Author Topic: Interesting Propaganda Videos and Pics (Any era, but not banned)  (Read 30844 times)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
OK, so while we must all comply with euro nanny state enforced thought control.

Thats just asking for it, Mega. Europe has had enough of Nazi's, this is Germany's way to deal with it, maybe not perfect but it does it's job. Nothing to do with Euro as swatsika's are legal in for example the Netherlands. On certai places they are, websites mostly want them removed.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
OK, so while we must all comply with euro nanny state enforced thought control.

Thats just asking for it, Mega. Europe has had enough of Nazi's, this is Germany's way to deal with it, maybe not perfect but it does it's job. Nothing to do with Euro as swatsika's are legal in for example the Netherlands. On certai places they are, websites mostly want them removed.

In this day and age, a government must have a very low regard for its people if it can't trust the majority of them to not suddenly become Nazis just because they saw some historical posters on the internet.

It's not the 1950s anymore, there's no need to fear a Nazi resurgence in Germany.

And one final point: censorship is just counterproductive. Think about it. What happened when you were a kid and someone told you "don't read that book" or "don't look at those pictures." What did you immediately want to do? Look at whatever it was to see what all the fuss was about. After all, there must be something interesting there if people are telling you not to look at it. So I think this sort of censorship just serves to make some people more interested in neo-nazism, holocaust denial, etc. People who otherwise wouldn't be interested.

And to not completely derail this thread, here's another poster, from Iraq in 2003:

Text reads:

The patriotism of one Iraqi man won him 30 million US dollars.

These two men are no longer a threat to you or your families, thanks to the loyalty of one man to his country. That man provided us with information about the location of Oday and Qusay Saddam Hussein.

Your patriotism may win you 25 million US dollars. With information that will lead us to Saddam Hussein el-Tikriti, you will protect the future of your country and you will be awarded up to 25 million US dollars.

Phone your local police or the Coalition forces at: [contact info]

Also here's a famous one from the 1991 Gulf War:

This one is a safe-conduct pass. According to the back of the leaflet, presenting this pass when surrendering would guarantee the bearer humane treatment. Of course, they would get humane treatment with or without the pass, but that's the brilliance of it - it subtly encouraged surrender in a way much more persuasive than "just give up now you're gonna die." Also note how the leaflet depicts Saudi soldiers instead of Americans. Apparently these leaflets were so effective that Iraqi officers and secret police were raiding their men's quarters searching for the leaflets because the men were hoarding them while waiting for the ground war to start.

And one final leaflet, from Grenada 1983 (meant for Cuban troops in Grenada):

Translation: "This...or This."

Back reads: "Your defeat is inevitable. You are facing thousands of troops from six different countries. Cease resistance and return to Cuba with honor where your family await you."

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
I don't say I approve it or think it's effective but thats how Germany deals with it, the reason why I reacted was 'Euro nanny state'. It's just Germany and probably a few others, most allow it.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Look, guys.. this could be a very great thread comparable to picture of the day... But I need you to remove all the ones with swatstikas on it, no matter how small, allied or axis, doesn't matter... As long as that thing is on it, Lightning or Flippy will torpedo this thread and we wont be able to resurrect it or recreate it....

so please, screw the 'aaaw, censorship' whine and do the right thing. Its Germany after all. It will be ironic and daft if you are posting WW2 propaganda and don't get why they have an issue with that symbol today

I see a good numbeer of swatsikas on page 1...

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
"Ausgenommen hiervon sind Handlungen der staatsbürgerlichen Aufklärung, der Abwehr verfassungswidriger Bestrebungen, der Kunst oder der Wissenschaft, der Forschung oder der Lehre, der Berichterstattung über Vorgänge des Zeitgeschehens oder der Geschichte oder ähnlicher Zwecke (Abs. 3 i. V. m. § 86 Abs. 3 StGB)."

Roughly translated this means that it´s alright to use forbidden symbols like Swastikas, SS-runes etc. in an educative, historical  or illsutrative context. If this paragraph wouldn´t exist historical movies and photos would be forbidden here, which they clearly aren´t. Propaganda posters are clearly a case of historical context as long as the person who posts them doesn´t use them as propaganda.
Sorry for OT ;)
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

This poster dates to early in the war. A farmer smashes the blockade. The Allied blockade of Germany during World War I had seriously hurt the war effort. The poster claims that Germany’s food supply is secure in the new war. The text: “Farmer! You are a soldier in the battle of production.” Courtesy of Dr. Robert D. Brooks.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
ok cool, thin line that. *In a French accent* Lightning? Iz thiz... favorable?

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
I won't rip this site off by stealing images, and I must warn you there is pro-German/Nazi symbolism in some of the posters, but then the site is a collection of all WW2 propoganda posters not a political statement.  You'll find a lot of 50's pulp posters on there too.

Art is not Dead
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Chariot

• Rememberer of the unremembered
    • View Profile
Some WWI

Some WWII

« Last Edit: Today at 18:07:17 by Chariot »
Also known as HMS Campbeltown

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
We should have like a little contest out of all of these here for a favourite propaganda poster.  Maybe just the ones already up here so we're not swamped, but some people each could nominate one of these as their favourite, then everybody votes?
Edit: Here's another.

Offline Chariot

• View Profile

My favorite
I did post this one but out of all the Anti-Axis propaganda this is my all time favorite becuase it shows what would happen if the japanese invaded the USA.
« Last Edit: 20-07-2010, 21:07:00 by Chariot »

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
Found this interesting WW2 video by accident. Its a Canadian Propaganda video by Walt Disney demonstrating the 'killing power' of the Boys Antitank Rifle. I wonder th target group it was designed for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4lOcD7O5c

Feel free to comment and please post more interesting propaganda Pictures and Videos... I find these rather quaint
OT but notice how Disney have reused the animatins from their movie Ferdinand the Bull when Hitler starts to cry (at 2:34).
Didn't someone post a link to a clip where they showed how much Disney have reused over the years in the found-on-the-Internet-thread?

OnT:
This is a classic Swedish propaganda poster:

The text means A Swedish Tiger but it can also mean that a Swede doesn't speak so the enemy gets information.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Well, as I understand it, it takes time to develop unique characters so in the instance they are tight on budget, they need to reuse. More often with secondary characters eg. Animals, crocodiles especially

But, in the case of Robin Hood, due to a highly limited budget. Little John was a dressed version of Balu from Junglebook, and the King was from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, the live-action/animation with Angela ?Lansbry

I can imagine a propaganda video would be socondary to them - Still, its interesting to see the quality of Walt Disney animation especially the way the characters, here Hitler, moved. I kind of wince that Walt Disney and Hitler ever had anything to do with one another though... even if it was propaganda directed against the latter... But then again, even impartial BBC was used for that as well

Offline Chariot

• View Profile
Today's piece of art

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile