Author Topic: Traction Wars - WW2 realistic FPS  (Read 47218 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Traction Wars
« Reply #240 on: 31-08-2013, 00:08:26 »
Too bad you can't use this in a game.. like ever.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 31-08-2013, 00:08:35 »
Not sure if this is official but on the German side (in a game), you can choose between a MG34 or MG42. :)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 31-08-2013, 01:08:41 »
Not sure if this is official but on the German side (in a game), you can choose between a MG34 or MG42. :)

He meant the high poly model... Actually I think you could... That is if the game was solely about firing the MG 34 in a vast space of nothingness  ;D
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 31-08-2013, 01:08:51 »

Too bad you didn't read the dev blog:

Of course, the model as shown in these rendered images cannot be imported into the engine directly. It is too detailed for a real-time 3D environment with its polygon count consisting of over 2 million triangles.

So you might wonder why we go to such lengths and produce these intricate models if they cannot be of immediate use for the game. Well, as some might know, the answer is quite simple. This whole process serves as a basis for several texture maps that are generated from a high poly model and ultimately these textures are then applied to a low poly weapon in order to give it the appearance and fidelity of the high detail version.

The most important texture to be gained from a high poly model would be a normal map. It basically interacts with the light in the game engine to create the illusion of structural details on surfaces that are actually flat. In the end, this saves a lot of rendering cost and the appearance of a low poly model consisting of several thousands of triangles will closely match the high detail version of the model.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 31-08-2013, 01:08:30 »
Looks pimp.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 31-08-2013, 02:08:30 »

Too bad you didn't read the dev blog:

Of course, the model as shown in these rendered images cannot be imported into the engine directly. It is too detailed for a real-time 3D environment with its polygon count consisting of over 2 million triangles.

So you might wonder why we go to such lengths and produce these intricate models if they cannot be of immediate use for the game. Well, as some might know, the answer is quite simple. This whole process serves as a basis for several texture maps that are generated from a high poly model and ultimately these textures are then applied to a low poly weapon in order to give it the appearance and fidelity of the high detail version.

The most important texture to be gained from a high poly model would be a normal map. It basically interacts with the light in the game engine to create the illusion of structural details on surfaces that are actually flat. In the end, this saves a lot of rendering cost and the appearance of a low poly model consisting of several thousands of triangles will closely match the high detail version of the model.

Actually, I did. And I typed "in a game", not "in the game". Meaning any game out there. It was just a sigh, because I'd love to see HQ stuff like this in a game one day.

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 02-09-2013, 08:09:53 »
Really interesting blog, always wondered why devs go to such lengths.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 02-09-2013, 23:09:01 »
This is absolutely breathtaking! I must admit that I never really took too much interest in Traction Wars, but after having a look at your website and the screenshots in this topic, I am hooked. Like really hooked  :o .
A WWII game with a real focus on realism is just amazing. I think that TW will be the first game of it's kind. There are only two things that bother me: Is it possible to create good AI support for this a bit later? What I am thinking about are vehicles that drive and manoeuvre like they should, bots that cannot look through bushes and grass, etc. If so, then it will be my new favourite game very soon  :D . Also, where can I download the sdk to try my hand at mapping? If it works on the ludicrously slow laptop that I am currently stuck with, that is. While I am at it, what specs should my new computer have to run it maxed out to the limit? Also, does anyone know if the sdk includes African statics? I would prefer creating a desert map for my first try and, depending on my success maybe even make a few maps for the North African theatre that will (hopefully) follow Operation Overlord.

At any rate, I would like to let you know that this is in my eyes one of the very PC games ever that you are just creating  :-* !

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 03-09-2013, 05:09:49 »
Thanks for kind supportive words :)

You can download the SDK here (scroll down and you can see the specs): http://www.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4

To my knowledge there are no African themed statics or such in the SDK. Although I work inside the Traction Wars game build so I don't remember what all the default content looks like. But I'm fairly sure there is nothing like African stuff in the default SDK.

Yes its possible of course to create intensivly useful AI support, but its not at all a priority for us so I don't know when we will include AI/bots :)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 03-09-2013, 05:09:16 »
Thank you for your quick reply! That sounds great, really! I am so looking forward to playing the game when it is released  :D . I think that further down the road, TW may eventually replace FH2 and become it's worthy successor. Just think of all the endless possibilities... Ah, I see a glorious future for Traction Wars.

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 03-09-2013, 21:09:17 »
Yes the CE3 SDK is very awesome, so much better than the slow-to-use BF2 editor...
I myself is a bit experienced with mapping in CE3, planning to become a dev for TW hopefully in the future.

When I first saw TW... I was literally hooked and I knew this was the future of a realistic WW2 game. With a bit of patience you will see it get released. ;)
Another thing about Traction Wars, the community is just amazing, nice and friendly. Think of what it will be like in-game. :D

...I would prefer creating a desert map for my first try...
Actually it might work, the CE3 SDK has a few desert textures, but you might have to add/make some to get the full realism effect.
Even you could make something like a "desert oasis", make a lake then add some palm trees around it. :D

To sum it all up, the CryENGINE 3 is amazing in every respect.
« Last Edit: 10-06-2014, 19:06:51 by Roughbeak »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 05-09-2013, 22:09:40 »
Thank you for the information, Roughbeak! I just realised that I have to register somewhere before I can use the editor. Is there a catch or can I safely proceed and create an account? At any rate, I shall first create a map inspired by the African colonies, complete with a Savannah. That way I do not have to use too many sand textures  ;D .

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 05-09-2013, 23:09:10 »
Create an account on http://www.crydev.net/, no catch, its the official website  :)

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 05-09-2013, 23:09:01 »
Sir Apple is right. :)

---------

The thing about CE3 SDK is this, bunch of tutorials:

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Home         <--- the encyclopedia of it.

Youtube: World of Level Design, Jed Sanderson, and many others

« Last Edit: 10-06-2014, 19:06:12 by Roughbeak »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 05-09-2013, 23:09:19 »
I would like to thank both of you so much! I will get started right away and let you know how it works out for me  :D .