Author Topic: The Minor Suggestions Thread  (Read 64712 times)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
The Minor Suggestions Thread
« on: 20-03-2013, 18:03:38 »
I tought I would pop up a thread for all your suggestions and the discussions that you wouldnt want to create a whole new thread about. Also minor stuff are more considered by the devs. You got something in your mind that you dont think you should start a huge discussion about? Why not post it here then? ;D

Let me do the first one:

Add more seats to the Fiat truck. If all the other trucks have a lot, this one needs too.

Post yours! Lets see the stuff which was stuck in the corner of your brain.  :D

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: The Minor Suggestions Thread
« Reply #1 on: 20-03-2013, 21:03:36 »
The ability to duck for "tank commanders"...

And the vehicle sliding issue... I know Kev was doing some stuff with it for the last few patches and it has improved... But seems PR has brought it to perfection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PhAJo0pZ6i8#t=189s
« Last Edit: 20-03-2013, 21:03:47 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-03-2013, 21:03:16 »
The ability to duck for "tank commanders"...

You mean the seat in the commander cupola of the tank right? I mthougt the exact same thing tody would be really great.

Offline DocHawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-03-2013, 02:03:47 »
Increase the number and presence of light vehicles, like trucks and jeeps, and pickup kits at almost every flag.

Additionally the locations of ammo crates should be shown on the map.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-03-2013, 19:03:05 »
Add vehicle drop option for German commander only in the map Crete.

Offline Pejsaty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-03-2013, 19:03:19 »
I would like to see more open buildings in the flagzones....

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-03-2013, 22:03:36 »
What I think is sorely needed are more violent death sounds (no Hollywood BS, though) and incapacitated sound effects similar to what EOD had.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-03-2013, 22:03:43 »
Normally I am all for realism and immersion but I always disliked the death screams in games. Sometimes they are utter rubbish and sometimes they are done too well.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-03-2013, 20:03:26 »
Flares should stay longer on the air and have a longer tracer. Like this:

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-03-2013, 22:03:44 »
Normally I am all for realism and immersion but I always disliked the death screams in games. Sometimes they are utter rubbish and sometimes they are done too well.

I see what you mean. It would therefore be marvelous if someone could integrate such sound effects into a sound mod. In my opinion, that is what is still really missing in FH2. The absence of these sounds make FH2 feel arcadish and unfinished, in my opinion. Another point is, that the implication of such changes would also positively affect the gamepay: If a section moves into one of the numerous backyards in Anctoville and the first lad who is unfortunate enough to enter it first and is bayonetted by a German, the survivors will (most likely) turn and run. It's similar to the suppression shaders, since it makes players more careful and less COD-like.
I would also like to note that all boots with hobnails and/or heelplates/toe caps are way too silent on hard surfaces right now. My ammo boots are even rather noisy on gravel, so that should also be looked into.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-03-2013, 22:03:18 »
Bayonet charges need to be improved alot. The soldier should point the bayonet point low and tilted upwards slightly while charging. It would be great if we could also get an animation for using the butt of the rifle as a weapon when the enemy is too close to thrust the bayonet into him. A perfect description of how a charge should be conducted can be found in W.E. Fairbairn's book "All-in Fighting", together with two drawings that illustrate it further. I have the book, but I am unshure if I may scan the page, being afraid to breach a copyright. Also, the soldiers in FH2 seem to be all relaxed and langorous when handling the bayonet. This ought to be changed. The implementation of that groan one makes after thrusting the bayonet are already a step into the right direction, but a real charge is usually accompanied by loud screaming and yelling. This could be realised in FH2 by making the player yell for about ten seconds additionally to thrusting the rifle after hitting the left mouse button. Of course it would be better to reserve yelling to the right mouse button, but as far as I know, this is not possible due to engine limitations. Unfortunately, there are close to no realistic videos on this topic and surprisingly few pictures.
However, I found an older training video of the British Army on bayonet training with the L1A1 and a WWII. photograph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzxb2sxbDU , http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/3315106-bayonet-charge-by-marines-during-training-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=1LnYR%2FJa0wwC3xrOkmx%2Bf4F0L5%2FxYfeLWVk9o0yjzaVEehxWRkdFfXrXYwq8SSG3A7kMeiUwWEaflEcGqA9Azg%3D%3D

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-03-2013, 23:03:02 »
I definately like the idea of hitting with the rifle stock.

The yelling might be good if implemented properly.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-03-2013, 23:03:09 »
The last thing I want to have when using a bayonet is a loud scream... In FH2 they are supposed to be silent weapons, used when you are sneaking upon an unsuspecting enemy, alone at an enemy flag, commando style...

Besides, if you want screaming while stabbing there's always the "CHARGE" button on the commo-rose...

The fact is that a bayonet charge could never actually work in FH 2... There are a few reasons...

1. A charge is not made of one lonely man
2. If you are charging, you run at the enemy, the soldiers in FH 2 don't actually have a running speed anymore, it's just a bit faster jog
3. You can't shoot with your bayonet on, making you extremely weak in medium range...

Now, the only way a bayonet charge could work would have to have these issues resolved...

The first one is easy, all it needs is a willing squad (but nobody is willing to do it if he knows it's bloody pointless).

The second one is a bit harder to solve, ideally there would be a way to run faster while having the bayonet attached... Don't think that's possible in the engine (maybe make rifleman class run faster?).

The third one... Well we all know it's an engine issue...
The only way I could see that work would be if you could somehow keep your bayonet attached and simply switch to it, without the animation (sort of like how it works in Mount and Blade, you press X to switch to melee mode). But that would be ridiculous if everyone had their bayonets on all the time...

So ideally in close quarter maps, and maps where it's historically plausible there should be some kits with bayonets permanently attached... (those that come to mind are Tunis, Giarabub, Ramelle etc.) So you don't lose time on the animation and can stab right away.
« Last Edit: 30-03-2013, 23:03:09 by LuckyOne »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-03-2013, 23:03:21 »
@ Commando I totally agree on that. I can already imagine quite alot of individuals (the same kind of guys who use wallhacks, do bunny-hopping, dolphin-dive, etc.) hit their left mouse button just to sound like a bloody badass and thereby ruining the entire atmosphere. It may be worth considering to implement the attack with the stock as a second melee weapon for all soldiers who are issued an Enfield. This would also help to remove the FS knife-bias in this game. You know, I love FS knives, also having bought one and Fairbairns books to learn how to use it. I just simply adore that weapon. Alas, it was not as popular with regular troops as FH2 suggests. Some soldiers did have one as a private purchase, but they were a minority. The P1907 bayonet could also be used as a tool, hence making it very well liked, so many soldiers did not even want another edged weapon. Regular soldiers usually only used the bayonet (P1907 or Mk. I.) or the intrenching tool for close combat. So, basically I would suggest inproving the bayonet charges plus making bayonets more numerous in FH2.
@ Luckyone The bayonet is basically the exact opposite of a silent weapon. I do understand what you want to say, though. On top of that, avoiding to scream during a charge is very difficult because of all the adrenaline that floods your body and because of fear/ rage and other emotions that echo through your head. Apart from that, I have used bayonet attacks to great effect in FH2, but I have to admit that the engine limitations are making it very difficult indeed. I'd like to rspond in more detail, but I am very tired. I shall continue writing tomorrow.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-03-2013, 23:03:06 »
Alright, maybe the yell can be added to the RMB? I mean, there's a trigger for the iron-sights probably, so maybe it can be made to play a sound?

Also seems that WW II bayonet fighting had much more to it than I thought... Here's some interesting videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1tTSSEFBmZs&feature=endscreen