Author Topic: Invasion of Crete 64  (Read 52268 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Re: Invasion of Crete 64
« Reply #45 on: 08-04-2009, 11:04:21 »
Perhaps when Hill 107 and the Aerodrome are both captured , the 2 flags would be locked.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11-04-2009, 00:04:16 »
From the old forums: Please make it so that the Ju is not sliding backwards once one guy enters it. It makes waiting for passengers lethal. A small ramp at the back of the airstrip could already prevent this.

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #47 on: 12-04-2009, 23:04:26 »
Great map, my only little tidbit is the 'safe drop zones' on the map are actually some of the worst places you could land, save for the far eastern one heh :P
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27-04-2009, 21:04:38 »
Great map, my only little tidbit is the 'safe drop zones' on the map are actually some of the worst places you could land, save for the far eastern one heh :P

maybe put those safe areas as out of bounds for brits, or put so many trees up that they can't see, or something like that.

Offline DarkPepe

• View Profile
    • LagZero.NET -  Gamming Community and News (ES)
« Reply #49 on: 28-04-2009, 22:04:03 »
Hey guys!

After reading your comments about the map Im very happy on how the ppl took it :)

indeed there are lots of stuff that must be tweaked, speacily in the "looks" department. I'll like to add more objects to the map, creating more locations but we have to fight with the perfect combination between ammount of objects, viewdistance and gameplay.

If I add more objects and mantain the same viewdistance, the map could use more memory and become a very laggy map for low spec systems, so If we reduce the viewdistance, the planes wont be as effective as they supose to be agains AA (stukas) and that will make the map even more hard for the germans.

In the mean time I will try to find a solution to balance the looks with the way the map plays atm, imo it has a great gameplay and it requires lots of teamwork to win the map.. for both sides.

Keep posting suggestions so we can make this map a bit better!.

azreal

« Reply #50 on: 29-04-2009, 00:04:48 »
If I add more objects and mantain the same viewdistance, the map could use more memory and become a very laggy map for low spec systems, so If we reduce the viewdistance, the planes wont be as effective as they supose to be agains AA (stukas) and that will make the map even more hard for the germans.

Yes but it will be equally hard for the AA gunners to hit the Ju52s. And whats the view distance/fog level at now?

Offline hslan.Faust

• View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #51 on: 29-04-2009, 00:04:47 »
@DarkPepe:

your map is excellent in terms of looks. the single problem is the balancing. there are way too many powerfull bofors compared to the resources given to the axis. two stukas and a single 109 can hardly breach THAT air-defense properly to secure a landing area, even on an organized level.

and maybe the greatest problem of the map: when axis finally get a base, they cant utilize the nearby bofors as a defense against the masses of allied soldiers and tanks that throw themself against that spawnpoint.

i asked the question before, and seeing the mapmaker finally respond, i will ask it again: why are those bofors locked for axis on this map? the reason given by some forumers (to reduce infantry-rape) is not satisfying.

Was kümmern den Wolf die Flöhe!

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #52 on: 29-04-2009, 00:04:54 »
If I could personally change one thing about crete, it would be to place all the bofors inside those high sided circular wall bunker things* to prevent ground rape.

*What the supercharge 88s are emplaced in.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29-04-2009, 02:04:36 »
Hey guys!

After reading your comments about the map Im very happy on how the ppl took it :)

indeed there are lots of stuff that must be tweaked, speacily in the "looks" department. I'll like to add more objects to the map, creating more locations but we have to fight with the perfect combination between ammount of objects, viewdistance and gameplay.

In the mean time I will try to find a solution to balance the looks with the way the map plays atm, imo it has a great gameplay and it requires lots of teamwork to win the map.. for both sides.

Keep posting suggestions so we can make this map a bit better!.

I think you can reduce view distance a bit becouse the way it is now it gives AA more of advantage than to stukas or messer as they are seen almost from every part of map. On ground battle basis view distance isn't needed since there is no widely open area and hill make for a natural view blocker.

Anyway, when people bomb AA position they do it with a help of a map and memory (cocpit view is only used in last seconds of dive - at least in my case). Also you can't tell if bofor is destroyed or not when your far away (smoke does not render) but AA gunner can tell if you're flying quite easily.

IMHO adding view distance of Mersa Matruh would be a good choice.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29-04-2009, 02:04:45 »
i will ask it again: why are those bofors locked for axis on this map? the reason given by some forumers (to reduce infantry-rape) is not satisfying.

I am sorry if it doesn't satisfy you but that's the real bare truth, the british use the AA against planes (reasonable) and against infantry (undesirable side effect), germans would use them only against infantry and this would lead fast and furious to a stupid, messy and annoying gameplay. The best situation is if our mappers place them in a way that doesn't allow ground raping but believe me, it's not that easy to get this and keep their efectivity against planes at the same time.

I think the siege of tobruk bofors were unlocked in 2.0, the gameplay when germans take first line was a terror movie, and I doubt nobody will disagree.

So no way, sorry.

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 29-04-2009, 22:04:15 »
Acctualy, the concept of this map is fine, but it lacks in certain details.

One part of the problem is that it is infact not realy worth it to destroy AA enplacements, since engy's can just grab their wrench and repair it.

Therefor, I would sugest removing the engy kit from the spawnmenu for the allies, and place some pickup engy kits at logical locations troughout the map (airfield, town, tankflag and backflag seem quite logical.

This would mean that it is more rewarding to take out AA since it will take longer to repair it (they must first go and pickup the kit and then back, or their is the chance they can't repair it if some jackass took the kit from that flag.

Just a taught

Offline hslan.Faust

• View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #56 on: 29-04-2009, 23:04:45 »
@lobo:

you cant compare a pushmap (siege of tobruk), with enemy bases in direct shooting line and a very limited angle of possible enemy attacks, with a map like crete, where the bases can be taken in no particular order, with no possiblity to "boforsrape" another spawnpoint due to leveldesign.

so besides using the bofors for the obvious (aa-duty), allies have the chance to include those very effective weapons in their ground defense/attack plans, while axis dont have that advantage, even when they manage to capture the base. add the allied tanks to that situation, and you get what we have now, an allied superiority resulting in an average 6-7 vs 1 win count for a battle, which has historically been won by the axis.

seriously, unlock that bofors, and the map will be balanced! that step will in no way reduce the level of allied airdefense, it will only even the chances of the groundtroops battling each other.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 29-04-2009, 23:04:09 »
believe me, boforsrape will happen always unless they are sunk into a well.

No, we will never balance this map unlocking bofors and allowing this cheap gameplay, we don't want groundtroops battling each other with bofors, ever, it's enough pain that british can still use it for this.

Crete is the kind of map very tricky for balance, because it's designed around a key factor not under our control: how well and fast the german pilots place their people on ground. If they do it well and axis gets a nice beach head the round is enjoyable and they can win with no doubt, if the pilots fail there is no way to win for them...or for us to fix it.

Offline hslan.Faust

• View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #58 on: 30-04-2009, 00:04:46 »
honestly, is it fair to give the possibilty of "cheap gameplay" only to one side?

you dont want groundtroops battling each other with bofors, with a sidestatement that its bad that the allies can (and fully) use that possibilty?

there is no bofors that can shoot another base on crete. they only can be used to controll the base they are located in. no more, no less. whats the problem? a more equal win/loss ratio?

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30-04-2009, 00:04:01 »
 I think a couple fewer Bofors would even things up pretty well.
 When I play 64 size, I generally find very few issues apart from the parachutes not deploying fast enough, the para deploy timing could be made more favourable for the germans in my opinion which may help more paratroops hit the ground without going splat or eating 40 mm flak shells.

My favourite crete version is 32 player but I think that map would rule as a push map instead of its current conquest style.

@ Faust,
 Would you be content if the AA disappeared at a flag position once it was captured by the German side?
My Quebec includes Canada