Author Topic: Space Engine  (Read 647 times)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Space Engine
« on: 13-05-2016, 01:05:09 »
Behold, the ultimate Space videogame.

While it's, technically, not a videogame because there is no real gameplay in it, it is by far the greatest Universe Sim out there.

And that's what it is, a Universe Simulator. You can travel to any Asteroid, any Dwarf Planet, any Moon, any rocky Planet, any Gas Giant, any Brown Dwarf, any White Dwarf, any Neutron Star, any Black Hole, any Supergiant Star... any Galaxy and explore the mentioned celestial bodies any times you want.

It's f-huge. Any transition between any object found in the Universe is done without any loading screen or whatever, it all exists in the same "world". The game contains catalog stars and galaxies, along with other objects such as Globular Clusters. To fill in, Randomly Generated Stars/Galaxies are also generated.

The game is currently being developed by a single guy un Russia and it's free!, the guy has huge plans for the future, such as Galaxy movement and collisions, unique models for each Galaxy, unique procedural model for each nebula, Supernovas and more!

http://en.spaceengine.org/

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-11-1

Check it out, right now.

Some screens from my own private collection:

Spoiler
Jupiter:

Saturn:

Andromeda, along with the dwarf Galaxies M32 and M110, seen with enhanced Zoom from Earth:

Cluster of Stars:

Neptune:

Pluto:

Alien World:

Collection of Catalog Galaxies:

Look at these stars, every single one of them is visitable:

Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky. That small blue dot is it's White Dwarf companion, Sirius B.

Strange-looking Galaxy, pretty much like M64, the "Black Eye Galaxy".

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Space Engine
« Reply #1 on: 13-05-2016, 10:05:37 »
Yup, if I ever get the Oculus, this is the first "game" I'm playing with it. (and showing to my parents, just to let them realize how insignificant humanity is in the grand scheme of things :D)

Don't even want to try it now as to not spoil the "awesome" factor.

Also that guy is must be a god of programming and math... I can't even imagine the equations you need to understand to create something like this.
« Last Edit: 13-05-2016, 10:05:43 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...