Author Topic: April 9th (1940, the invasion of Denmark )  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
April 9th (1940, the invasion of Denmark )
« on: 05-12-2015, 13:12:36 »
During the night of 9 April 1940, the Danish army is alerted that the Germans have crossed the border, Denmark is now at war with Europe's strongest army. In South Jutland a Danish bicycle infantry company and a motorcycle platoon is ordered to hold off the German advance until reinforcements can arrive. In the fateful morning hours we follow Second Lieutenant Sand (Pilou Asbæk) and his platoon of soldiers. They will be the first Danish soldiers to meet the enemy in battle.

I just discover the trailer:

https://youtu.be/sOpqfVlqmVo

Armement looks historically correct. did someone watch it ?

« Last Edit: 05-12-2015, 13:12:18 by Seth_Soldier »

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Re: April 9th (1940, the invasion of denmark )
« Reply #1 on: 05-12-2015, 13:12:46 »
Yup. saw it in the cinema when it came out earlier this year
Its an ok movie

Now all the movie hype in Denmark is about this which just came out this week :-)
Under sandet (Land of Mine) 2015 Danish Film Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANL-Qnf6Eh0
« Last Edit: 05-12-2015, 13:12:19 by Alubat »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: April 9th (1940, the invasion of Denmark )
« Reply #2 on: 05-12-2015, 16:12:23 »
Honestly I thought it was very well done.  Not only from an armament/uniform perspective, but even from a 'how combat occurs" perspective (IE, not everyone just waits around to die, retreat comes long before everyone is killed), and for leaving the audience to question the limits of resistance (Westerplatte also dealt with that).

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-12-2015, 22:12:20 »
I liked to look at the equipment. Further mixed feelings.
They made it to dramatic imo. You cant make a band of brother type movie out of the invasion of Denmark.
The actual war took 4 times the time of the movie.  I don't know but i wouldn't be surpised if in reality every Danish unit that came in contact was captured or fell back and didnt engage in combat again.
The units were probably sent out with the task to delay the enemy in order to mobilize or alert other units. They acted on these orders but were quickly overwhelmed, hardly movie material, i'm sorry to say.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-12-2015, 21:12:30 »
That page basically says what i posted. A couple of skirmishes fought be different units. Doesnt mention with what purpous though, if they werent acting to gain time for the main force to gather then it was purely ceremonial.
Either way they make it look that 1 unit took part in what was basically all the skirmishes combined.

Wikipedia, i like the part of the cassualties the best, testimony of the combat prowes of the Danes.
The Germans didnt want to reveale the number of casualties but they wanted this great 20mm cannon. So they forced them to sell it to them, because the Danes would otherwise never let the Germans get their hands on them of course. But before or after forcing them to sell, the Germans revealed that they did this because these magical guns had caused 203 casualties. But we are not supposed to tell, so keep it a secret.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-12-2015, 21:12:56 »
Far as I saw, that unit in the movie participated with 3 skirmishes.

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-12-2015, 01:12:42 »
So we wil call it half the skirmishes, they fought half the war, doesn't really change much.
Stil just skirmishes,the main body of the German division (formed december 1st 1939) probably never even reached them by the time the war was over. Only their recon units. Hardly a footnote in their books.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-12-2015, 05:12:52 »
Actually, the skirmishes roughly more or less follow the actual units that participated in these parts of the campaign:

Bredevad

In an encounter between Danish and German forces at Bredevad, 10 km north of the border, a German vanguard of four armoured cars approached the village. The Danes, just arrived and not even having time to build a roadblock, took cover in a garden and opened fire.[18] A machine gun and a 20 mm cannon manned by one and a half platoons fired warning shots. Ignored by the Germans, the Danes then opened fire, knocking out the lead armoured car and killing its driver. A short skirmish followed. The Danes knocked out three[19] more German armoured cars and suffered four casualties. The Germans managed to surround the Danes and force them into submission.[3]
Haderslev

As the Danish forces at Søgaard army camp were preparing to pull back north to Vejle where the main force of the Jutland Division was preparing for battle, a short skirmish developed at Aabenraa as a Danish rearguard attacked the pursuing German vehicles.[20] After damaging a German tank, the rearguard pulled back to Haderslev.

Haderslev had a garrison of 225 men of the Jutland Division, which defended both the barracks in the town and the road leading into it. In the initial fighting at the southern outskirts of Haderslev, a Danish 37 mm anti-tankgun with a crew of five attacked the approaching armour, which returned fire.[20] Two tanks were damaged, but two of the crew were killed and the rest wounded.[3] Just around the bend, another roadblock covered by two 20 mm cannon put up resistance. The Germans laid down heavy fire and a Danish soldier was killed, but the Germans were effectively pinned down.[21] The fighting continued for ten more minutes until the order to surrender was received from Copenhagen. The Germans were then allowed to proceed into the town of Haderslev, but the Danish garrison stationed there had not received the order to surrender and fired on the Germans. One German motorcyclist was killed and two tanks were damaged during the attack. Two Danish soldiers were killed while defending the barracks; three Danish civilians were killed in the crossfire.[3][22] However, the Danish garrison capitulated when the order to surrender from Copenhagen finally came through.[3]

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-12-2015, 01:12:50 »
Yes, i've read the wiki, and i realize what they did to make a movie. I'm not sure what you are trying to point out.
I just think its a far reach to take those skirmishes by different units, thats all they were, and try to make it into a war movie fought by one unit. There were so little skirmishes that they would have to end up in the movie.
If you noticed the whole wiki is written out of Danish perspective, because there probably isn't even a German one.
They reconnoitered, made contact and were done by midday. Not even a full days work.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-12-2015, 23:12:05 »
This one any good ?

BATTLE FOR SEVASTOPOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9mTLqW1O4

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-12-2015, 23:12:13 »
This one any good ?

Russian war flicks tend to be cheesy, with bad slow-mo and cgi, unnecessary love stories, and more than a little overly-nationalistic (which given the current state of Russia, isn't much of a suprise.)  Looks like that film ticks all the boxes.

IMO the best war films were made in Britain in the 60s and 70s - Zulu, the Battle of Britain, etc.  I don't think we'll ever get such good ones again.

Edit:  For the record I watched the battle scenes from this Danish film on Youtube.  They looked very realistic to me.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-12-2015, 18:12:47 »
This one any good ?

Russian war flicks tend to be cheesy, with bad slow-mo and cgi, unnecessary love stories, and more than a little overly-nationalistic (which given the current state of Russia, isn't much of a suprise.)  Looks like that film ticks all the boxes.

IMO the best war films were made in Britain in the 60s and 70s - Zulu, the Battle of Britain, etc.  I don't think we'll ever get such good ones again.

Edit:  For the record I watched the battle scenes from this Danish film on Youtube.  They looked very realistic to me.

Russian war movies are probably the worst war film schlock there is, right up there with Chinese war films.  Even the Battle of the Bulge movie is better than them- at least there aren't crazy CGI slow mo effects shit in it.

On topic- Redbadd, the problem there is that they wanted to create a dilemma movie based on the resistance of 1940, a 'was it actually worth it' movie, to make the audience question whether or not Denmark should have even bothered resisting the invasion.  To do that you need to show multiple skirmishes and deaths.  In the end, for the Germans, they did suffer far heavier than they thought they would.  Had the Danes gone on fighting, there is little doubt that the campaign would have been a more bloody affair as Danish reserves would finally have been able to mobilize.  IN the end, the movie is simply showing the resistance to the best they can within the confines of an hour and a half long film.  In that regard, they did wonderfully.
« Last Edit: 14-12-2015, 18:12:07 by VonMudra »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-12-2015, 08:12:20 »
 So.....not so much an invasion.....but.....

....Someone made a movie about the 6 hr Danish capitulation to the nazis.

:P

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-12-2015, 16:12:04 »
My problem with that is, that there almost was no resistance and they lost almost nothing. But they want to make it look like a whole lot supposidly for the reasons you mentioned. A couple of guys got shot and then when the gouvernment was out of bed they surrendered.

Maybe they should have mentioned the non-agression pact Denmark signed with Germany and the restriction emposed by politicians on the army because of it. They didn't prepare defensive positions, i've gathered and the army was basically in peace time mod, Even after september first, when most of Europe fully mobilized, Denmark dared not as they didn't want Germany to feel provoked. Given these facts it is clear that the Danish government had already put Denmark at the Germans mercy. Because once attacked a full mobilisation would not be possible anymore.

They made a nice series about the 1864 Danish German war, i'm just saying they should've left it at that, and have skipped making a fighting movie about their 1940 surrender.