Author Topic: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover  (Read 23330 times)

Offline SUTTO

• Prepare for Ramming Speed!
    • View Profile
Re: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
« Reply #60 on: 31-03-2011, 07:03:33 »
Just checked my steam then (Aussie) and apparently the release date has changed from the 1st April to the 31st march so now I'm downloading it. Awesome! Good to have a good surprise after a day at work. 

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #61 on: 31-03-2011, 18:03:19 »
EEEEEEEEE!!!!!  Its coming out tomorrowwwwwww ^.=.^!!!!!
I can see on Steam that you're playing it! Is it good?! Are all the bugs/problems real or just a scare? Is it worth buying?  ;D

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 31-03-2011, 19:03:18 »
Im in class right now, and ill type out a review wheni get back to my apt in an hour, plus screenshots.  However, i will leave you with this message:

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.  IT IS COMPLETLY BROKEN.  I MEAN COMPLETLY UNPLAYABLE KIND OF BROKEN.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:14 »
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.  IT IS COMPLETLY BROKEN.  I MEAN COMPLETLY UNPLAYABLE KIND OF BROKEN.

But they will fix it, right? Some day...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:58 »
after 3 hours of playing it:
FUCKING GREAT GAME. Hell! It´s extreme realistic! Just what il2 fans wanted. Not mainstream. If you do anything wrong with your prop-pitch our your mixture you can fuck up your engine in seconds! The damage model is great also! You can see EVERY single bullet hole. The flying physics didnt change form the old il2. They were top-notch anyway! Just one bad thing: Performance. After experimenting with the graphic settings, its getting better, but its still unplayable. Will be fixed within weeks if you look at previous oleg maddox games, but it´s still a shame.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:18 »

Good.  Fucking.  God.  This is MEDIUM SETTINGS.

I have no idea what you're playing Bang0o....

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:07 »

looks like your game doesnt load any textures? reinstall it? what gaphic card you got?
this is how medium settings look for me:

btw my pc specs:
(i can run on medium mostyl smooth with microlags)
intel core 2quad 2,8ghz
4gb ddr2
ati hd4890
win7 64bit
« Last Edit: 31-03-2011, 20:03:40 by Bang0o »

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:35 »
Well il2 came out in 01 and is still being patched so this one will probably be fixed soon.. hold out on buying it till then tho.  :P

Good.  Fucking.  God.  This is MEDIUM SETTINGS.

Reminds me of CFS1..
« Last Edit: 31-03-2011, 20:03:54 by Tuco »
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:44 »

looks like your game doesnt load any textures? reinstall it? what gaphic card you got?
this is how medium settings look for me:

btw my pc specs:
(i can run on medium mostyl smooth with microlags)
intel core 2quad 2,8ghz
4gb ddr2
ati hd4890
win7 64bit

I don't know!  I have a computer that can run Shogun 2 on all extreme high settings perfectly fine.  From what I'm hearing this might be related to SLI, and the devs said to 'turn sli off" but there is no option to turn it off!  I can BARELY get my joystick to function, and even then its buggy as all hell, I can't fire anything with my joystick, only fly, and I can't use the mouse to look anywhere, it just pops up an annoying as all hell mouse cursor that just clicks on shit. The hat button only lets me look around the immediete front, I cannot turn my head more than 15 degrees in any direction apparently.  Half the other controls do nothing, none of the turret controls seem to work, etc etc etc.  The graphics load in EXTREMELY slowly, starting as everything being a blob, then moving to pre-IL-2 era graphics.  Meanwhile, the preformance is incredibly choppy.

And yes, I DO have the epilectic thing turned off, that is NOT what's causing this.

My glorious He111:

Also, menu music is intermetent, mostly it doesn't work until I click over to other menus, then return to the main menu, THEN it'll work
« Last Edit: 31-03-2011, 20:03:10 by VonMudra »

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #69 on: 31-03-2011, 20:03:23 »
Ouch.

I'm glad I ordered Portal 2 instead of this now! Still, I'll buy it once it's been patched and made more universally playable.

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #70 on: 31-03-2011, 23:03:33 »
My HD3870 will cry...

After 6 years of development, I really hope this will be worth the money. I have heard such mixed reviews. Some praise, some hate...and I am getting the feeling the game seems to be genuinely broken :(

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #71 on: 01-04-2011, 00:04:55 »
hmm
Then I'll hold off with buying it until I get my new GFX card..
I think the rest of my Computer ought to run it like silk on satin.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01-04-2011, 00:04:27 »
Are you sure? 12 gigs of RAM is quite on the low side.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 01-04-2011, 00:04:00 »
OK  I have good and bad news.  Good news is, wooden block planes are gone.  I uninstalled and deleted the files, then redownloaded from Steam (since I activated through the gamersgate download, its still activated on my steam account, wewt!).  The redownload seems to have fixed the major graphical errors, and it now runs ok on medium.  However there are still major graphical problems, such as things in one area looking great, and then a few millimeters to the right, some piece of window frame looks like its from Half Life 1.  Loading seems faster, and the lag is LESS, but it is still enough to make it unplayable.  It took multiple passes while flying a Me110 to knock down 6 wellington bombers, while on invulnerable and not trying at all to evade, just to fly through and knock them down.  normally, this should take two or so passes, however I found it impossible to draw a bead.  As I closed in and commenced firing, the lag would spike, and I'd find all my tracers flying into empty air.

Sound is still utter crap, and the controls are still not working right.  Things don't open the way they should, the mouse still just shows up as a cursor, and I can't get the turret guns to work with the mouse.  They either seem to work with arrow keys on the keyboard that require either fervent tapping for slow movement, or holding it down for a slight jump, followed by finding yourself pointing the opposite direction in an instant; OR with the joystick, which is next to impossible to aim with, and which still seems to require you to use the mouse to fire, meaning you have to use your other hand to do the joystick, making it even MORE difficult.

Other controls just don't seem to function.  The "O" key is mapped to open the canopy.  And it does.  But then it doesn't close the canopy.  What I found was that "crtl C" was to "open the turret".  Ok, so I press that.  It snaps me back to the pilots chair....  I press it again, it snaps me back to the gunners seat, and closes the canopy.  I press O whilst flying the me110.  it opens the pilots canopy.  This time, I do the crtl C.  It snaps to the rear gunner.  I press it again, it snaps to the pilot, BUT only closes the side canopy.  The top part that fold up and over the back of the plane is still wide open, and no key stroke I could find could close it.

All in all, I give it a 2 out of 5 currently.  This game is in need of MAJOR overhaul.  In its current state, it is unplayable, unless you wanna be jumping all over the screen, have constant graphical glitches, and find out that half your key binds don't do anything, and the other half don't work at all.

Oh, and remember the nice map in IL-2, the one that was made to look like a good pilots map, that automatically opened to where your plane was, and that zoomed with just a few click?  Yeah, now its a windows 95 window that doesn't snap to your plane, doesn't move with your plane, and zooming is through tedious mouse wheel scrolling.

Edit:  Just ran through the first training flight, just a basic fly in a square kinda thing.  Laggy like mad, but it IS possible to fly, just no maneuvers.  however, at the end, the co-pilot trainer guy says "Ok, I'll take over and land."  He proceeded to dive quickly, come into a field, crash land, and end up looking like this.

It would have been worse, were it not for me having every realism setting except clouds switched off....

Oh, and yes, that is what the ground looks like....
« Last Edit: 01-04-2011, 00:04:29 by VonMudra »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 01-04-2011, 18:04:23 »
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20055

Ok, so it looks like the devs are working feverishly to get things fixed.  Hopefully soon enough we'll see a major jump in FPS, at least to where it becomes somewhat playable.  I am def thinking of making an account on their forums though and making a post about the controls/mouse, I don't think that's been brought to the attention of the devs....