Author Topic: The more the merrier - not really the case with FH2?  (Read 5117 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Re: The more the merrier - not really the case with FH2?
« Reply #30 on: 15-04-2014, 21:04:32 »
There really should be a dynamic setting that increases the tickets when past 64 players - 100% ratio at 64, 200% at 128.

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15-04-2014, 23:04:30 »
I like 128 player servers and Would love to play a 256 player  :) its 2014

I think if people with a high ping >100 is connected can cause server lags/spikes maybe ?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15-04-2014, 23:04:32 »
It has nothing to do with your system and everything with the server not being able to handle that many players over long periods.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-04-2014, 10:04:34 »
 I would run the following maps on a 64 player server.

AFRICA
Siege of Giarabub
Tunis
Fall of Tobruk
The Battle for Sfakia
Bardia

WEST FRONT
Pointe du Hoc
Ramelle Neuville
Falaise Pocket
Battle of Brest

The rest on 128.

What about extending the respawn time to help balance out gameplay. Instead of 15-20 seconds, how about 1 min.

;)

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16-04-2014, 11:04:27 »
1 min of waiting after every death? In a game where you get killed all the time? That would be fun "FH2:Waiting Simulator".
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #35 on: 16-04-2014, 14:04:01 »
[...]  :) its 2014[...]

Yes but we play a game of 2005 with a dedicated server programme of 2005 that can only use 1 CPU core.
Most servers of today use several cores of medium performance to split up and facilitate work faster.
That does not work with BF2.

Fast home PC CPUs with cores that can be at a clock of +3GHz and employ lots of cache (~6-8MB) can handle
the game okay, even if you are, say in the ruins, walls and heaps of ingame objects situated in Cagny West of Operation Goodwood. But add to that 128 player models, their guns, fired projectiles, grenades, movements, taunts, audio, etc. etc. and you get a lagging server.

That is why we are thinking of reducing the player number below 128.
http://www.762-ranking.de/forum/showthread.php?1157-128p-Server-Performance-please-read-understand-and-vote!
The idea is to keep the poll open a bit longer and decide after the Easter holidays.

@Mustii: we want to give the players as much free choice as possible. That would mean 2 open servers,
probably with the same max player count, running all FH2 maps so you guys can choose which map you'd like.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16-04-2014, 16:04:55 »
[...]  :) its 2014[...]

Yes but we play a game of 2005 with a dedicated server programme of 2005 that can only use 1 CPU core.
Most servers of today use several cores of medium performance to split up and facilitate work faster.
That does not work with BF2.

Fast home PC CPUs with cores that can be at a clock of +3GHz and employ lots of cache (~6-8MB) can handle
the game okay, even if you are, say in the ruins, walls and heaps of ingame objects situated in Cagny West of Operation Goodwood. But add to that 128 player models, their guns, fired projectiles, grenades, movements, taunts, audio, etc. etc. and you get a lagging server.

That is why we are thinking of reducing the player number below 128.
http://www.762-ranking.de/forum/showthread.php?1157-128p-Server-Performance-please-read-understand-and-vote!
The idea is to keep the poll open a bit longer and decide after the Easter holidays.

@Mustii: we want to give the players as much free choice as possible. That would mean 2 open servers,
probably with the same max player count, running all FH2 maps so you guys can choose which map you'd like.
The poll should have 128, 100 and 84.. reducing the player number just by 10 isn't going to improve anything I'm afraid.

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16-04-2014, 17:04:03 »
I feel much like others on here.  I think that unless the devs open up or change some maps to suite 128 players better, the max should be in the 100 player area.  Some maps play terrible with so many people, especially when teams get unbalanced as far as skilled players and one team just gets brutally raped.  To comment on the Omaha beach with 128, its ok if you're german because you just get to mow down that many more people.  I haven't seen it really help the US much yet, just seems like the professor said, you just lose tickets that much faster.

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16-04-2014, 17:04:34 »
max 100 player is the best IMO. Just because if i get more my fps will drop like hell.

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #39 on: 16-04-2014, 17:04:20 »
Leopardi,

we are not asking where to cap the player count. If we had done that, we would get tons of subjective opinions, probably contradictory results. Read the poll question again please.

We want to know at what point the players start experiencing technical problems (=lag) from the server's (!) side. We will take the results into consideration and hope that the players are mature enough to read, understand and give their precise feedback. Feedback, not based on opinion but on what they have experienced on the server - while playing there.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16-04-2014, 19:04:51 »
I would vote for 80-something, but that is basing my vote on my system performance/specs as well as ping when connected to a European server.

Also I was not aware that BF2 can only utilize one processing core.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16-04-2014, 22:04:31 »
 762 crashes & restart way too much. Is it because of the player numbers or an inadequate server?

Also why are they running 2 64+ servers that crash and have the same map list?

BTW I love 762 keep up the...um...work
 ???
« Last Edit: 16-04-2014, 22:04:33 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16-04-2014, 23:04:54 »
It's the server reset I think that causes everyone to be kicked.

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #43 on: 16-04-2014, 23:04:03 »
762 crashes & restart way too much. Is it because of the player numbers or an inadequate server?

Agreed. What would be an "inadequate server" to you? :)
Both servers are running on a separate root server. Check the IP's ;)
http://www.762-ranking.de/fh2stats/serverinfo/212.227.20.48:16567/
http://www.762-ranking.de/fh2stats/serverinfo/217.79.190.136:16568/

Both are quad core machines with sufficient RAM. Not that BF2 could use a quad core.
Remember, we run a game that is 9 years old (2005). On operating systems it was not made for.
With double the player amount it was made for. With maps that have shitloads of objects (no criticism, just stating a fact) on them, way more than a standard maps like, say Karkand.

Also why are they running 2 64+ servers that crash and have the same map list?

About the crash, see above. We don't have the same map list. We have the same settings for the randomizer and the same map pool (all FH2.46 maps available).

Since the randomizer creates a new map list of all FH2.46 maps +1x extra Omaha and 1x extra Gold Beach (2 fixed start maps because it is shortly after release and people wanna play them badly) -
there are no "same" rotations. Never.

There are 2 different rotations, and they are being renewed after each crash / restart.

BTW I love 762 keep up the...um...work
 ???
We're FH2 players at heart, too. Rest assured, we do what we can and what is reasonable.
Hence me posting here and opening the poll in our forums :)
« Last Edit: 16-04-2014, 23:04:57 by x4fun ODIUM »
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17-04-2014, 04:04:11 »
I would run the following maps on a 64 player server.

AFRICA
Siege of Giarabub
Tunis
Fall of Tobruk
The Battle for Sfakia
Bardia

WEST FRONT
Pointe du Hoc
Ramelle Neuville
Falaise Pocket
Battle of Brest

The rest on 128.

This is actually a pretty good list of what doesn't work with 128 players imo. Those maps just don't play out like they're intended and end up in stalemates half the time.

I miiiiight add Hyacinth to that list. Can probably handle a bit more than 64 but def not 128 ppl. maybe Port en Bessin and Anctoville as well, but they can handle a pretty large number.

Honestly, how well each map plays with 128 players is totally subjective tho, so this list is different for each person :P
« Last Edit: 17-04-2014, 04:04:11 by Matthew_Baker »