Author Topic: Questions Thread  (Read 85816 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Thread
« Reply #465 on: 15-07-2013, 21:07:33 »

Thanks, I knew you would elaborate on this one :)

I was going deeper at first, but then I realised Im out of time and had to run, leaving only a very shortie post instead.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: 15-07-2013, 23:07:54 »
Well, it is a battle, not a whole campaign. So Operation Barbarossa or "Kursk" simply cannot be included to the counter list.
Like I said ;)

Moreover, the Japanese never really took advantage over their surprise victory on Pearl Harbour
Not true, the Japanese used the time the Americans needed to recover from Pearl Harbor, to conquer South East Asia as far as they could, with great successes.

Thanks, I knew you would elaborate on this one :)

I was going deeper at first, but then I realised Im out of time and had to run, leaving only a very shortie post instead.
Nevermind, you can still post it later when you have more time. Or link to a previous post you made about this (I seem to remember you did) ;)

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: 15-07-2013, 23:07:01 »
Well, it is a battle, not a whole campaign. So Operation Barbarossa or "Kursk" simply cannot be included to the counter list.
Then isn't the Battle of Britain also more a campaign than a battle?
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: 16-07-2013, 00:07:47 »
Different discussion actually, and not really important either, imo ;)

Do you agree or disagree with this dude, and if not what do you think were the most important battles?

On a related note, I also believe that WWII as a whole didn't really have a strictly decisive singular set of engagements

This is a matter of perception, and thuis it is personal. It is also semantics: battle, campaign, strategic or tactical victory, you can split and/or lump as much as you like: it will take pretty long before it gets ridiculous.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: 16-07-2013, 04:07:32 »
Well, since CPS' friend is pretty detailed and careful in making that list, I think we need to be on the same level as well. There are many aspects that define battles or engagements or just skirmishes, from scope of location and also time.

About the Pearl Harbour, whether it happened or not, I think the South East Asia conquest would still proceed unhindered. Other than the public morale boost, Pearl Harbour also change the eagerness for USA to enter the war. I doubt that without Pearl Harbour, the US would deploy a full scale intervention forces to stop Japanese advance. I need more opinions on this though.

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #470 on: 16-07-2013, 09:07:48 »
Barbarossa is a Campaign which involved Army Group Size actions on multiple fronts.

Kursk on the other hand is an Operation(Operation:Zitadelle) which involved 1/3 of German Eastern Front in a small area. So you can't call this a "campaign."
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: 16-07-2013, 16:07:57 »
A campaign is a phase of a war involving a series of operations related in time and space and aimed towards a single, specific, strategic objective or result in the war. A campaign may include a single battle, but more often it comprises a number of battles over a protracted period of time or a considerable distance, but within a single theatre of operations or delimited area. A campaign may last only a few weeks, but usually lasts several months or even a year.[1]

Yes, Operation Zitadelle is a campaign.  Just like Operation Overlord is also known as the "Normandy Campaign."  The D-Day Landings were "Operation Neptune".  Operations are something entirely different:

Military operations can be classified by the scale and scope of force employment, and their impact on the wider conflict. The scope of military operations can be:

Theater: this describes an operation over a large, often continental area of operation and represents a strategic national commitment to the conflict such as Operation Barbarossa, with general goals that encompass areas of consideration outside of the military such as the economic and political impacts.
    Campaign: this describes either a subset of the theatre operation, or a more limited geographic and operational strategic commitment such as Battle of Britain, and need not represent total national commitment to a conflict, or have broader goals outside of the military impacts.
    Battle: this describes a subset of a campaign that will have specific military goals and geographic objectives, as well as clearly defined use of forces such as the Battle of Gallipoli, which operationally was a combined arms operation originally known as the "Dardanelles landings" as part of the Dardanelles Campaign, where about 480,000 Allied troops took part.
    Engagement: this describes a tactical combat event of contest for specific area or objective by actions of distinct units. For example the Battle of Kursk, also known from its German designation as Operation Citadel, included many separate engagements, several of which were combined into the Battle of Prokhorovka. The "Battle of Kursk" in addition to describing the initial German offensive operation (or simply an offensive), also included two Soviet counter-offensive operations: Operation Kutuzov and Operation Polkovodets Rumyantsev.
    Strike: this describes a single attack, upon a specified target. This often forms part of a broader engagement. Strikes have an explicit goal, such as, rendering facilities inoperable (e.g. airports), to assassinating enemy leaders, or to limit supply to enemy troops.

And as for Battle:

The use of the term "battle" in military history has led to its misuse when referring to almost any scale of combat, notably by strategic forces involving hundreds of thousands of troops that may be engaged in either a single battle at one time (Battle of Leipzig) or multiple operations (Battle of Kursk).
« Last Edit: 16-07-2013, 16:07:18 by VonMudra »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: 16-07-2013, 17:07:28 »
I like to use the word "campaign" when I talk about Tali-Ihantala since it lasted for so many days and the battle had several stages and it was not focused into just one area, not to forget the quantity of men and equipment of both sides. I dont know if anyone would agree with me on that logic but I just think "battle" makes it sound kind of small. Just like something like "Battle of El Alamein" makes it sound like its just a brawl while in reality it was a massive multi-staged operation on a rather large front involving large numbers of men and material.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: 16-07-2013, 18:07:24 »
As noted in the above quotes, battle is a sorely misused term.  For instance, battle can mean everything from the "Battle of Mont Ormel" (an actual battle by definition), to "The Battle of France", which refers to the entire German offensive in 1940.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: 17-07-2013, 16:07:51 »
I thought about posting this in the Realityforums, but then i had to create another account..

Ok! Weapons talk, this L85a2 in PR. When the soldier reloads and hits that green button behind the magazine catch. What is it called? I know on the other side is the bolt release catch, but how about this one, or what does it do?
The animation that follows in PR: British soldier takes out the magazine, puts a fresh one in, hits the green button behind the magazine release catch, then he hits on the other side, which he strikes the bolt release catch, then ready for firing.

Again, what is this green button behind the magazine release called? :) 

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: 17-07-2013, 17:07:06 »
Could be the safety switch...

Other than that, no idea.
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: 17-07-2013, 17:07:43 »
I believe the safety catch is above the trigger guard (that looks like a pin).
Yeah, i still do not know what that green button behind the magazine catch is?

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: 17-07-2013, 17:07:01 »
As noted in the above quotes, battle is a sorely misused term.  For instance, battle can mean everything from the "Battle of Mont Ormel" (an actual battle by definition), to "The Battle of France", which refers to the entire German offensive in 1940.

I always thought that the term is "The Battle for France."

But the massive air campaign over Britain is always famously remembered as "Battle of Britain." That includes Operation Eagle Attack and series of other uncoordinated attacks on British cities which is not the objective of Operation Eagle Attack by the Luftwaffe.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: 17-07-2013, 21:07:12 »
Green switch appears to be fire selector switch, with safety being the catch above the magazine.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: 21-07-2013, 23:07:45 »
Does anyone have information about use of poison gas on the WW1 fronts the Ottomans fought on?