Author Topic: The FH2.4 Default SinglePlayer & CoOp  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
The FH2.4 Default SinglePlayer & CoOp
« on: 16-07-2011, 15:07:24 »
This is quite an improvement compared to FH2.3. Hats off to Remick04 and team for the AI despite having to keep up with the main MP team to release the 2.4 in time. Other than the greatly improved gameplay, the singleplayer experience is golden on its own.

Bots can cross the bridge, though with some difficulties. At default difficulty settings, they have lousy aim, but okay. Tanker bots are now deadlier. And more...

So far, I found:

1. Player entering Hanomag (Sdkfz. i don't know which) in Eppeldorf cause the game to crash.
2. Meuse River will eventually CTD by itself for unknown reason (still investigating).

This is what happened in my rig, a 32-bit Windows XP SP3-running machine. There are no lag issues or whatsoever.

Have you guys found any in default FH2.4 SP?

Offline bitje

• View Profile
Re: The FH2.4 Default SinglePlayer & CoOp
« Reply #1 on: 16-07-2011, 18:07:51 »
In Meuse River I find that the tank turrets are too well oiled.
They swagger from left to right and back.
It is very difficult to aim at a target.
The same goes for St Lo.

Too bad, that the other new maps are not for Singleplayer.
But perhaps they will be *adjusted* shortly.
I hope anyway.

I am 73 and don't mind being shot at, but hate being killed by the first available bullet.
Because I only play SinglePlayer, I use a trainer.
In Version 2.3 this worked fine.
However in Version 2.4 he cannot find Game in memory, when I start from the FH2 icon on the desktop.
When I start FH2 by using Battlefield 2 Mod Laucher, it works.
Strange.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16-07-2011, 19:07:57 »
I will take this opportunity to make excuses for the current state of singleplayer. :P

There are three main reasons that I only got 2 out of the 5 maps navmeshed. One, In the months between 2.3 and 2.4 I started an new full time job as well as an internship; I was involved as a representative at a national event; I wrote, put together and directed a short film; My younger sister got married; and I'm sure I'm missing a few things because the past 8 months have been a blur.

Secondly, several of the maps were still being worked on up until the last second. Vossenack almost didn't make it into 2.4 because the church model, among other things was still being worked on. And it is hard adding singleplayer to a map when it’s still in development, because things change and I'll have to redo all my work. Generally I'm stuck waiting until I hear from the mapper that they are done with terrain and static placement on a map before I attempt a navmesh. Which in a couple cases didn't happen until we had gone into release candidate mode and all new content was locked from being added.

Lastly, due to the size and complexity of some of the maps the work required to get them bug free and ready was greater. I did manage to generate a navmesh for Bastogne pre-release candidate (which took 50+ hours just to generate) But do to the complex terrain and thickly wooded areas, it was loaded with bugs that caused it to crash instantaneously upon start up. So, I've been working tirelessly but didn't get it done in time.

That being said, I'm glad you’re able to enjoy the 2 maps I did get done. I didn't want there to be a release with no new maps, and there are some minor improvements to ai, but mostly under the hood kindda stuff. We actually have some big things planned for Singleplayer in the future, only the foundation of which is in 2.4. It's unfortunate I couldn't get more done but we wanted to get a release out to the public sooner rather than later. So, I hope you guys can at least enjoy the new game play mechanics and what improvements to singleplayer are there, and hopefully that future won't be too far off. ;D ;)

Offline btree05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-07-2011, 23:07:43 »
I'm confused...is Eppeldorf supposed to be in SinglePlayer?  I'm not seeing it...all I have is Meuse River as SP from this go round for singleplayer...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-07-2011, 01:07:09 »
I'm confused...is Eppeldorf supposed to be in SinglePlayer?  I'm not seeing it...all I have is Meuse River as SP from this go round for singleplayer...

Its in COOP - Eppeldorf and Meuse are both in COOP - I dont think Eppeldorf has SP....

Can't wait to see Bastogne though... Although, I'm more keen on seeing Hurtgen tbh

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-07-2011, 10:07:09 »

Its in COOP - Eppeldorf and Meuse are both in COOP - I dont think Eppeldorf has SP....

Can't wait to see Bastogne though... Although, I'm more keen on seeing Hurtgen tbh

I think, Hurtgen Forst with bots will get a pain, because the bots will see you through the whole forest. Made this experiences with some forest maps for fh 0.7 and Norvegian Resistance. The bots were dumb as hell but the sniped you over the whole map. I think in Fh2 it will be the same.

As for the new Maps: Eppeldorf seems to ctd in general, when you enter a german vehicle. I just tried to play a round, but after I entered the JagDPanther, the game crashed after few seconds. I also read a comment from a guy, who made the same experience on this map (I think, this problem occurs for every german vehicle)

Until now, I didn't play Meuse River, but I will test it later. I think to create a proper singleplayer experience for Bastogne will be very difficult. It is the one map of v.2.4, I played most. This map is by far the most complex map, I've ever seen in a Battlefield mod. I played it some hours now, but I am not able to draw a map in mind. There are so many different spots in this map.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-07-2011, 10:07:06 »
In Meuse River I find that the tank turrets are too well oiled.
They swagger from left to right and back.
It is very difficult to aim at a target.
The same goes for St Lo.

Too bad, that the other new maps are not for Singleplayer.
But perhaps they will be *adjusted* shortly.
I hope anyway.

I am 73 and don't mind being shot at, but hate being killed by the first available bullet.
Because I only play SinglePlayer, I use a trainer.
In Version 2.3 this worked fine.
However in Version 2.4 he cannot find Game in memory, when I start from the FH2 icon on the desktop.
When I start FH2 by using Battlefield 2 Mod Laucher, it works.
Strange.
For the turret problems go in Options - Commands - Tank, then set the mouse sensivity to 0.10, it will be more easy to turn the turret without the "oiled" effect.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-07-2011, 11:07:28 »

No, for some strange reason, Eppeldorf's server.zip has no sp3 folder in it... ???

And no Goodwood-16 either... :P

Offline bitje

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-07-2011, 15:07:24 »
Tnx LHeureux.
Regarding the turrets, that helped.

This is a really good and helpfull forum.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-07-2011, 19:07:40 »
Eppledorf isn't in the singleplayer menu because it was decided late in development for 2.4 that we are going to redesign singleplayer. No longer are we just going to copy and paste the gameplay files from Multiplayer and instead we are going to start designing gameplay experiences unique to singleplayer with a single player in mind. Coop mode will stay the same for those who want to play the multiplayer setup with bots, but we have an opportunity to design different experience with Singleplayer that are more focused and fun to play as a single player. Meuse River had already received its AI support before this decision was made but Eppledorf hadn't, so when adding it Coop got the usual copy and paste from multiplayer gameplayobjects, but there was no time for me to design the new SP gameplay. Thus it doesn't have any for the time being. I understand the confusion, I should have better defined it in the news post thread. All it said was that Meuse and Eppledorf have 'AI support' it didn't explain which AI gamemodes you can find them.

Bastogne is a beast. It has taken weeks to clean up because it keeps crashing my editing programs due to memory issues. It's almost designed to be played with more than 64 players. Even at 64, the combat is so spread out you spend a lot of time running around looking for someone to shoot. But it is still probably my favorite map in the new patch.

The only german vehicle I know of that is causing a crash in SP/coop is the sdkfz251_d_win, which the issue has already been resolved. None of the tanks should be causing a crash, but I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: 18-07-2011, 19:07:54 by Remick04 »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-07-2011, 21:07:06 »
Cool to hear about these sp plans. Anyway, all I can say is that I have played several rounds of coop Eppeldorf and Meuse on a local server and I can't recall a single crash.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-07-2011, 22:07:10 »
Eppledorf isn't in the singleplayer menu because it was decided late in development for 2.4 that we are going to redesign singleplayer. No longer are we just going to copy and paste the gameplay files from Multiplayer and instead we are going to start designing gameplay experiences unique to singleplayer with a single player in mind. Coop mode will stay the same for those who want to play the multiplayer setup with bots, but we have an opportunity to design different experience with Singleplayer that are more focused and fun to play as a single player. Meuse River had already received its AI support before this decision was made but Eppledorf hadn't, so when adding it Coop got the usual copy and paste from multiplayer gameplayobjects, but there was no time for me to design the new SP gameplay. Thus it doesn't have any for the time being. I understand the confusion, I should have better defined it in the news post thread. All it said was that Meuse and Eppledorf have 'AI support' it didn't explain which AI gamemodes you can find them.

Bastogne is a beast. It has taken weeks to clean up because it keeps crashing my editing programs due to memory issues. It's almost designed to be played with more than 64 players. Even at 64, the combat is so spread out you spend a lot of time running around looking for someone to shoot. But it is still probably my favorite map in the new patch.

The only german vehicle I know of that is causing a crash in SP/coop is the sdkfz251_d_win, which the issue has already been resolved. None of the tanks should be causing a crash, but I'll look into it.

Great! I did mention in the Feedback to the Devs thread that we need static guns to spawn their replacement counterparts when destroyed... Also, I strongly suggest Hyacinth 64 having destructible objectives like Hyacinth 32 for CQ. They DO need to code the vehicles to be spawn-entered by bots to make them targets the enemy will be interested in though. But it will certainly be super fun to have. This is an excellent decision, Remick.

Please PM me on what we spoke of some time back. I am a bit anxious since I haven't heard from all parties involved.

Please post general issues noted in Singleplayer/ COOP here

A few underlines though...

1. Totalize STILL crashes, as does Olympus, and around the same time they used to; as does Purple Heart Lane
2. El Alamein spawns part of the German main flag atop the ridge opposite to kidney, noted instantly by the uncap flag there, and a LeFH howitzer spawned in midair some ways off.
3. Do Germans use the Gabellte ladung at all? Or still no...

« Last Edit: 18-07-2011, 22:07:19 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-07-2011, 11:07:38 »
Did all the map fixes (and the Lafette fix) in the DL sticky make it into the release?

Offline Asator86

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-07-2011, 12:07:21 »
Did all the map fixes (and the Lafette fix) in the DL sticky make it into the release?

Played PHL yesterday and had a crash, so I had to "install" the lafette-fix. Played another 2 rounds without CTD since then.
I think the sticky DLs didnt make it into the release. The crash occurs (at least on my PC) when the Americans reach the 3rd flag near the bridge.

I have to say that the overall singleplayer-perfomance has improved. Stable FPS-rate and only few CTDs (on Totalize and Cobra).
« Last Edit: 19-07-2011, 13:07:54 by Asator86 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-07-2011, 14:07:14 »

Played PHL yesterday and had a crash, so I had to "install" the lafette-fix. Played another 2 rounds without CTD since then.
I think the sticky DLs didnt make it into the release. The crash occurs (at least on my PC) when the Americans reach the 3rd flag near the bridge.

I have to say that the overall singleplayer-performance has improved. Stable FPS-rate and only few CTDs (on Totalize and Cobra).

Well, the Lafette Fix WOULDN'T make it into the release, and why should it? Devilman never explained to anyone, Remick04 included what the hell the fix actually did, us being too amateurish to comprehend it. What I did notice was that bots hardly used the Mg34 or 42 after that, so there is one thing that happens. Until  that code can be reverse engineered to understand what it does and implemented internally into the lafette code without needing a FIX archive added to the game files, it will always be just that - A fix.

As for the other concerns, like Remick already said, rl work meant he didn't have the time to do as much as he would have liked. Hopefully, once the FH Fan project gets underway, and hoping Void is still with us, we should be able to bring FH2 to a new level of glory, with enough new fixes that Remick can use for the next build.
« Last Edit: 19-07-2011, 15:07:09 by djinn »