Author Topic: Naval vessels  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Naval vessels
« Reply #15 on: 07-07-2014, 14:07:35 »
You people have a weird picture of naval battles in WW2. In most of them, the two fleets didn't even see each other and they were decided by carrier aircraft. In many ways the naval battles in FH1 were an anachronism.

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07-07-2014, 16:07:18 »
My position on Naval vessels has always been thus:

1. Static, destructible aircraft carriers using the BF2 bridge code. Planes spawn on and launch from these, and their defenses are static AA and some cannons depending on the model.

2. Static Battleships with weapon positions, similar to Carrier. Each position can be destroyed and needs to be fixed or lost. This ship serves as the final defense of the carrier.

3. Mobile submarines, cruisers etc, each targeted balanced against another ship type. Like tanks, a fatal hit kills the whole crew. These are mobile, so they can move in to attack.

The gameplay is like a naval version of Battle of Britain. The carrier and heavy battleship serve as the static defenses and objective.

The mobile ships plus aircrafts and sub serve as the attack vehicles.

I'm really happy now that naval stuff will never happens, because your idea... well... suck :)

You people have a weird picture of naval battles in WW2. In most of them, the two fleets didn't even see each other and they were decided by carrier aircraft. In many ways the naval battles in FH1 were an anachronism.
You already know what I will say, but I will say it again. It's a game, sure we will have change thing to make the game enjoyable. FH1 naval were epic that's why it was amazing. I know it wasn't realist, but not of the gameplay we have is realist, so your point, in my opinion doesn't make sens.
« Last Edit: 07-07-2014, 16:07:21 by Alakazou »

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14-07-2014, 21:07:14 »
found this youtube video a week ago. which made me install FHSW mod for battlefield 1942
Cool mod. but the action on server is almost limited to sundays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEcEbYRB_E

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14-07-2014, 21:07:22 »
Almost limited to Sundays? Not true, ~10-15 were on an hour ago, ~5-10 yesterday, ~20 people Saturday, ~20 last Friday.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14-07-2014, 22:07:24 »
cool, good to know. I might try it out more often then  :)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14-07-2014, 22:07:19 »
If you are looking up Youtubes, there are plenty that show the ships of FH2 that the tournament communities have.  Hell, here's one that I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxJ0JK-wjY.  It only has 2 ships but there are others that feature more,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzj1omAdJo0.

Look for some boats in the upcoming public map pack.  After that, maybe some more.  If you can't wait, join the WaW campaign 30 and volunteer for ship duty.  http://bfewaw.com/showthread.php?t=292160&p=3241852#post3241852

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15-07-2014, 01:07:18 »
If you simulated what I suggested well, you'd realize much of the action would happen by airplanes.

The idea of static ships means, the main battleship will never be able to reach the enemy carrier because both are static.

The main fighters are smaller ships that move slowly, and the aircrafts that move fast.
We can't get the range of real ships. SORRY! It's a flipping video game. What we can do is limit the unrealistic elements and force only minor combat between ships and have most of the fighting as naval fighters as it ought to be....

But I've come to realize that certain people on this forum have become/ are prejudiced and would attack any idea they didn't come up with themselves irrespective of the logic -- So I will just present my position and leave it there.

It's not like you guys are presenting any alternative.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15-07-2014, 02:07:10 »
We understand your idea Djinn, we just don't like it. Now face it and quit butthurt. Naval warfare in FH2 won't happen anyway.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-07-2014, 04:07:06 »
Naval warfare in FH2 won't happen anyway.

Well let's see, other games have much better WWII infantry experience (RO2), much better tank warfare (World of Tanks), way better air combat (too many to list). 
What does FH2 have to offer? 
Realism?
Historical accuracy?
No.
It's one of the few games that allows you to play all of these roles together.  But you want to rule out naval warfare?  Are the buggy ships not up to the high standards of the buggy tanks, glitchy maps, and crap infantry combat?  Really?  They are not good enough for the the BF2 engine?

This pretense at perfectionism might make sense if the Devs were working on a stand alone game for a better engine.  At this point in the life of BF2, it's time to give the remaining 200 players what they want.  If this was a once cool nightclub, it's now time for wet T-shirts and all you can drink beer.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15-07-2014, 11:07:52 »
...Are the buggy ships not up to the high standards of the buggy tanks, glitchy maps, and crap infantry combat?  Really?  They are not good enough for the the BF2 engine?
Considering the fact we don't have ship models, yes. FH1 ported models are below standards of what we have in game now. I is easy to create (buggy) naval warfare, but nobody from the dev team will spend his time to work on it as we don't even have proper moddels and our moddelers are busy doing what FH2 needs now, and the list really long, believe me.
« Last Edit: 15-07-2014, 12:07:30 by jan_kurator »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-07-2014, 11:07:31 »
This pretense at perfectionism might make sense if the Devs were working on a stand alone game for a better engine.  At this point in the life of BF2, it's time to give the remaining 200 players what they want.  If this was a once cool nightclub, it's now time for wet T-shirts and all you can drink beer.
One of the worst ideas suggested here is to drop all standards and chase away the last few hundred fans FH2 has. So let's not do that.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15-07-2014, 12:07:11 »
I really understand these suggestions, how I see them is that people just get frustrated that they can't play FH2 with high numbers of players or decent ping in their country, so they suggest something that they believe will help this mod get more players, what is really good, but they push their ideas as they firmly believe in them and sometimes, they just don't take under considaration all pros and cons and when some people (be it devs or anybody else) reject those ideas they get frustrated even more. I'm sorry to say that, but naval warfare won't happen (at least it isn't planned for now) for all mentioned in this topic reasons, if anybody can help us with it and submit his (good quality) work, and/or ship moddels so we will have something to work with, chances to get naval battles in FH2 will drastically increase but what we have from this community is only constant whines and demands without any real help. If you think that making naval warfare using old FH1 models is a huge thing FH2 devs were not able to achieve you can't be mistaken more. For now I can only  suggest you to join public servers to help populate them, everybody is working on eastern front, so don't expect naval vessels and any other drastic gameplay changes in the nearest future...

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17-07-2014, 22:07:41 »
I can live without large naval engagements in Fh2 if its impossible to code.....

...but a Omaha type beach landing on Iwo Jima is.......

...and im willing to wait.....

;)

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17-07-2014, 23:07:05 »
Jimi Hendrix, I have play some custom map with boat and stuff and it's was ok. Not perfect, but better than FH1. THe real problem here is the human ressource. The ship model take time to make and we have to few dev who are active. It's the same thing about the pacific theater. We don't have enough dev.

But in my opinion, the problem we have with FH2 is when they started it. They should have begin by making the 4 major theater of war, not only focusing on one of them. They should have make more generic model for the beginning and after the release they should have had more contents. It's to late for this now, but if someday we have a FH3 (I don't believe in it) those who would make it, would have to make this way.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18-07-2014, 00:07:08 »
Yep, I have the same feeling tbh. But as you can't change the things that happened, it would be nice if people realized that even eastern front isn't released so far and this alone is a big challenge. High standards are a problem for sure as they slow down development, but they are also something that keeps me playing this mod. Details are a strong selling point of FH2 and what gives this mod it's soul.

Had a discussion about H&G with Slayer yesterday and told him something similar. It is a nice game with some interesting features and cool graphics and stuff, but it just has no soul.