Author Topic: Battlefield 4 announced  (Read 8596 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 4 announced
« Reply #15 on: 17-07-2012, 20:07:21 »
Didnt see this one coming.  8)

I like my money in my wallet.  8)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17-07-2012, 20:07:35 »
Why don't they just name it Battlefield 2013 like they do with all their other franchises (I'm still waiting when NFS will also get this treatment)? That would be far more honest.

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17-07-2012, 20:07:54 »
weak weak weak...

Now the BF series have become a true COD clone, with spawning out a new title every 6 months

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17-07-2012, 20:07:58 »
Not falling for that BS again...

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17-07-2012, 21:07:35 »
How we got this information.

http://youtu.be/Mw7iVr5rWQE

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18-07-2012, 00:07:02 »
Wake me up when there is a sequel to Battlefield 1942, will ya?

« Last Edit: 18-07-2012, 00:07:02 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

azreal

« Reply #21 on: 18-07-2012, 01:07:12 »
meh, BF = new CoD series. I bought MoH 2010, hoping to get access to the BF3 beta in September. I was hoping (at the time) BF3 would be the ultimate revival of the BF series, seeing as how I thought all games after BF2 were pretty lackluster.

I was pretty pissed to find out the BF3 beta wouldn't go live until Sept. 25th, and once I got it, I couldn't even run it at the time since my PC was so bad. Given the fact that MoH 2010/Warfighter don't "tickle my fancy", I'll keep my money in my pocket for ACIII. Hopefully though, BF4 goes somewhere else other than modern times. I'm sick and tired of games trying to cash in on the success of the Cod franchise by pumping out a game every year.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18-07-2012, 05:07:56 »
I will be sorely disappointed if it is not in either World War 2, or the future they established in 2142. If its another modern warfare game its going to have to be pretty impressive for me to buy it.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18-07-2012, 08:07:34 »
Especially as the closed Beta for the MoH Limited Edition buyers went on just for a week and then opened up to a general beta... oh the shit-storms last October. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18-07-2012, 08:07:25 »
the way I see it, if they manage to make it as good, or better than BF3, then that's all that matters. And that would be an insane achievement by the studio. To pull off such massive title again?

Imagine we would rebuild FH2 again... not re-using anything (dice doesnt do that) but actually re-creating FH2 in to say, "FH3"... even if it's the same weapons, same theme, same everything (ww2) wouldnt that be a crazy achievement? Feels impossible right now for any non-profit team to do what we have done over the last 7 years with FH2.

Dont look at the package. Just because there is a soldier holding a contemporary weapon doesnt mean it's the same game. If you'd look at a picture of "FH3" and see a german holding a K98, then you see comments on the internet like "meh, they just copy pasted fh2 in to fh3" you'd rage and defend us, because you'd know we went in with all our heart and soul making new weapons for fh3, struggling with new tech etc etc... same is for dice. Each new game is a new challenge. If "BF4" is set in the same timeframe as BF3, it won't make the title less hard to do, won't make the combat experience less fun & exciting. It won't be a "copy paste" job. Only shallow people who looks at the package says that, you know those "you tube commentary" type people who doesnt really care or understand how games are made or how hard it can be, for them it's easy to just look at any modern military shooter and say "cod clone".
If the team behind whatever-the-next-bf-title-will-be manages to make again what the bf3 team did, then stand in awe, because then they finally proved themselves being the best shooter studio there is, hands down.

About MOH:WF, I dont think it looks half-bad, some of the new features in the video looks cool, and it looks to me as if they're using frostbite in the video, not sure. But I didnt hear him say Objective mission, very bad move to not include that IMO. TDM and Sector control are ok, but the linear progression in Objective is what MoH is all about, and has been since the first one...

On the other hand...isn't MoH:WF up against CoD:BlackOps 2 this year...? we'll see how that goes...

Last note: Yes, a Battlefield in WW2 with frostbite 2 would be sexy, I really hope it will come, even if it would be as a DLC like BC2:vietnam or back to karkand was, Id be happy.
Let's say they did; Omaha Beach, Market Garden, El Alamein & some pure inf CQ map set in europe (Liberation of Caen maybe) then we'd get everything we need for some time; plane battles, tank battles, a mix of open and closed environments, towns, inf fights etc...

Then ofcourse, when we have killed 1942,000,000 soldiers in game, they release a 5th map for free: Battle of Britain!!! Think about a frostbite sky filled with high-poly planes, the Ju88 dropping bombs over destructible environment, frostbite plane sounds... *drool*  :P
« Last Edit: 18-07-2012, 09:07:37 by Natty »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18-07-2012, 10:07:46 »
This again? Wake me when they take the MoH series back to where it belongs.

Maybe if they did that they wouldn't need to try and boost it's sales by including beta access to the next BF game... ::)

And BF4's setting?

My guess is they'll either give us another modern day "what if" scenario, this time with China as the bad guy...

Or, more likely, they'll follow COD and go forward...but not as far forward as 2142.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:36 »
I get the feeling that "setting" has become completely irrelevant for most players. I mean, no one is pretending the game to be "real war" anymore. What matters is; fun & balanced maps, great weapons that feel & sound good when you use them, interesting progression that gives you cool things when you play, a strong social platform so you can play with friends easy. Long replayability in the maps so you don't get fed up after playing them 10 times, and the last; cater to all kinds of players; roamers, snipers, teamplayers, rushers, pilots, tankers, CQ freaks etc... Give all their playground where they can shine.
Make all those succesful and the game is a hit.
How the models of the houses look (eastern european, middle eastern, american, french) is secondary.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:37 »
One could argue, that the setting is irrelevant nowadays, as no one knows any other setting any more. Since 2007 we've seen an almost never ending stream of AAA Modern Warfare Shooters. That's an entire gamer generation in computer gaming time.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:40 »
that's one way to look at it.

The other is; in 2002 games were these static, dead worlds. In bf42 maybe you had to add the "ww2" background to it to make it interesting, I mean imagine playing most of those maps in a made-up environment/conflict. No one would do it, because frankly the maps themselves werent that interesting.

However hop in to BF3. The entire game breathes and lives by itself. The world is so compelling and cool, why add some arbitrary "hey, you're in berlin now" meta-story to it? For me it's enough to pretend Im in Karkand or Caspian, I don't need any real-world to compare to. The games nowadays are good enough to not have to pretent to be a real place. That is why sci-fi shooters might come back, they never got really popular before because the engines couldnt produce a believble sci-fi world with its own vegitation, physics, light, architecture, sound environments etc that the new engines can.

And why do we need games to simulate real life? I play games to get away from real life, hop in to some mad environment where you do what you want, i get nothing from it pretending to be a real place really, the only thing I care about is if the place gives me tools i cna use to kill the enemy, like flanking space, cover, cleverly designed game space, I pick that over a real-life replica any day.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:43 »
And Words! So many words! Killed something? Have this words! WUUUUUUUUURRRDSSS.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, TB made a nice job on that one :D
« Last Edit: 18-07-2012, 14:07:19 by Musti »
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!