Author Topic: operation goodwood  (Read 14147 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: operation goodwood
« Reply #45 on: 09-12-2009, 18:12:29 »
Exactly

Germans have Marder Is at foward base alright, Brits have all their tanks - Germans should start spawning panthers, Stug and PZIVs soon after, but never do - Brits should cap Cagney completely as well the Marder base and the base closest to them to spawn the Tiger, but this doesn't happen

And it seems the Germans have like 6 or 7 hanomags in what my paranoid self feels is replacements to the tanks, somehow

I dunno how it happened... It just did - And yet I had seen tanks there before after I had replaced the Sherman with Cromwell, UCs with M3A1s. Even when I left it pure, there after (After I reinstalled everything), it still didn't spawn german tanks

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09-12-2009, 19:12:35 »
Today for the first time, after applying Legion{DcX}'s new AI, modifying several objects (replacing non working M4A1 with M4A3 and M5A1 with M3A1), i finally can finish one full round in Goodwood as British team. We won 224-0, with 22 bots on both sides, plus me on British side.

The flags at Cagny never stays long enough in British hand to spawn the King Tiger... i defend Grentheville (the closest flag to German main base) and only met several StuG40s, Panzer 4s, and Panthers. Finally i can try PIAT and see how ineffective it was compared to Schreks. I need all 4 rounds of PIAT to kill a Panther (hit to the front when he is trying to pass under the rail bridge, another from the sides when he passed the roads, one hit in the turret side from the top of a building, the last one hit the rear turret when i ran away after he stormed the building with MG and HE rounds), he caught fire, but did not explode. Luckily a bot brought his Universal Carrier in, so i can re-arm.

The bots with the Firefly stuck in Cagny recapping lost flags back and forth without a single German AT bots successfully killing him from the beginning of the round. Occasionally the bots will cross and put several Sherman Vs and Cromwells in Grentheville and Le Preiure. The German simply lost by massive ticket bleed although West Cagny and Grentheville changed hand several times... their Panzers simply cut off from the front (Cagny) when we stop them crossing Grentheville. The German bots have pretty annoying stuck point near Grentheville's Nebelwerfer. They stuck on the corner fences, trying to pass the narrow gap. Anybody with MG can get a good 5 to 10 kills just by spraying bullets there.

A very great map and great SP experience Normandy maps can offer!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09-12-2009, 20:12:24 »
I'm envious...

I am just reinstalling on the shite PC I was using up until the weekend... I should be able to play on lowest with up to 28 bots max

But I will give it a try...

Wait, you replaced the M5A1 tank with a halftruck? Wont that be a bit unbalanced in the German's favor?

What about the Universal Carrier?

That could explain my CTD... I only replace the UC-France and the Sherman II... Didn't know about the M5A1. So If i replaced that with say, an armored car, that should fix it right? The map wont CTD on me any longer?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10-12-2009, 04:12:38 »
I think editing the map with the editor could work. I will backup Goodwood, replace all the things that are not working, and then add Tigers and all that shit and test it out

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10-12-2009, 04:12:39 »
Nice one, Zoo...but there isn't any M5A1's on G.wood?

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10-12-2009, 06:12:50 »

M5A1 Halftracks (British version of US M3A1 Halftrack), not Stuarts.  Apparently, they don't work.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10-12-2009, 06:12:29 »
wierd, I searched for m5a1 and the search returned nothing... I only saw m3a1

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10-12-2009, 09:12:07 »
You should edit stuffs from BF2editor i suppose... editing them from text seems to sometimes causing an error due to typos and confusing object names.

The M5A1 half-track has AI code, but rather broken says Legion, so i replace with working M3A1. I re-edit them from conquest's GamePlayObjects.con, removing and making several un-navmeshed spawn points human-only. Now it works fine... but still problematical when playing as German, dunno why.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10-12-2009, 10:12:16 »

M5A1 Halftracks (British version of US M3A1 Halftrack), not Stuarts.  Apparently, they don't work.

What I mean is, the spawner name for all of the half-tracks in the SP GPO (GamePlayObjects) file is already m3a1...

rem [ObjectSpawnerTemplate: CP_64_Goodwood_AlliedBase_halftrack]
ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner CP_64_Goodwood_AlliedBase_halftrack
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe ObjectSpawner CP_64_Goodwood_AlliedBase_halftrack
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "winter"
ObjectTemplate.isNotSaveable 1
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 m3a1
ObjectTemplate.maxSpawnDelay 40
ObjectTemplate.maxNrOfObjectSpawned 2

It's m5a1_halftrack in CQ...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10-12-2009, 10:12:55 »

so, besides UC-France and Sherman II... what else do I need to modify to prevent CTD? Got tanks from the German side again...

Played a lovely round with Germans attacking from behind the hedgerows and halftrucks using the tank-battles as distraction to charge into the town of Cagney... only to get pwned by fireflies stationed there... first sign of trouble being a warning mg-spray from the tank before it fires a shell... So scenematic... AI is improving!

BTW, why should playing as German cause a CTD while playing as Brit doesn't.. eint it the same vehicles in each scenarios?

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 10-12-2009, 12:12:03 »
Dunno Djinn, might check it once again.

I have a theory like this: playing as Brits means i kill all the Germans who stuck in the fence near Grentheville's Nebelwerfer. While playing as Germans, i didn't kill them, in fact, stop them from taking Cagny, thus drawing fights there, relieving Grentheville. The bots will then stuck en masse, causing CTD as noted by ThomasLX in other thread (a very large group of stuck bots caused crash).

But haven't confirmed this.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 10-12-2009, 13:12:58 »
Seems plausible considering the fact that German bots have no known issues with vehicles I can think of..

However, I did CTD once when I displaced an American bot idly manning the mortar tube facing the nebelwerfer in PHL... Maybe some single script error

Could be similar here, except in a bot-bot situation - Those, I can imagine, are harder to detect, no?

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 10-12-2009, 13:12:27 »
Well, the SP, practically every SP map is unstable from what i reckon from Legion's post. This is due the vehicles don't have proper AI codes on them.

Sure you can play El-Alamein pretty well, and Mesra Matruh is quite stable... however, they do have big chance to crash than, for instance vanilla BF2 3rd-party navmeshed 64-size default maps. The problem is the vehicles and the weapons. The devs have been very nice on SP-aspect of the mod, but it is a very rushed job and many of the codes are borrowed from vanilla BF2 vehicles. Some are broken (for example the M5A1 halftrack, it is AI-coded, just broken). Many other BF2 mods out there are online-only, and they are a big failure. Even the venerable PR have dedicated SP-modders. As i stated many times before, SP can be like a test-drive... you aren't committed in buying a vehicle you don't really know. In-game videos simply can't do the mod a justice.

I'm very very thankful to both Winterhilf and Legion{DcX}, and not forgetting to thank previous FH SP devs for their hard work in their spare time. Coding is not easy, just look at any FH2's vehicle AI folder, and click open the AI.con file.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 10-12-2009, 14:12:22 »
It's always been a one-person job because getting the game out was always the top priority: Maps, skins, animation, sound ofcourse and the unsung heores, code...

AI, based on that, pales in priority, sadly, since it focuses on only those who care for iit - But the beauty of it is, it can be done by one dev, and independent modders like, formerly, WinterHilf (Now dev), and Legion(DCX)

because it doesn't face the same scrutiny as the rest of the game aspects, it can get away with being done by only one person, whicvh implies, being stretched too thin. I sure hope with that consideration, it would allow flexibility for help coming from external sources, like Legion

« Last Edit: 27-12-2009, 08:12:03 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27-12-2009, 08:12:30 »
EDIT: I should have just appended, but it doesn't show as a new post
I've found another bug!

Goodwood, like Fall of Tobruk's first 2 bases, like Alamein's kidney ridge allows double cap i.e the Germans cap it but it remains in British hands, unlike Fall, where its the first time being capped, or in Alamein which is Brits capping, in Goodwood, it is only when the Germans try to recover the 2 bases at their side of the railraod from the British, the game grinds to a halt because the Germans remain there trying to cap it, and it shows their flag, but remains a British base on the minimap.