Author Topic: "Fire in the hole!"  (Read 977 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
"Fire in the hole!"
« on: 22-03-2016, 14:03:09 »
I was watching some old 2.2 era clips on YT and I totally forgot there was a nade warning when one would pull the pin. I understand why it was removed HOWEVER, it struck me that there is currently no way to communicate to your teammates there is a grenade in your vicinity. It can be easily fixed by adding a comrose command using the phased out automatic sfx. I can't tell you how many times I found myself in a situation where I threw a bad nade or one from the enemy landed at my feet with a bunch of guys around me with no way to warn them. Shouting RETREAT won't cut it as it's too generic a line. Please?

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: "Fire in the hole!"
« Reply #1 on: 22-03-2016, 15:03:20 »
I'm not against it, but even when on voice comms with my friends, the warning usually isn't fast enough. Doubt it would be very usefull to have voice over for it.

Offline Not So Civil Engy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-03-2016, 15:03:26 »
I believe that when you are holding a grenade, you can press your "shout" button and make you guy yell "Grenade!"

I think it is annoying when my guy starts yelling things on his own.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-03-2016, 16:03:43 »
Yes, when you hold explosives (satchels, grenades), your middle Q-spot button is replaced with either GRENADE! or "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" shout which you can use whenever holding these types of weapons.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-03-2016, 16:03:40 »
^ He's talking about reacting to other people's grenades.

I think the whole commo rose needs some new sounds. Maybe someone with audio mixing skills could make
some new lines?

Like, "Watch out, grenade!" or something that can be made from existing sounds...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-03-2016, 16:03:51 »
Yes, when you hold explosives (satchels, grenades), your middle Q-spot button is replaced with either GRENADE! or "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" shout which you can use whenever holding these types of weapons.

Well, that works only if you have grenades/explosives.. If you're, say, a machinegunner you're SOL (or if you ran out).

Offline Not So Civil Engy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-03-2016, 17:03:09 »

I think the whole commo rose needs some new sounds. Maybe someone with audio mixing skills could make
some new lines?

Like, "Watch out, grenade!" or something that can be made from existing sounds...

I usually just shout "Incoming!", but honestly, there isn't a lot you can do before it goes off.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-03-2016, 18:03:48 »

some new lines?

I was working on this for fun one day and it is possible to create few new commands out of the existing ones (also improve some of them by making them shorter or swapping some of the commands in the Q-rose). With some skill it is possible to edit the English (and American) ones, but I scrapped this idea because of the lack of consistency as it wasn't possible to recreate those new ones I made, even in my native polish (based on FH1 voice commands), and that led me to thinking that it might be a problem also with other grammatically complex languages like Russian and Finnish or even German, unfortunately.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-03-2016, 20:03:12 »

No need, a simple "Grenade!" is the most efficient thing to say (hear) as it's quick and to the point. With longer lines the usability becomes quite moot.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22-03-2016, 21:03:07 »
I have to admit, in the fairly fast paced game, this is nearly useless. I play regularily fht campaigns, even with people you can talk to, it very very rarely happens, that you can react AND get in cover, before it explodes - in particular, when you havent seen it yourself.