Author Topic: Realism question.  (Read 2700 times)

Offline 9.Pz Benz

• View Profile
Realism question.
« on: 22-09-2009, 14:09:08 »
First i have to say that i really enjoy this mod and a big thx to that, i was a big FH1 fan but 2.2 draw me over the line to FH2 !

Further i dont know if it is discussed here before but whats up with rag doll behaviour of a character ingame ?

Get shot by a pistol and then you fly away for a 100+ meters doesnt seem realistic to me.

My questions are: Will it be solved or can it be solved and is someone already working on it?

« Last Edit: 27-09-2009, 12:09:53 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
Re: Realism question.
« Reply #1 on: 22-09-2009, 14:09:54 »
Tis to do with the guns killing you outright rather than just incapacitating you.  I presume the pysics on dead bodies is different to the physics on incapacitated bodies, which is why there is so little flying about in vBF2.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-09-2009, 14:09:11 »
That's true. Due to the 1 shot = a kill the ragdoll physics are acting up. But this is an engine problem, so we might be stuck with it.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-09-2009, 16:09:46 »
On the other hand, I never saw this problem in PR, where you are dead quite fast too.

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-09-2009, 18:09:46 »
On the other hand, I never saw this problem in PR, where you are dead quite fast too.

yes but on PR you do get incapacitated. Perhaps on fh2 you should be incapacitated for 1 second to stop the rag doll.
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-09-2009, 18:09:27 »
The devs only would have to change recommendations for server admins, they can add a 1 second down time.

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-10-2009, 11:10:48 »
It really interupts the immersion factor to see your character thrown around like a rag doll. I do not understand why this was ever considered desirable -for meat to be affected like cloth. In lieu of actually being blown apart, there should be a strong bias towards simply throwing the character to the ground. Otherwise, stock death animations would be preferable.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-10-2009, 11:10:34 »
I don't think you can just delete the ragdoll system and replace it by animations. Like I said, if servers added one second down time the problem would probably solve itself.

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-10-2009, 16:10:25 »
I mean in games in general. I have not seen such dynamic physics implemented well. Even in plain BF2 it is odd to see characters thrown up into the air intact from certain things (if not pistol fire).

Your idea seems promising and I hope it is implemented or at least tested by devs.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-10-2009, 11:10:08 »
I think this ragdoll is only played for you, I mean the enemy that shoots you doesn't seee you fly 100 m away, and you never see anyone you shoot fly 100m away... so it's just a local thing happening for you, perhaps the immersion of dying is slightly tampered with, but tbh it doesn't matter that much for gameplay.

remember FH1 where you could follow your teammates around in follow-cam when dead? that's even more unrealistic and silly (but I still kind of miss it).

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-10-2009, 13:10:43 »
remember FH1 where you could follow your teammates around in follow-cam when dead? that's even more unrealistic and silly (but I still kind of miss it).

You can still do that.  Unselect your spawn point  (or else you will only follow them for a few seconds before you respawn), hit the X in the upper right corner of the spawn interface and hit "C" (or whatever your cycle camera button is).  You follow them around until they die (in which case you begin following that player again once he respawns), until you hit "C" again (in which case you start following a different player), or until you respawn.

It doesn't have any use, because people who are alive can't see anything people who are dead type, and I think your voice is muted in BF2's VoIP while you're dead as well (plus, because the camera stays directly behind the player, you couldn't see anyone sneaking up on him or anything, even if the VoIP wasn't muted).

I normally only use this during WaW matches where I'm waiting for my Squad Leader to drive somewhere so we can squad bomb it.  It beats staring at the Spawn Map for several minutes, at least.  (And, because we use Teamspeak during battles instead of the BF2 VoIP, I can comment on the SL's bad driving.  :P)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-10-2009, 14:10:15 »
aha.... that's how it's done  :)

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-10-2009, 00:10:02 »
I think this ragdoll is only played for you, I mean the enemy that shoots you doesn't seee you fly 100 m away, and you never see anyone you shoot fly 100m away... so it's just a local thing happening for you, perhaps the immersion of dying is slightly tampered with, but tbh it doesn't matter that much for gameplay.

Last night I saw someone else get shot and fly across my screen from left to right.

Offline Laboraffe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-10-2009, 16:10:19 »
Where did this rag doll term and concept originate? As said, it is contary to desirable effects. A rag doll is inflexible (non-jointed), light weight, and prone to being thrown around which is the opposite of humans. Yet it is usually described as some sort of advancement. The real goal is natural articulation taking into account range of movement, weight, and forces applied and so on. In games, it usually ends up being more comical than realistic.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-10-2009, 19:10:24 »
The term was coined by game developers afaik.
It came up around the time HL2 was released or even earlier like the time of Soldiers of fortune
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off