Author Topic: Remick04's Custom SP maps! Cobra, Totalize w/ vehicles, Mt Olympus  (Read 1692 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
3 sweet maps to add to our list - Epic battles in Operation Cobra with active air, land and stationary positions, Mt Olympus with its rolling planes, panzergrau tanks and airsupport and Totalize as epic as they come with the typhoon, British Normandy truck and Churchill tank!

http://www.filefront.com/16345357/SP%20Mini-Mappack%201v.1.rar

Look up the AI code for the choo-choo train from the SP files...I recall Winterhilf uploaded them some time back cuz I know I've driven that thing before... Wont be too easy here though, where as humans will go 'aaaw' when they see it creeping at 10km/h, bot 88s will blow it away without a second thought.

The maps are, according to Remick04, with bugs regarding pathmapping and CTDs...
*In Skipper's voice (From madagascar)*'ok, boys, lets do what SPers do best. Let's debug these mothers' ;-) (Each has their own thread so use that, not here. Just say thank you and walk the fuck out.. kidding... but still, lets keep the bug reporting tidy)

Everyone, say thank you Remick04

"Thank you Remick04" - Djinn
« Last Edit: 04-05-2010, 18:05:49 by djinn »

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
dling.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
I wanted to take this opportunity to address a couple of issues:

First up is Fences. I have attempted 2 separate tactics with fences, the results of which you can find on Operation Cobra and Operation Totalize respectively. First up was Totalize in which I generated the Navmeshes with the fences as is. The result was the navmesh navigated around the solid fences and through the tiny openings and doors. That’s all fine and good for infantry, but the vehicles would all bunch up at the gates trying to squeeze through the little space with little success. So with Operation Cobra I told the navmesh to ignore the fence and just generate through them (because in Forgotten Hope most tanks can drive through fences) unfortunately I underestimated how important fences where to Infantry traffic and the result has infantry units trying to run through fences they don't know are there. I've try repairing this on both maps by adding and removing to the navmesh to try and get the infantry to avoid the fences and the tanks to drive through them. But I encountered a third problem. Bots in vehicles will not drive through an area that is not part of the infantry mesh even if the vehicle mesh tell them they can. Instead they will drive up to where the infantry mesh ends and then do a back and forth dance until they die. For now I'm going through and making sure the fences are obstacles for both infantry and vehicles to avoid while providing wide enough openings for the tanks to move smoothly, but you'll find the results of my battle with fences on both maps.

Unfortunately with fences as an obstacle for fences, it limits the number of paths for tanks to use, Which brings me to issue two… Tanks bunching up because they all chose the same path. I’m not sure what I can do the counter this. It’s nice have a strong column of tanks move through a map but if the first tank stops for any reason it cause serious traffic jam issues that the bots have trouble resolving. I’ve tried placing waypoint at alternate paths, but there is always one path the vehicles favor, with only a couple choosing to go another route. Best I can do is to make sure that main route is as clean for them as possible and hope that more will choose the alternate paths. But I’ve seen bot tanks get stuck trying to squeeze themselves through two trees when there was a wide open path right next to them. I’m not sure what more I can do to the navmeshes to combat what is often illogical choices in paths by the bots, But I’m determined to get it right!

Anyways enough rambling, I should to get back to work. But I wanted to let you guys know that I’m working real hard to get the bots to move through the maps smoothly and logically, but sometimes they are just not smooth or logical.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
First off,allow me to say,great work on adding SP,to the FH2,maps,much appreciated
Secondly,the narrowest part of a vehicle navmesh,"should" be wide enough for the largest vehicle to turn around in,unfortunately not always possible though

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
...Everyone, say thank you Remick04...
Cheers, big ears... ;D
« Last Edit: 07-05-2010, 13:05:14 by cannonfodder »

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
Ok so here is the updated versions of the maps:

http://www.filefront.com/16402449/SP-Mini-Mappack-1v.2.rar/

Again any problems let me know and I'll do my best to fix them. I may not have as much free time in the near future to work on these but I won't give up on them either. I do want to move on to new maps, but if there are any issues that need immediate resolveing I'll do my best.  ;)

And if their is anything wrong with the upload let me know, I have less free time today and tomarrow than I was hopeing for, so I was in a rush when I complied everything...

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
Ran Mt. Olympus 64 twice (with planes + train enabled) without a CTD, so whatever you've modified seems to have done the trick! :)

You've done a great job at setting up the AI for this map, it seems to play better than most of the "official" AI-supported maps do - bots seem to be able to cope with open ground tank battles, infantry combat in the town, villages + castle, and air combat equally well, and don't get fixated on one or two CPs (as on Luttich and Op. Aberdeen, for example), with plenty of fighting in all areas of the map.

Haven't had time to try out the other two maps yet, will have a look at these tomorrow. The only comment I can make so far is that neither Normandy map has a strategies.ai file - this isn't essential for Olympus as it's a "headon" map with both sides attacking - but Totalise, in particular, could do with a strategies file to let the Germans know when to defend and when to counterattack.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
I'm glad to hear the update is an actual update, I was afraid the changes I made were too subtle to make any noticeable difference. I did the best I could with all 3 maps, I'm particularly proud of Mount Olympus, but I think I had learned from my mistakes with the other 2 by the time I got to Olympus.

I think I was confusing Strategies.ai with StategicAreas.ai when I was talking about editing the strategies. I was doing all my work with the Strategic Areas in the map editor, so you're right there is no stategies.ai for totalize or cobra. With my limited knowledge at present I don't know how to set up a stategies.ai. But I’d be honored if you want to tackle this for me. I have complete faith in your abilities and know you could probably get the maps to play far better than I ever could. So have at it.

Operation Cobra could probably do with a little more work on its navmesh, (bots still get stuck on fences particularly around the German airfield) but I'm overall content with how they all play, so I'm moving on to a new set of maps. I'm just waiting to see what’s included in the upcoming 2.26 update before I get too far.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
Ok so I've updated the maps to include any new toys in the 2.26 release (cannonfodder if you wouldn't mind adding this to the sticky of download links):

http://www.filefront.com/16452779/2.26%20SPMini-Mappack%201v.2.rar

I've tested all 3 maps and they seem to work fine, occasional CTD but likely issues we already know about. The biggest problem is on Mount Olympus... unless I'm mistaken and I screwed something up in the installation of 2.26 it would appear that they redid the overgrowth on the map. Which means a lot of the trees are in different locations then when I navmeshed the map. Generally it doesn't cause too much of a problem, but occasionally vehicles driving through wooded areas will get stuck on trees they don't know are there. I'm really hoping I screwed something up on my end because the easiest way for me to fix this would require a complete re-navmeshing of the map, which isn't so easy. So for now I'm leaving it as is, I have other projects to work on and there are other maps that need navmeshing. But I'll see what I can do about fixing it in the future.