Author Topic: ESAI: FH2 Edition  (Read 34599 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: ESAI (Enhanced Strategic AI) by Void BFSP
« Reply #45 on: 03-11-2010, 21:11:12 »
Well, it seems good. I can't figure out why the bots don't attack the bunker more though... Its right there. Don't they get attacked by the 88 or mgs... Do the Germans use them?

I do recall bots sitting inside the base, but missing the cap area completely, standing idle as though they were capping in the stairway, but clearly not in cap-radius. Maybe check out the bunker and see if that's what they are doing

As for the left flank attack through Matmata, I to-old ya :-) 
Seems to work that way like a charm. Hope its robust in the event the axis recap any of the bases... As in, the commander AI doesn't get screwed up with orders as to where to attack does it?

But it seems it would make for really interesting playing too...

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #46 on: 04-11-2010, 00:11:16 »
Initial Release

ESAI:FH2 version 1.3 - Featuring custom SAI for Mareth Line SP 64.

EDIT: No more downloads of this version. See the "official" ESAI:FH2 Releases thread to download the latest version of ESAI: Forgotten Hope 2 Edition.

Regarding Mareth Line:
You, as the human, will need to take the Command Bunker yourself. Let it stay German, and Toujane will fall. If Toujane falls, the Brits are in a very tough spot and will likely loose.

Regarding ESAI:
The nice thing about this is you guys can test things out, give me feedback, and the map AI can be updated without any of you having to twiddle with your level files again. I update ESAI, not your maps.

Be sure to "install" this ESAI to /mods/fh2

Give Mareth Line a whirl and let me know what you all think.
« Last Edit: 05-11-2010, 20:11:47 by Void »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04-11-2010, 08:11:16 »
great work, man. Will give you feedback by the end of the day

Is it possible to dump the contents of the SP3 file into my COOP file also. Would it work?
« Last Edit: 04-11-2010, 08:11:53 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 04-11-2010, 09:11:34 »
First Impressions:

Bots move quite swiftly to the front. First time I saw a Marder kill in this level, don't know if that's related. But airplanes are really deadly - Not a complaints. Actually quite interesting having to deal with them to save my tanks

I did note something though - Any attempt at the bunker was by commander orders, which changed quickly to Matmata or the Gap after a short time, so not enough units were able to get to the bunker before they had new orders. Bots do seem quite capable of capping it by themselves.

I kept switching sides to see what each army was doing. Germans sent a substantial force over to the bunker across the hill and they were only feet from capturing it, but somehow when I switched back to Germany, I noted they'd gone else where.

In the end, I had to go in myself, and another bot joined me to cap it.

The attack strategy is excellent though, and bots do use ma 2-pronged attack, but Mareth doesn't fall until at least after Matmata is capped - But I wont expect any less from a base that bears the level's name :-)

The AI commander clearly knows what he's doing. I think the killer to gameplay is not navmesh or commander AI any longer, but infantry seem rather lax regarding commands, and tank motion is unsure and that makes them only trickle to the front. Otherwise, this map definitely has been beefed up some

Great going, Void!!! We just need to try and get Drawde or somebody to work up another AI minimod to beef the individual AI a bit to make the strategy shine through.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 04-11-2010, 12:11:07 »
Awesome...we won 354-0 and I only capped 3 flags all round!... :o

Usually I'm the one doing all the work... :)

Considering the amount of obstacles and chokepoints on this map, the round played out well with zee Germans getting pushed back steadily. They put up a great fight though, retaking the Gap, Toujane, Matmata (twice), and Upper Gabes (twice).

Nor did they succumb to the pressure we put on 'em. Came sooo close to capping the last flag...just before it was about to go grey, some clever monkey decided it was time to annihilate everything that moved and started up a Tiger... ;D

The only thing I'm curious about, is why the Germans only seem to trickle out of the town once they only hold those two flags, i.e. their counterattack seems fairly weak... :-\

...I do recall bots sitting inside the base, but missing the cap area completely, standing idle as though they were capping in the stairway, but clearly not in cap-radius. Maybe check out the bunker and see if that's what they are doing...
Yep. When I first went in, there was a bot crouched in the hallway (outside cap-radius) and another in the room.

It does seem low-priority for the Brits. After we took Matmata the first time, 5 bots headed for the Bunker but were killed. Then it was ignored while they concentrated on Mareth. After it was taken, I'd see the odd squad making their way toward it, but then they'd drift off toward Mareth.

It's safe to assume the Germans think differently though. After I first got to the Bunker and killed the pair trying to cap it, I had to switch to SL so I could. While I waited for a bot to spawn on me, a German vehicle pulled up outside. I waited in the hall (expecting one, maybe two, bots) and a whole squad poured into the hall! This was about two minutes after killing the first pair.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #50 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:41 »
Is it possible to dump the contents of the SP3 file into my COOP file also. Would it work?

It's the same layer (2), so it should work fine if you do that.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #51 on: 04-11-2010, 18:11:19 »
The only thing I'm curious about, is why the Germans only seem to trickle out of the town once they only hold those two flags, i.e. their counterattack seems fairly weak...

The current strategy set for Mareth Line has no contingencies for the Germans. When they are pinned in the town they would be in a standard ESAI counterAttack*3 strategy, going for at least 3 different control points at once. The Germans should really max out at two attacks when trapped in Gabes.

If you guys want a proper German defense strategy running on Mareth Line, I can add one to the ESAI plugin. However, I don't think the British would stand a chance if I did it. I created the invasion plan and so know it's details; it should be easy to defeat it using a custom German defense/counter offensive.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 04-11-2010, 18:11:58 »
I tried it, and the bots generally improved behavior-wise.

Not just in Mareth, but in every other map they drive better, especially in Villers-Bocage (Large FCAPF), I saw bots drive through pass-able hedgerows without problems. We have a pretty enjoyable round in Villers-Bocage with German bots counter-attacking furiously, while the British reacted aggressively too.

However, it is still a slow round in Mareth Line, playing as British, the bots capped Toujane with much effort from the human players, then they pretty much stuck there for me. If it wasn't for other players raining down the arty on Mareth, it won't be captureable. The German bots are simply faaaar better this time, I feel the challenge now. Then this is the classical stalemate. Matmata, needs our help too to be captured, simply because the German bots spawned there too many times and in the command bunker.

My config: difficulty (80), count (48), ratio (50 - 24 vs 24+2 human players)

What I see so far (vs. default FH2.3+BF2 ESAI)

Bots do navigate better
Bots drive vehicles better
Bots don't camp too often, they now move for a reason
Bots will attack their objectives, no idle bots, except those manning weapon emplacements
Bots occasionally spawn in main base and take tanks into the frontline (NIIIICE!!!!)

However I notice these problems as well:

Pilot bots will fly off-map when intercepted. This behavior seldom appears, but noticed in almost every map featuring air battles. I tried Gazala.

Defender bots showed its superiority over the attacking one (to reconfirm your concern, yes it is true). For example, in Luettich (Medium FCAPF), despite having superior armor (Panther tanks), they still lose to American defenders due to clumsy attack tactics, that is storming and overwhelm the defenders, which would only work when they are in numbers. Sadly, they rarely group into numbers when attacking.

Special note:

It seems that bots won't continue to the second line flags, when all first line flags aren't captured yet, despite being able to. (e.g. in Goodwood (Large FCAPF), after capturing LePreiure, they just wait and stormed LeMesnilFrementel instead of going straight to Cagny flags, thus making them bleeding to defeat). This doesn't happen before. But overall they still fight better and more determined to attack, occasionally overrun human defenders with better tank navigation (which makes them more difficult to anticipate). The bots in Gazala (Large FCAPF) doesn't attack 2 fronts as well, they concentrated on 150th box, but left Sidi Muftah alone, trapping their offensive there when the British counter-attacked.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #53 on: 04-11-2010, 19:11:52 »
Pilot bots will fly off-map when intercepted. This behavior seldom appears, but noticed in almost every map featuring air battles. I tried Gazala.

Hmm, I've noticed ESAI seeming to cause this issue in XWW2 also. (XWW2 is ok mod I guess, but has AI issues just as funky as FH2 - if not even more "out there"). It doesn't happen under BF2 or any "Modern Combat" mod based on BF2. It must be AI issues with slower/less maneuverable planes in general.

The bots in Gazala (Large FCAPF) doesn't attack 2 fronts as well, they concentrated on 150th box, but left Sidi Muftah alone, trapping their offensive there when the British counter-attacked

Try the default Medium strategy set without any extras for Gazala and see how it plays. I just loaded this level up and looked at the #CPs + the SA neighboring, and largeFCAPF prob. isn't the best choice for it.

When choosing a map file (strategy set), you need to think of the map sizes in terms of the number of Flags and how they are neighbored, not in terms of geographic space. In general, start with the smaller sizes, then try the larger sizes if the smaller ones don't work.

The PF (push forward) strategy is only valid when there are more Safe SAs than SAs that are Fronts. Front and Safe are dynamic SA flags. a Front is a SA that has at least one enemy neighbor, while a Safe is a SA that has no enemy neighbors.

Furthermore, I may as well explain the PB (Protect Base) strategy while I'm at it. Understand that this strategy will never activate unless there is actually one or more SAs that are flagged as Bases. You must assign bases in the Gamemode's \AI\StrategicAreas.ai file.[/i]

The line to add, right after aiStrategicArea.addObjectTypeFlag ControlPoint, is aiStrategicArea.addObjectTypeFlag Base.

Now that you have bases in your map, the PB strat may actually protect them somewhat. PB doesn't order a defense on the threatened base - it spawns bots (usually) at the base and orders them to attack the nearest enemy CP.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #54 on: 04-11-2010, 19:11:58 »
Germans sent a substantial force over to the bunker across the hill and they were only feet from capturing it, but somehow when I switched back to Germany, I noted they'd gone else where.

ESAI was originally developed and tested under BF2 patch 1.41. FH2 requires the dreaded 1.5 patch (I really hate this fact!). The 1.5 patch seemingly makes the bots much more likely to ignore Commander orders, or to obey them more sluggishly.

Controlling bots via SAI code is like trying to manipulate puppets using rubber bands instead of string. The 1.5 patch makes the rubber bands even more "elastic."

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 05-11-2010, 00:11:57 »
Well, if anyone has no reason to play in any other format, or can afford to have both installations i.e 1.41 and 1.5, you can always get that back

Still, pitty its not as prominent a difference

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #56 on: 05-11-2010, 00:11:28 »
I've worked on, and finished, the SAI code for Villers Bocage. There was an error in the SA neighboring, but it is fixed now.

A major change in Villers is that at round start, all Germans are given defense orders for the three forward outposts. It helps more or less depending on initial spawn patterns, but at the very least gets German armor moving in the right direction for a counter attack, rather than having the German bots just idle around waiting for the British to cap a flag.

I'm going to to do another map or two before my next ESAI:FH2 release. Then you all will have several new maps to test.

Just trying to pick the next one to work on.....any requests?

EDIT: Looking at ZooMotorpool's post above, there are a few maps that need help. I'll see about Gazala next unless someone begs otherwise.

« Last Edit: 05-11-2010, 00:11:18 by Void »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 05-11-2010, 01:11:34 »
I know its a bit for Luttich, but it would make a big difference with what i suggested :-(

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 05-11-2010, 01:11:09 »

ESAI was originally developed and tested under BF2 patch 1.41. FH2 requires the dreaded 1.5 patch (I really hate this fact!). The 1.5 patch seemingly makes the bots much more likely to ignore Commander orders, or to obey them more sluggishly.

Actually it only requires the 1.5 patch to install it
You can then move it to your 1.41 install folder,and all seems to work fine

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #59 on: 05-11-2010, 02:11:41 »
Well, I'm about halfway through coding Gazala now, and will be finishing it before moving on.

I'm willing to rework Luttich, but I need precise details on where you want the new flags.

Just run around the map with ai debug rendering on, and write down the position coordinates for where you want the new flags to be. I need a list or diagram with numbered / named CPs and the desired position for each. I new diagram might be best.

Right now I am unclear on exactly how many new flags you want, and exactly where you want them.

Oh yeah, look at the files in the folder \fh2\ESAI\Debug\ to see how to enable ai debug output rendering to get the coordinates.