Author Topic: Guide to using Joy2Key and FH2 (+Setting up Mouselook on your Keyboard)  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
Because all information about how to use Joy2Key with FH2 is strewn about many different hiding places deep in the forums I've decided to put it all in one comprehensive guide.

Using Joy2Key with FH2 enables you to use the Cooliehat Switch to look around you in the cockpit while flying and use radio communication without having to switch to keyboard/mouse while flying which might cost you precious time.

I'm using it with my Logitech Extreme3DPro and I've included my own setup

First you need to download the program.
Download Link (UPDATE: There are actually newer versions now which you can also use. They have more features, the above version already has all the features you need for FH2 as of now. However if you want to use Joy2key with other programs/games as well you can find the newest version here. Note that the newer version is shareware, which means you can download and use try for free, although the developers do appreciate if you do actually buy a license for 7 US$)

Remember to always open it with admin rights. Otherwise FH2 might not accept the Input even though it works on the desktop.

The trick is to run 2 Joy2Key at the same time with two different configurations loaded.
If it won't let you run two programs at once you need to edit the Joy2Key.ini file (appears in the same folder after you exited the programm it once) and set    AllowMultipleRunning=1

You can either do the config yourself using the following guide, or download my config files.
You'll have to put them into the same folder as the Joy2Key.exe and rename them back to the .cfg extension
However if you use my config files you might want to change some buttons depending on your own joystick/personal taste.

1. Setting up the Cooliehat for Mouselook

For FH2 you need two different configurations (e.g. FH2a, FH2b)
In both cases you have first of all enable POV Switches(Cooliehats) in the Others Tab.

In FH2a you now need to assign the cooliehat to the corresponding mouse movements. Do so by doubleclicking each POV1 direction, switching to the mouse tab and setting the cursor movement all the way in the same direction.

In FH2b configuration you want to set the entire POV1 to your ingame MouseLook key (Default= LeftCtrl).

You should end up with two different configurations that should look like this.

Now you should be able to look around while flying in FH2 (which can come in real handy during dogfights)
If the directions of the cooliehat are the wrong way around simply deselect "invert mouse" in the FH2 Aircraft Control Settings

But remember that due to BF2 engine limitations you cant look around and steer at the same time, so while you look the plane will continue in a straight line.

2. Setting up Radio Controls

a) Spotting
Spotting enemy forces during flight can also help immensly, e.g.  keep track of the opponent in a dogfight, or scout enemy tanks for your own armour support or bombers.

Decide which button you want to use to spot. (Ive chosen Button 4)
In FH2a set the button to your Commo Rose (default= Q)
in FH2b set the button to Left Mouse Click

b) Communicating with Cooliehat

This aims to enable you to hold one button down and then use your cooliehat to choose among the Commo Rose options and also the Squad Communication one

In FH2a select two buttons (I use 11 and 12 on the bottom) and set them for Commo Rose and Squad Comm (default= Q & T respectively)

In FH2b select the same buttons and under the "Special" tab choose "Use the setting of other Joystick number temporarily: Joystick 2) for both.

Now change to Joystick 2 and set POV1 to corresponding Mouse controls (see above, same as with Mouselook). In addition you need one button to select a radio message (e.g. Fire/AltFire button). Set this button to Mouse Left Click.

Here same engine limitations apply, so if you take a long time choosing what to say you just fly in a straight line end possibly end up in the ground....

If you've done everything correctly you can now look around the cockpit with the Cooliehat, spot enemy forces with (e.g.) Button 4, and radio message by holding down (e.g.) Button 11/12 for General/Squad Communication, choosing among the radio messages via Cooliehat, and then selectin the one you need with (e.g.) the Fire Button.
All without the hassle of having to switch to the mouse/keyboard and trying to fly at the same time.

Alternative for Keyboard Users

If you fly or tank using only the keyboard you may want to control Mouselook via your arrow keys.
To enable this for both default profiles and your current configuration you have to modify:
Battlefield 2 folder/mods/fh2/settings/controls.con
and
My Documents/Forgottenhp 2/Your Profile (e.g. 0001)/controls.con (look near the bottom of that file).

In both Cases:

Beneath the Line "ControlMap.addAxisToAxisMapping c_PIMouseLookY IDFMouse IDAxis_1 0 0"
add:

ControlMap.addKeysToAxisMapping c_PIMouseLookY IDFKeyboard IDKey_ArrowDown IDKey_ArrowUp 1
ControlMap.addKeysToAxisMapping c_PIMouseLookX IDFKeyboard IDKey_ArrowRight IDKey_ArrowLeft 1

Now you can use mouselook with your arrow keys. You can also substitute them for other keys should you prefer a different way.

Note that in APC and Jeeps with controllable roofs/window shields/back hatches the mouselook is now set to the same key as the opening/closing of those extra features. So if you look up and down while driving your roof/backhatch/windows might be going crazy at the same time, because you are not required to press Ctrl (Mouselook key) to look around while driving those vehicles. At the moment there is no fix for this (as far as i know). Related to that you can now also control your Aim as infantry with the arrowkeys.

If anyone else has suggestions on what else to include in the setup i'll gladly include that as well!
Cheers

Updated to include info on how to set up mouselook on keyboard and info on newer Joy2key versions
« Last Edit: 18-02-2012, 18:02:39 by Harmonikater »
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
Re: Guide to using Joy2Key and FH2
« Reply #1 on: 17-02-2012, 04:02:56 »
I spent a while just the other day setting all of this up.  It is worth the trouble.  I found version 5.0.2.  You can do even more stuff with it.  Here is the link to the main site.  http://www-en.jtksoft.net/home
Really an all time great freeware program.  I would pay for this.         

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 17-02-2012, 14:02:05 »
Good guide. Can you include setup for using the keyboard for mouselook in FH 2.4 ? There is a guide here but it looks old and I don't know if it works with 2.4.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if there is a solution/workaround for this?
Note that in APC and Jeeps with controllable roofs/window shields/back hatches the mouselook is now set to the same key as the opening/closing of those extra features. So if you look up and down while driving your roof/backhatch/windows might be going crazy at the same time, because you are not required to press Ctrl (Mouselook key) to look around while driving those vehicles.

Also could one of the mods please move this to tutuorial section? silly me to post it in here...   :-\
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-02-2012, 19:02:45 »
Good guide. Can you include setup for using the keyboard for mouselook in FH 2.4 ? There is a guide here but it looks old and I don't know if it works with 2.4.

This one was written for 2.4. The arrowkeys for freelook are highly recommended, nice for tanking as well.
Though yes that's all that's needed for hat functions to work, nice guide posted here for additional stuff.

To distribute alternative controls, you may upload your controls.con. Put them in the mods/fh2/settings/ directory, then "reset to default" in controls menu to activate.

Offline CossRooper

• View Profile
Awesome post, thanks for this!

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
Linking this thread from sticky at top, good job, nice

Offline pailhead

• View Profile
*edit*

I am a retard.