 22:03:42 »
Really? So I guess the playable area is the same, just there's more oob area? It makes sense cause it really doesn't feel like a small map at all tbh
Yup, playable area was increased slightly only in the area near the Finnish main base other than that it was only a visual update to get rid of ugly secondary terrain, but it probably happened long before you joined the team so you haven't had a chance to see the difference ;)
« Last Edit: 23-03-2015, 22:03:20 by jan_kurator »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 23-03-2015, 23:03:19 »
Are you sure it wasn't 512x512 1-Scale before? Cause we recently noticed that it is scale 1 (which we usually don't do, except Sfakia).

edit: checked the files, it is 1x1. Dukla Pass is 2x2, compare the size of buildings on the minimap for scale:

So yeah it was 512 x 512 originally.
« Last Edit: 23-03-2015, 23:03:58 by Ts4EVER »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 23-03-2015, 23:03:05 »
Oh yeah, true, it probably was 512x512 before. Still doesn't feel that small since it's an infantry mostly map.