3 (17.6%)
Not really
1 (5.9%)
1-3 times
3 (17.6%)
Never
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Volkstrumgwher 45 "The rivet gun"  (Read 3303 times)

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
Volkstrumgwher 45 "The rivet gun"
« on: 26-01-2017, 21:01:40 »
Hi! My name is FH2Max3 and today I will discuss the VG-45, that is available in game as a panzerfaust kit.

But first some historical content:
The Volkssturmgewehr ("People's Assault Rifle") is the name of several rifle designs developed by Nazi Germany during the last months of World War II. They share the common characteristic of being greatly simplified as an attempt to cope with severe lack of resources and industrial capacity in Germany during the final period of the war.

The weapon's name is an ambiguous portmanteau: in German Gewehr means "rifle", whereas Sturmgewehr means "assault rifle". The term "Volkssturmgewehr" can therefore be translated either as "People's Assault Rifle" or "Volkssturm Rifle".

The Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr was designed by Karl Barnitzke of the Gustloff-Werke for the Primitiv-Waffen-Programm ("primitive weapons program") in 1944 and was intended to be used by the Volkssturm. Production of the Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr occurred from January 1945 till the end of the war; roughly 10,000 were made.

This gun was initially called MP 507. The MP 508 was fairly similar except it had a semi-pistol grip stock.

The weapon employed the same 7.92×33mm Kurz intermediate cartridge as the earlier StG 44 assault rifle and also used the same detachable 30-round box magazine.

The Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr uses a gas-delayed blowback action based on the Barnitzke system, whereby gas bled from the barrel near the chamber creates resistance to the rearward impulse of the operating parts, which ceases when the projectile leaves the muzzle, allowing the operating parts to be forced rearward by the residual pressure of the cartridge case. This principle has been used most successfully in the Heckler & Koch P7 pistol.

The Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr is constructed rather like many semi-automatic pistols, it has a casing and spring around the barrel; the whole casing recoils backward. The breech block, with firing pin and extractor, is pinned to the back end of the barrel casing. The rear end of the gun does not recoil and has the hammer, sear and trigger built into it. Gas coming from four vents, near the end of the barrel, holds the bolt closed till the gas pressure drops to a safe level. Some selective fire Gustloff Volkssturmgewehrs were made.

The Grossfuss Sturmgewehr used the same principle of gas-delayed blowback operation, but it was somewhat more efficient in the use of gas; its bolt weighed 0.8-0.9 kg compared to 1.4 kg in the Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr.

The Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr was assembled out of 39 metallic parts, not counting rivets and screws. Of these specific parts, 12 required milling, 21 could be produced by stamping alone, and 6 were springs.

Testing of a captured Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr at a Soviet GAU shooting range showed that it was rather inaccurate, with 50% of the shots at 100 m landing in a circle with 10.2 cm radius and with 100% of the shots at the same distance landing in a circle with a 19.8 cm radius. At 300 m these the corresponding radii were respectively 25 and 50.3 cm. The fixed sights of the Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr made aiming difficult because the Kurz patrone rose some 29 cm above the sightline at 100 m and dropped 43 cm below it at 300 m

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkssturmgewehr

Ok, lets move on to the usage ingame. For those of you looking at a simple answer on what is it, I can give you it: It is a STG-44 jammed on semi-auto mode. But in more detail, the weapon has some crude sights, and a strange noise that resembles a rivet gun. This weapon requires special usage, as at long-range you will likely miss, and at close range, you will likely be out-gunned by smgs. The tactics resemble the ones used by the M1 Carbine. Although the recoil is higher, the bullet is more powerful. Also, don't forget your Panzerfaust 100, which has the longest range of all the single-shot anti tank launchers. This weapon currently is only available as a pickup kit on Seelow heights. However, the VG-45 is very rare among German anti-tank soldiers, who prefer the K-98 over the Volksturm weapons.

2cool2fool did a new amazing reload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNFEIxbBkpk
Thats it for today and see you later!

-FH2Max3
« Last Edit: 26-01-2017, 21:01:51 by Seth_Soldier »
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
[Removed]
« Reply #1 on: 10-10-2017, 17:10:03 »
[Removed]
« Last Edit: 05-06-2022, 05:06:50 by VolkssturmGewehr »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Volkstrumgwher 45 "The rivet gun"
« Reply #2 on: 10-10-2017, 20:10:35 »
Nice story on how you found FH2 ;)

Pro tip: if you pick up a (rare) pickup kit it is kind of frowned upon if you jump into a vehicle afterwards. Why? Because in that vehicle you aren't gonna use the pickup kit anyway, especially if it's the Tiger II. So my suggestion would be: play the kit or play the vehicle.

Enjoy FH2 and see you on the battlefield! 

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-10-2017, 20:10:02 »
^ yes, lots of players like to play with the rare pickup kits, and lots of players like to jump in vehicles. So best to leave one for another player if you're not going to use it :)

that's part of the thrill of pickup kits for me; knowing that if I die I can't spawn with it again. Makes you play more cautiously and see how many kills you can rack up before you lose it 8)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-10-2017, 20:10:08 »
He is playing singleplayer only, so noone cares what kit he uses how.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
[Removed]
« Reply #5 on: 01-11-2017, 22:11:49 »
[Removed]
« Last Edit: 05-06-2022, 05:06:07 by VolkssturmGewehr »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-11-2017, 23:11:38 »
I guess I didn't know 762 has a rule making it so players can place claims on tanks.
There is no such rule afaik.

Some players claim tanks, but they actually don't have any rights to do so. Of course it is nice and courteous if you let someone else drive a tank if you drove it before, especially if he is waiting on it's spawpoint before you. He can't claim however, because that would mean that nobody else in that round can drive that tank anymore and that is ridiculous.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-11-2017, 02:11:30 »
762 just has a wait in line rule. if someone is ahead of you in line, you have to let them have the tank, kit whatever they're waiting for. they also have to make it clear they're waiting for it.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-11-2017, 09:11:16 »
762 just has a wait in line rule. if someone is ahead of you in line, you have to let them have the tank, kit whatever they're waiting for. they also have to make it clear they're waiting for it.
I remember on Totalize I was waiting for Tiger, and when it spawned, I jumped in. Then a guy, who was waiting for Tiger later than me ran up and started saying that I was farther than 5 meters from the tank, and I should get out.
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)