Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179214 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #210 on: 06-10-2009, 00:10:30 »
This is so weird. I thought I was gonna get chopped off for giving the thumbs up for this movie lol

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #211 on: 10-10-2009, 22:10:56 »
Knowing (2009) Starring Nicholas Cage

This movie was done perfectly, except one big, retarded flaw: The Ending.  This movie suffers from Highlander Syndrome.  The ending was so ridiculously retarded that this movie was not worth the 15 minutes of idiocy displayed in the end of the film.

0/5

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 12-10-2009, 12:10:00 »
Ok, I came home drunk yesterday and there was this film on. I don't know the name and I forgot which station it was on, so can anybody help me?

Basically there were some gangsters doing a heist in some depot area and a police squad who drove some kind of apc with a prisoner. The police sqad was ambushed by some guys who wanted to free the prisoner I guess. The police then joined forces with the gangsters to defend the depot area against some splinter cell dudes or something. I think it was a french movie and had a slight dystopian future feel to it.
Any ideas?

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #213 on: 12-10-2009, 12:10:24 »
Knowing (2009) Starring Nicholas Cage

This movie was done perfectly, except one big, retarded flaw: The Ending.  This movie suffers from Highlander Syndrome.  The ending was so ridiculously retarded that this movie was not worth the 15 minutes of idiocy displayed in the end of the film.

0/5

I like the initial perspective that the movie makes you feel, we are insignificant to the universe, we can travel a 1000 miles left or right with great ease, but if we try and venture 2 miles up, we're going to get fucked by the universe literally.  

The movie did make realise my own mortality, I wonder though CnJ if you were intelligent enough to grasp what the writer was trying to explain at the very end? The bible? The apple tree?  Adam and Eve?  I though the ending (although seemingly ridiculous to you and I) was still more plausible that a supreme being who created everything in 7 days and then left us to fend for ourselves.

Yes, yes, yes, aliens are hard to 'relate' to, but then we haven't really met any have we.  I am still susceptible to the ideology that human life was not a random outcome of a chain of circumstantial events that stretch back over 4 billion years.  I would like to hope that this is not all "irrelevant".  

Therefore I gift Knowing starring Nicolas Cage with a score of 3 out of 5.

For me it could have scored 5 out of 5, if;

a) Nicolas wasn't the typical Americanised genius who becomes an alcoholic after his loss of faith, only to recapture his model genius after seeing a child smile, or some bollocks like that.

b) The story was more gritty, i.e. get rid of the fucking children, children can't act, it's a fact, they flatten a story into a 12A rating and make dialogue seem even more contrived than Nicolas Cages wooden performance.
« Last Edit: 12-10-2009, 12:10:01 by von.small »
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #214 on: 14-10-2009, 13:10:30 »
Superman
- The original from '78 with Reeves. Pretty charming still, actually! The special effects maybe ain't that special anymore but still a good watch.

6 out of 10

Superman Returns (2008)
- Second time seeing this. And I liked it more this time around. Not the same story over and over, Superman returns to Earth after being away for a long time and finds Lois married with children. Kevin Spacey, as always, awesome.

7 out of 10

Offline KoOk13

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 14-10-2009, 13:10:51 »
... than Nicolas Cages wooden performance.

thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only one who thought Nicolas Cage is one of the worst actors on screen today.

last movie i've seen which is worth mentioning is the movie called "Big Nothing". It's a 2006 movie which was not very known in my country (Belgium) but nonetheless great fun to watch, not only due to the humour used in it but also the acting was very well done and entertaining. It's about a nice guy who writes books for a living, but being fed up with the fact that his wife, who is a cop, provides for his family, he teams up with a stranger he meets, to blackmail a priest into paying a large sum of money. the plan is simple, until things start to go wrong.

very nice black humour, with a surprising end aswell. best movie i've seen in quite a while.
Put this in your dyslectic if you're signature

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 14-10-2009, 22:10:04 »
George Lucas debut movie, Francis Ford Coppola as executive producer and Robert Duvall as the main character.

THX 1138

I've always been fascinated with books and movies about "control-societies", like 1984 etc.
This movie is about one man (THX 1138, or Robert Duvall) who is a normal grunt working with building robots (robots who, when done, are used for policing and guardin duties). THX 1138 falls in love with his roommate LUH and later on he becomes chased and finally manages to escape the city, out from the grasp of the evil government.

A fairly good movie, the subject really interests me and that gives it a big plus. However it was a bit slow and... "sterile", luckily it was onle 180 minutes.

I would give this 7/10, much thanks to Robert Duvall's performance.

Have you seen Brazil? Or City of Lost Children (french film)? Both are this controlled society idea. Watch it. Or even blade runner

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 14-10-2009, 22:10:10 »
Have you seen Brazil? Or City of Lost Children (french film)? Both are this controlled society idea. Watch it. Or even blade runner

Top movies!
I give Brazil and City of Lost Children (jep a French movie) both 7-9 out of 10.
Blade Runner has my personal 9/10, but I am a sucker for Phillip K. Dick ;)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #218 on: 15-10-2009, 13:10:57 »
And THX 1138 was the first stormtrooper who died in the first destruction of the death Star, THX became the prefix for all stormtrooper IDs too, who said Missa' Lucas Sir doesn't feed us the same crap over and over...

Ok, for my latest film what I have watched...

Big Trouble in Little China,  it's important to add that this is not the first time I've seen this movie, more like the 2000th time, so please whereever you are - whatever monitor you are at, whatever room you are in put your hands together and clap a few times, this is freaking awesome...

"Big trouble", "Big Turbs", "B T in the L C" however you pronounce it, you're in for one motherfhhhhhh.... of a ride as you saddle up alongside Jack Burton and Wang Chi as they attempt to rescue their ladies back from the evil and immortal David Lopan,

Quote from: Jack Burton
"are you crazy Dave is that your problem?"

This movie has everything that earth based science fiction should have, immortal god like villains, socially awkward reluctant heroes, kung-fu so shit you'll be in front of your TV within minutes copying it, special effects so 'ham' you could do better using MS Paint, but that doesn't matter, all the cracks and wires are neatly pasted over with some funny as shit one liners and comedy looks.

Jack Burton is an accessible hero, he's you and me, just wants to get his girl back, and his truck, the mighty Pork Chop Express, if you're not already streaming this movie because it has a truck in it called the Pork Chop Express, then maybe the final score will persuade you...

I give Big Turbs 10/10, faltless masterpiece untouched by time with a watertight script and character you can relate to.

Quote from: Old man Chi
"What the fuck is Gracey Law doing here?"

HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #219 on: 15-10-2009, 14:10:21 »
Haha, yeah. Big Trouble is one great movie.

Just look at the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yM3-YO7qHs

Some amazing quotes in this classic:

Jack Burton: Ol' Jack always says... what the hell?

Jack Burton: Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes

Pinstripe lawyer: What I'd like to do today is get your version of what happened.
Egg Shen: Oh, you mean the truth.
Pinstripe lawyer: Of course. First, just state your name and your occupation for the record.
Egg Shen: Oh, Egg Shen. Bus driver

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #220 on: 15-10-2009, 14:10:12 »
Big Trouble is one great movie.

Ahmen.

Offline KoOk13

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 15-10-2009, 15:10:52 »
another great movie i almost forgot to mention is the 2008 movie "Ip Man", based on the life of the teacher of bruce lee. Great martial arts movie, lots of nice wing chun kung fu fighting. highly commended.
Put this in your dyslectic if you're signature

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #222 on: 15-10-2009, 16:10:20 »
The harder they come
- Jamaican gangster flick about Ivan, a country boy who comes to the big city with dreams of becoming a singer but later turns into a famous gangster that mocks the police, military and deals drugs.

Pretty OK movie, typical 70's gangster movie

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #223 on: 15-10-2009, 18:10:09 »
Reservoir Dogs

Finally got to see it, must say that Tarantino is an excellent story writer, coming up with something like this, though I kindoff expected Orange to be the rat. Anyway, great movie and I felt sorry for White at the end.. 8/10.

De Storm

Quite a new movie about the water disaster in Zeeland in 1953. I went to watch this with my grandfather as he was dispatched in that area to save people and get dikes fixed again when he was in the army. It's a typical Dutch styled movie I must say, the effects where super awesome, big plus for that, quite solid acting too, good story with an ending that gives you alot of mixed feelings, Sombogaart did a great job. 7/10.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 18-10-2009, 05:10:57 »
Where the Wild Things Are

Don't expect anything too intense from this movie, but it was very charming. Its not really a kids movie so much as a movie for people who read the book and are now nostalgic. Great camera work, good characters, occasionally touching, and a decent story.

Some of the best acting by a little kid I've ever seen. He does a good job partly because he is trying to be a kid, not a miniature adult. Good story, where there are no villains but bad things still happen, which is rare in movies.

I'm not really sure how to rank this one. Maybe an 8/10. It depends what your speed is. Its not a movie where you should rush out and see it cause its awesome and will change your life, but its the sort of movie that everyone should see once in their lives. Might as well catch it in a theater.

8/10
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER