Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180422 times)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #60 on: 13-04-2009, 18:04:36 »
The Boat that Rocked

A very feel good film.  It has some good gags in it, as well as a few boring bits.  Very good for music though.  I'd recomend seeing this at the cinema, I doubt it will be as good on the small screen.  3.5/5

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #61 on: 14-04-2009, 22:04:17 »
Saw "Blood Diamond" yesterday and I must say that it´s really good. Very touching, covers the topic very well and the actores are good.
9/10
I really like that movie, I was prepared for total BS but I think DiCaprio and the gang did a great job

"Send in the DAKDAK!"

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #62 on: 15-04-2009, 12:04:43 »
1968 Tunnel Rats (Sunday night) - A film about US Marines who have to engage and clear N.Vietnamese tunnel networks.  It tried to do everything other war films have done, nothing original, I always think war films are much better without any mainstream actors to douche your focus.  Lame ending, some poignant moments, but nothing really awe enspiring - I guess the budget was low.  6/10

Death Race (Monday night) - A good concept, if a little hazy round the edges, unfortunatley it was executed with fanatical shitness.  Macho-testosterone-fulled action though from start to finish, if you like action car chases this film will keep your eyes open.  On the whole though they should have just re-made the Running man. 5/10

Star Wars the Clone wars (CGi movie) (Last night) - I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and tbh this wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be, it's not giving up as much of the epic SW universe storyline as it could do, I suppose thats because it's aimed at kids, but it's got the exact Star Wars escape your life for a few hours of enjoyment that some of the action movies have. No Empire Strikes back though 7/10
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #63 on: 16-04-2009, 11:04:17 »
The Patriot - Awful film, jeebus, I watched this expecting it to be crap and it did not disappoint me.  The film depicts the story of the American uprising against the British in the latter half of the 18th century, remember at the time American colonials would more often than not find their roots in some British family, so it was effectivly some estranged civil war.

Well, you'd think you'd have the makings of a complex political pressure cooker that explodes into a fury of barrel to barrel musket mayhem.
What you get is the typical story of a family man who is reluctant to fight in “war” –despite being already a heroic “war” veteran. 
Well, enter the dubious looking English nemesis who slaughters the reluctant heroes family and burns down his house.
Cue some very expensive looks coaching and crocodile tears and he’s ready to saddle up and chase the bad guys once again.
Try mixing some humour into “war” and I keep quoting “war” because in the films dialogue the word “war” is emphasised with heavy accent and mood lighting regardless of who utters it.  As I said mix in some rather pathetic humour, some ridiculous acting and the infuriating idea that ‘good guys’ can take multiple wounds and keep fighting/respawning, whereas any enemy is potentially floored by the sight of our hero flailing his arms a hundred yards away.

Mel Gibson is a cock, Heath Ledger is not a great actor, he’s dead, that’s what made him a legend not his acting skills which to be frank are bullshit in the Patriot.
This film was the biggest waste of time I have spent since I reluctantly watched Alexander, the worst film ever made.  It’s worth mentioning that I actually switched the Patriot off half an hour before the ending as I couldn’t watch another ‘good guy’ die in slow motion.

***k all/10

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 16-04-2009, 12:04:06 »
Defiance: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/)
Based on a true story, set in WWII. Some nice action and overall great story and movie. Daniel Craig as bad  ass jew in nazi occupied eastern Europe.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #65 on: 16-04-2009, 13:04:58 »
Based on a true story, set in WWII. Some nice action and overall great story and movie. Daniel Craig as bad  ass jew in nazi occupied eastern Europe.

Plus the soundtrack is very FH2!

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #66 on: 18-04-2009, 03:04:01 »
Million Dollar Baby
- I was so, so friggin' close to cry

8 out of 10

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 19-04-2009, 17:04:36 »
Crank 2

Brutal, perverted, sick and absolutely hilarious! :D
8.5/10
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #68 on: 21-04-2009, 23:04:02 »
Crank 2

Brutal, perverted, sick and absolutely hilarious! :D
8.5/10

Oh please.....Crank 3 was ten times the movie.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1904529
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #69 on: 24-04-2009, 18:04:27 »
Australia
- Grand Hollywood Epic!

I'm a sucker for big movies like this when they are good, only bad thing is the length of the movie. Feels like it has several endings in one movie. Return of the King syndrome. But still, a good movie!

8 out of 10

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 24-04-2009, 18:04:35 »
Anybody seen Max Manus yet?

Yes, the best norwegian movie ever made, though that tells more about norwegian movies in general.
In true norwegian spirit, the acting isnt too good. The story is true, except a few details in the action scenes that has to be exaggerated. As a norwegian i think its extremely intresting, but for others i would assume its nothing more than a standard resistance-movie.

7/10  

Regarding the posts about Nicholas Cage i totally agree that he ruin any movie. Particulary war movies. Like Windtalkers. Maybe its a 4 , but with Cage its maybe only 2. The only movie he fits is Raising Arizona, where hes supposed to be stupid. Aswell as maybe this movie where he try to drink himself to death, dont remember the name atm.

2 south korean good movies:

-Brotherhood of war:   a good war movie from the korean war. Its not very realistic, but filled with very good special effects and alot of action all the time, almost too much. Alot of drama, though it works out perfectly well without getting boring. If anything gets boring its all the fistfighting all the time. I like realistic movies, but this one is still extremely entertaining and the 2,5 hours pass by fast.   7/10

-R point:    a very good thriller in a war setting. A south korean squad is sent on a mission to find out what happened to a group of missing soldiers, in the vietnam war. They soon loose radio communication and a nightmare starts. its a psychological thriller, maybe the best ive seen. In a way its the same mood as The Bunker (british movie from the 90's). R point is very scary, without any monsters or tormented bodies. I really recommend this movie    10/10

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 24-04-2009, 18:04:26 »
Equilibrium (8/10)

Very good sci-fi movie that I haven't seen in years. It had something 'special' in it (probably the story setting). Mixing it with some good and fancy action scenes gives you well spent time.

Whose Life Is It Anyway? (10/10)

This is one of the best movies I've seen ever. Everything is perfect: story, acting, match of actors, just perfect. You just have to see that movie. It gave me a good impression how they showed arguments for killing the main character. I still remember that night I watched it on TCM. (note: this review is very subjective)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 25-04-2009, 21:04:54 »
Run Lola Run

Classic movie, I already watched it in 2000 or 2001, then again yesterday with some friends.
It is one of the most suspenseful movies I have ever seen, it just never stops. The director clearly uses every visual trick he knows, and that guy knows a lot of them. The movie is only 81 minutes long, but it uses every minute to full effect. It also has some philosophical perspectives but is all in all light on the story telling part, as it concentrates on the action and suspense. While entertaining, it is not a movie you can watch twice, since the novelty wears of quite fast IMO. I read up on it on the internet today and was surprised that it apparently has some kind of international cult following.

8\10

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 26-04-2009, 05:04:29 »
Gallipoli- Possibly the best film I've seen. Mel Gibson was good in it (I did not expect that) and the ending left me absolutely speechless. I spent the next two hours contemplating.  Ten out of ten. Also, I'm reading A history of the First World War, and so I was very interested to actually see some of what I'd been reading.

Edit: Weird, but I just realized that I watched Gallipoli on Anzac Day itself, celebrated each year on the landings on Anzac Cove!
« Last Edit: 26-04-2009, 12:04:39 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 26-04-2009, 05:04:57 »
I found Defiance to be OUTSTANDING! Daniel Craig was simply brilliant, the story was moving and felt fresh despite the tirelessly used WWII setting, and the sound track was utterly fantastic. It was written as a violin concert I believe for Joshua Bell... I'm buying it as soon as it arrives on CD.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA