Author Topic: American Youth Camps  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
American Youth Camps
« on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:25 »
Before I begin, please, don't make this into one of the famous political debates that many of us took part in, in the past! I just wanted peoples input, and some more information on this.  :)

I found this somewhat startling.

House Passes Mandatory National Service Bill The House passed a bill yesterday which includes disturbing language indicating young people will be forced to undertake mandatory national service programs as fears about President Barack Obama’s promised “civilian national security force” intensify.

The Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act, known as the GIVE Act, was passed yesterday by a 321-105 margin and now goes to the Senate.

Under section 6104 of the bill, entitled “Duties,” in subsection B6, the legislation states that a commission will be set up to investigate, “Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.”

Section 120 of the bill also discusses the “Youth Engagement Zone Program” and states that “service learning” will be “a mandatory part of the curriculum in all of the secondary schools served by the local educational agency”.

“The legislation, slated to cost $6 billion over five years, would create 175,000 “new service opportunities” under AmeriCorps, bringing the number of participants in the national volunteer program to 250,000. It would also create additional “corps” to expand the reach of volunteerism into new sectors, including a Clean Energy Corps, Education Corps, Healthy Futures Corps and Veterans Service Corps, and it expands the National Civilian Community Corps to focus on additional areas like disaster relief and energy conservation,” reports Fox News.

The Senate is also considering a similar piece of legislation known as the “Serve America Act”, which also includes language about “Youth Engagement Zones”.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is the age requirement they want for this? Cause honestly, as soon as I read this, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I thought "hitler". When I read some of the information I found, it sounded to me like it was for young high schoolers +.

I know some European countries require high school grads to join for a certain amount of time. But to me this sounds different. What could they possibly teach a 15 year old kid? I'm very confused right now about this, hopefully some of you have further information  :).

Again, please don't argue!

Cheers,
Apple

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Youth Camps
« Reply #1 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:25 »
That is just scary....

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:54 »
Wow... how do you expect people not to argue with such a hot topic. ^^
Anyways I am weary of any 'youth' organization that has some kind of militaristic / strict hierarchical system.
I mean I even mistrust the local Boy scouts.

On a more serious term today another "youth organization" called "Heimattreue Deutsche Jugend" short HDJ was finally closed down and charges for unconstitutional behavior have been brought forth on the people in charge. Finally. I hate those mind washing Nazi scums.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:56 »
Well I have mandatory service learning here at school, not quite sure what the big deal, if it's mandatory armed service that's different, but if oyu notice it passed by a huge margin, 321-105, a lot of people agree with it, it's can't be that bad.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:52 »
A lot of people agree on a lot of things, that doesn't always make them right.

The idea of MANDATORY youth groups is wrong.  I see no problem with voluntary because, well, its voluntary.  But mandatory government run youth groups stinks of totalitarianistic undertones.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:12 »
Do you know why it passed? Because the people didn't even know about it.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #6 on: 31-03-2009, 22:03:08 »
  Now do I have to buy my son his own goon squad outfit?  Or will this brown shirt organization provide one for me?
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31-03-2009, 22:03:16 »
It sounds like it is for community service, not the military.  I am for getting more people involved in their communities, but not in the form of mandatory service.  I am 20 years old and I have done shit to aid my community.  I hope to change that in the future.

However, I would be in favor of a plan that provides regulated incentives for community service; things like giving the adult a tax break, or providing a student or young adult with money towards college depts.

EDIT - Oh, and please site the source from which that article was taken.  It sounded pretty biased in its word choice from my point of view.

« Last Edit: 31-03-2009, 22:03:24 by Wilhelm »

azreal

« Reply #8 on: 31-03-2009, 22:03:50 »
Hmmm secondary schools ehh? Pfft I'll be outta High School by the time this goes anywhere knowing our government.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01-04-2009, 00:04:11 »

EDIT - Oh, and please site the source from which that article was taken.  It sounded pretty biased in its word choice from my point of view.

It was from a random chat board. But, my mom read about it so from reading what she got, its all true. The only problem is it leaves out some additional facts.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #10 on: 01-04-2009, 00:04:47 »
How could they make such a thing mandatory in a democracy? What are they going to do if i just refuse? Call the cops ::). It would never work here, maybe things are different in the states but i doubt it.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-04-2009, 00:04:24 »
Heil!

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01-04-2009, 01:04:47 »
How could they make such a thing mandatory in a democracy? What are they going to do if i just refuse? Call the cops ::). It would never work here, maybe things are different in the states but i doubt it.

Wait, where do you live?

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #13 on: 01-04-2009, 01:04:47 »
Canada

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01-04-2009, 01:04:18 »
Oh, ok  :).

Anyway,

Right now its not mandatory. But I think we all know it will be. Its just, not right :-\.