Author Topic: Which map do you want the most?  (Read 11371 times)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Re: Which map do you want the most?
« Reply #30 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:44 »
What? Carentan in the desert? Huge city? It's not huge. It's small. Not even worth the name city.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:21 »
Ok Flippy.  Hypothetical situation here: You can have 2 maps featuring Finland.  Any of the 3 wars, all equipment available in the battles will be made.  What 2 battles would you pick, making sure there is some variety, and why?

Of course a battle of Äyräpää-Vuosalmi which would provide the players with
1) Infantry battles
2) Aerial Combat to keep em whiney flyboys off your back bitching for more flight maps ;)
3) Tank Combat
4) Variation to terrain with;
  a) Thick forests with hills and cliffs ideal for infantry combat in tight and rough terrain
  b) Open fields with farms which are of course best suited for the tank combat
  c) Key locations from historical events such as the Äyräpää railway station and a ruined church near Vuoksi beach
  d) Slight dose of naval combat as the map would be divided by a river. Landing across Vuoksi would be amazing.
5) Artillery was a big part of this battle, so it would give those spotter-boys and artillery-heroes like myself something to do

Why I picked this instead of *gasp* Tali-Ihantala, which you all know I love so dearly? Because I think Tali-Ihantala would be either hard to do, or it would not provide enough variation to the gameplay. With Äyräpää-Vuosalmi, you could keep everyone happy, even feature some naval warfare on top of that (OK there were only sturmboots and russian made pontoon ferries... but at least you would actually have the water as an important element to the map. This map would also remind people from 0.7 Karelia as it would have the river crossing and landing possibilities, but it would be much more bigger. Not to mention the importance of this battle, not only was it the second biggest battle during the Continuation War, but it was also the last battle to be fought on Karelian Isthmus.

--

My second map would be something you wouldnt guess that easily. I admit the first one is just an easy one to pick out as most of you know how dearly I love the battle of Äyräpää-Vuosalmi. But this one would be from totally different war. It would be Summa from Winter War. Located on the Mannerheim line, Summa would provide the players with a totally different setting: A map from a war not seen in a Forgotten Hope game. Not only would this map be different in both weaponry, layout, looks and feel but it would of course play totally different. One of the biggest and toughest battles of Winter War were fought in Summa, and I think that would make it a suitable candinate.

Summa would bring the players:
1) The chance to see Winter War first time in Forgotten Hope (Minor plus side, but still a plus side)
2) It would be totally different to the previous idea in many ways
3) Weaponry would of course be different as its 1940
4) Infantry warfare is always appreciated among the public
5) Planes for both sides
6) Infantry & Anti-tank vs tank combat opposed to many tank vs tank maps we have

While this map would lack the naval warfare of Vuosalmi, it would still be a very interesting map as it has very cool locations that were fought over. Of course the main theme would be mainly the same, gameplay wise the map would play similar if not the same as the previous idea (but dont they all?) with finns defending against the red army attacks and then making counterattacks to regain lost grounds.

Anything specific you were looking for in my answer, Uranium?  :)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #32 on: 08-04-2009, 17:04:10 »
Anything specific you were looking for in my answer, Uranium?  :)
No, it all seems to be there (and more).  A good answer.  I wasn't quite expecting such a text wall though!

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08-04-2009, 18:04:23 »
I know nothing of the winter war, having maps portraying battles with the Finns vs. Russians will make me learn about a part of WW2 I don't usually see on the History channel.  ;)

You have my vote on those maps Flippy.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08-04-2009, 18:04:55 »
No problem flippy i dont take your post offensive. When you said there were many battles in tali-ihantala its ture but werent there many battles in el alamein aswell. So what i ment was to create one map from "the great battle" like el almein.

With the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive i ment the great offensive of red army to Karelia in 1944.

Even though IS-2 was rare in wasnt STG-44 with ZF-4 aswell and the stug vs IS-2 was just a phrase ;D.

Are you finnish btw cause i doubt anyone thats not finnish could know that much about finnish fronts ;).

Edit: Seems you are
« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 18:04:50 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08-04-2009, 18:04:48 »
I am finnish, yes.

Ah yes, the "Grand Summer Assault" as I like to call it. Now I understood you. :)

And I do get your point with the El Alamein example. Here it is thought, if you were to make a map "Tali-Ihantala" and have it in feasible size so it is neither squeezed down nor its not too big, it would still be huge and of course too tightly packed to really work out nicely. I originally wanted to make the Tali- and Ihantala portions of this campaign into a map, but I had the problem with engine limitations and the lust for perfection I have. So I decided to cut the map in two, first map would be about battles from Tali-Talinmylly-Portinhoikka, generally the armoured battle around lake Leitimo, then the later would be Portinhoikka-Ihantala-Pyöräkangas based map. But in the end the plans were scrapped as I lost the heightmap I had been working on when my computer crapped out. Anyways, point being that I tried to include too many known battles and points of interest into this one big "great battle" which just cant work with the limitations we face with BF2 engine.

Back in 0.7 I had this heightmap for Tali-Ihantala map which had all locations, even the pretty unknown battlefields from that campaign. The map was _huge_. It was just insane. And Im not afraid to brag that it was and most likely still is the most accurate rendition of the whole area in any video game, ever. Yet again, to my loss... I lost that heightmap with the computer crash. Hopefully Natty still has the map somewhere... :)

Anyhoo, point being that a map named "Tali-Ihantala" which would be what it is named after, is just not possible unless they are squeezed down insanely. Instead, I see it would (hell, it IS) be very possible to see maps like "Portinhoikka" or "Battle of Tali" or any other well known battle from the campaign of Tali-Ihantala as those scales are very possible to create and hopefully we will see Battle for Ihantala sometime with the historically accurate features specified for this certain battle.

Offline Thamu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09-04-2009, 16:04:58 »
What? Carentan in the desert? Huge city? It's not huge. It's small. Not even worth the name city.

No Dude! lol   ;D

I say something like a mix of Berlin(FH1) with Operation Market Garden (FH1).Inside the city,a intense Close Combat (like in Berlin) and outside the city,think something like you are arriving the city,first contact with enemy.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09-04-2009, 16:04:16 »
I've been there, I've seen it and I know the tale  :P But seriously in that post someone claimed it was in a desert.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Thamu

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09-04-2009, 17:04:46 »
 :D

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09-04-2009, 17:04:07 »
i would love to have some remakes of the old bf42/fh 0.7 maps....but i dont think this is ever gonna happen  :-[

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09-04-2009, 18:04:37 »
Crete-1941 looks similar to the 0.7 one.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09-04-2009, 20:04:23 »

Actually, it's a flat out copy.  It even said so on the news update where the map was revealed.

Offline bolovoneichkamp

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09-04-2009, 20:04:07 »
Arnhem......Caen...........Bastoigne

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09-04-2009, 21:04:47 »

Actually, it's a flat out copy.  It even said so on the news update where the map was revealed.

no.. only ~1% is from FH1 (the heightmap)... rest is all new... and even the heightmap is edited so.. no, its not FH1 crete, even though the terrain is based on the same file.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09-04-2009, 21:04:19 »
But it's meant to be the same map, no?  It's supposed to play the same (or at least similar), isn't it?

It just seems like the same map to me.  But it may be nostalgia, I don't know.

I do know that I love both versions (0.7 and FH2) and look forward to when they show up in the map rotations.