Author Topic: Seeing spotted units on the map  (Read 633 times)

Offline Folkhoer

• View Profile
Seeing spotted units on the map
« on: 13-06-2009, 04:06:03 »
Sometimes when somebody spots a target (tank, unit, plane, ...) you can see its movement on the map.

I still havent figured out when you can see it on the map and when you dont. Can anybody explain it to me?

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing spotted units on the map
« Reply #1 on: 13-06-2009, 04:06:03 »
When the spotter uses binoculars, the icon appears and stays a bit.  Also, anyone in a vehicle or stationary defense (AT Gun/emplaced MG/Mortar/etc) will also put the icon on the map.  If the person who spots is a Squad Leader or the Commander, you see the "Enemy ____ Spotted" text and hear them no matter where you are.  If the person who spotted is just a normal soldier, you might be able to hear them if they happen to be within earshot, otherwise, you won't hear them.

Note that if a normal soldier with binoculars spots something, you usually won't hear them, but the icon should appear on the map.  Likewise, if an SL or Commander spots something without binoculars, you will hear them and see the text, but no icon will appear on the map.

Finally, I believe there is a finite distance that the icon will appear on the map for people.  For example, if you are in the German Main on El Alamein and someone spots tanks leaving the British Main, you might not see it.  I think the max distance people will see the icon is about 2 grids away on the largest maps.  I'm not entirely sure about this, but from my observations (and reactions from other players) in game, it seems to be correct.

Offline NL|Abaddon|NL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-06-2009, 17:06:34 »
If you spot a target with your binoculars (Officer, tanker or Scout kit), inside a vehicle or while using a static AT/AA-gun you (and your teammates) can see the target moving on the minimap.  

If you spot a target without binoculars you will only see a static target or question mark on the minimap.

This feature was added to FH2 to get rid of the huge amounts of text spam and most of all to get rid of a very lame tactic used by may players in Bf2. In BF2 vanilla anyone can spot targets. If you spot a target you will see him moving on the minimap, even if he disappears, let say, behind the corner of a building.

So many players were/are pushing the 'spotted' button continuously just to keep track where their enemies are hiding or moving to. It's like using a build-in wall-hack.  That's why the devs limited the ability to spot targets.   
« Last Edit: 13-06-2009, 19:06:16 by NL|Abaddon|NL »

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-06-2009, 02:06:20 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCGSpVhI9sM  
from 2:25 onwards it is very well explained
Live Long & Die Happy