Poll

If I could choose I would pick...to be developed

Italian Front
61 (45.5%)
Pacific Front
73 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: 07-11-2009, 10:11:34

Author Topic: Curiosity  (Read 12498 times)

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity
« Reply #60 on: 02-11-2009, 20:11:42 »
Thinking of marketing potential, the Pacific miniseries will debut this spring (March 2010) in the U.S. and abroad.  But after reading that it would take 18 months worth of work to get to a release, I say go for Italian/Sicilian theater.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 02-11-2009, 20:11:42 »
Thinking of marketing potential, the Pacific miniseries will debut this spring (March 2010) in the U.S. and abroad.  But after reading that it would take 18 months worth of work to get to a release, I say go for Italian/Sicilian theater.
I'm a patient person, I believe I'd rather have Pacific and be willing to wait for it

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #62 on: 02-11-2009, 20:11:20 »
I'm mixing both:  I'd like a certain 'small' theatre thats also sort of part of the Pacific: The fights in Burma and China between KMT/Commonwealth and the Japanese.

I therefore picked Italian (also partly because the Italian front is cool and because the standard 'USMC island hop adventure' Pacific front is boring).

Offline Jürgen

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02-11-2009, 21:11:09 »
Well,we have seen some opinions,but there are much more votes than posts...
So,now,what do you think people has voted?
What is your view on FH community?

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #64 on: 02-11-2009, 21:11:07 »
I reckon Itailan has won :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02-11-2009, 21:11:11 »
I may be an exception, but I'm actually looking foward to Pacific - Not that I prefer Pacific, you understand... Sure those house-on-house arrangements and Italian towns will be lovely, and I do sure love the camo for tanks...

But Pacific is very doable I think - In FH1, those maps weren't that large for starters and they mostly involved an amphibious landing and the jungle... NOT naval combat...

Ships? Those could be large statics like BF2 vanilla - Savew for their abilty to be destructble like bridges

AA guns and cannons on the will be usable as artillery and anti-air defenses and can be modularly destroyed

Planes can take off from the decks unless its heavily damaged... Just as a tank in BF2v can ride across the bridge. Really don't see the issue here...

Thick jungles that weren't possible in FH1, high grass, better game design, the awesome flamethrower... Tunnels upon tunnels of underground, Iwo Jima, napalm... hell yer

Gosta say, the Pacific will be it for me.. so what if I'm on the losing side

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 02-11-2009, 22:11:23 »
I may be an exception, but I'm actually looking foward to Pacific - Not that I prefer Pacific, you understand... Sure those house-on-house arrangements and Italian towns will be lovely, and I do sure love the camo for tanks...

But Pacific is very doable I think - In FH1, those maps weren't that large for starters and they mostly involved an amphibious landing and the jungle... NOT naval combat...

Ships? Those could be large statics like BF2 vanilla - Savew for their abilty to be destructble like bridges

AA guns and cannons on the will be usable as artillery and anti-air defenses and can be modularly destroyed

Planes can take off from the decks unless its heavily damaged... Just as a tank in BF2v can ride across the bridge. Really don't see the issue here...

Thick jungles that weren't possible in FH1, high grass, better game design, the awesome flamethrower... Tunnels upon tunnels of underground, Iwo Jima, napalm... hell yer

Gosta say, the Pacific will be it for me.. so what if I'm on the losing side
Yes another who wants Pacific BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02-11-2009, 22:11:31 »
I'm a patient person, I believe I'd rather have Pacific and be willing to wait for it

The mod would die.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02-11-2009, 22:11:11 »

The mod would die.
I would doubt that if they released it in small increments

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 02-11-2009, 23:11:48 »

The mod would die.

Which is impossible to do fast. The first "small increment"would already take over a year, is my guess.

1) New playermodels (takes very long, look at FJ models who were already "needed" for Crete, and they still aren't there - maybe it is because it takes a lot of time?)
2) New statics
3) New vehicles (and a LOT of them)
4) New environment (growth will be a hige difference from what we have seen until now)

So I say: no, it will take a LONG time, even for a "small increment".

Offline Desertfox

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 03-11-2009, 00:11:36 »

The mod would die.

Which is impossible to do fast. The first "small increment"would already take over a year, is my guess.

1) New playermodels (takes very long, look at FJ models who were already "needed" for Crete, and they still aren't there - maybe it is because it takes a lot of time?)
2) New statics
4) New environment (growth will be a hige difference from what we have seen until now)

Patience is a part of waiting for a mod, so yes I still doubt the mod would die because a new release takes awhile.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 03-11-2009, 00:11:57 »
I had also voted pacific, SBD <3

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 03-11-2009, 08:11:48 »

The mod would die.

2) New statics

Isn't there a lot of vanilla stuff that can be used for pasific or is it of too low quality?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 03-11-2009, 08:11:22 »

Isn't there a lot of vanilla stuff that can be used for pasific or is it of too low quality?

we dont use vanilla stuff anymore. it is not about the quality, it is the design. We simply dont like the bf2 statics or vegitation. We have taken a step with the mod, we are far away from the "mod" mentality where you throw stuff in "for the heck of it".
If we do pacific, we do every item from scratch, and it will be alot lot harder than FH1 pacific which had lots of stuff done allready (even though FH 0.7 pacific maps had most stuff done themselves, including grass, palms, buildings, ships, vehicles etc). so reality is we need to basically make a new mod from scratch, FH3 you can call it. Some weapons might be used, and the US playermodel, even though Im sure the USMC in pacific didnt look as the normandy Ranger (Im sure you guys know this better than me) and perhaps some Sherman, but otherwise it is creating all from absolute scratch: playermodel, vehicles, weapons, ships, vegitation, statics (every single piece of static from house, bridge, bunkers to pots, crates, rocks etc etc.), sounds, animations, every texture needed, code and ofcourse; maps.
I think we better continue build on what we got. These are my personal opinions, other devs might look at it differently.
Last point: pacific with not moving ships would be rather boring.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 03-11-2009, 10:11:09 »
Last point: pacific with not moving ships would be rather boring.

Well, there could be smaller vessels like PT boats, subs, supply ships and even destroyers that are mobile... But the aircraft carrier might be way too big and laggy - And more importantly, it might be impossible - or too much of a headache - to have it mobile with aircrafts on it. Battleship too - Although, I'm sure someone might dissagree

Besides what I've already proposed, I once suggested having naval battles with miniatures - Basically, ships and planes are drastically reduced in size, models are shrunk and detail lowered so that the current map size will cater for a much larger battlefield and therefore there can be more ships, longer range battles and a shitload of planes without too much lag save for the sheer number of variables that will have to be handled...

As a stationary platform, the aircraft carrier isn't a total loss - In most Pacific maps of Fh1, ship warfare was a really minor part of the battle, and ships infact acted as airstrips and artillery platforms for the marines. All that need be added is destructi-bility for the ships

And as statics this could be done really nicely - First off, ships can be alot bigger, real sized actually - And their surfaces could have modular destruction like the bridge - The AA guns and cannons is already one aspect - each representes a different vehicle on the static ship which can be damaged or destroyed - Then the main flight deck could be destroyed at various points, rendering it partly usable or completely unuseable depending on which side gets hit - And it could have actual rooms in it - like a building... like Sidi's apartment, save for gun platforms and perhaps an elevator for bringing up more planes -

Planes could be like tanks in Pacific maps - As many as Gazala in some, as few as Seige of Tobruk in others.  With many stored below deck (Or spawning in waves, for SP-COOP).

Sure its alot of work, but it will be as major a campaign as Normandy or the Eastern front.

My only hesitation for that front is going to be, the fact that it really is a cul de Sac. We have the Americans, British and Austrailans, yes... we'll need the Japanese and maybe the Indians - and once that's done, that campaign is over, with little else to share with any future campaigns.

Italy has few to share too, but at least in could usher in some improvements to North African maps, add more maps to NA and perhaps include the Poles in Monte Cassino which would inadvertently push foward progress for early war and battle of Britain... I mean, we need a bit more focus on planes (I think its time)

Personally, I'd say, all campaigns following are cul-de-Sacs in themselves, and perhaps a multi-pronged apporach might be prefered at this point to a one-theater at a go aporach

As much as everyone loves to hate it, NA had more endurance and endearing than Normandy (or will) because it has some mediterranean maps that can push development in more than one direction as well as add freshness each time they are played. Such an approach is wise here on out -

Perhaps, focus on The bulge, while using some of the stuff in there for early Russian wars,

and then with some of that in, progress to later Eastern front battles while expanding the early war stuff into Blitzkrieg with Poles and Frenchies coming in

With the French, come the Torch operation and Kasserine Pass - Use this as a filler stage to simply expand on each already existing theater, while in the background working on the Pacific

By this time i.e Phase 4, we would have a functional Pacific, Bulge and late Western front, Russian front stretching from early to late war, blitzkrieg with Poles, french etc... And you'd be almost where you got to in 0.7... But you might need more men AND some strengent regulation to keep the quality... But you definitely need more men, lest you cut corners to avoid the sheer number of player models you obviously need to put in

well, that's my 'summery' of the situation.... But it stems from 'where Pacific, where Italy' -