Author Topic: Windows XP is still the best OS to run FH2 ???  (Read 603 times)

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Windows XP is still the best OS to run FH2 ???
« on: 13-01-2014, 21:01:27 »
HI FH players
I have a AMD radeon HD 6600 in my dualboot gaming pc, my third gaming desktop since FH2 came out . tried win 8.1 two months ago and went back to old setup dualboot with windows 7 and windows xp (just for playing directx 9.c games better)
As im a little into tweeking / optimizing pc for gaming etc. I found out that running directx 9.c games in windows xp is better than win 7 / 8
GPU on GFX card and CPU has a higher utilization & gets hotter in win 7/8 than win xp

win 7
gpu clock 800MHz, mem 1000MHz (basic settings)
Gfx card gets hot after a while and gpu reaches 100% and almost 95-100 degrees

if I tweak basic settings gpu 900MHz, mem 1150MHZ  gfx goes to hot 105degress and  black screen + shutdown
In windows xp I can tweak gfx gpu 900MHz, mem 1150MHZ and gfx card gets max 95 degrees and cpu utilization is also lower :-)

To monitor temps and utilization I have used the software http://www.argusmonitor.com/en/

Windows xp has less Handles, Threads, Processes than the newer microsoft OS and runs better
-> less overall system lag possiblity -> minimal better net-latency & higher FPS in game

I will still be playing in windows xp after april when windows xp sequirity updates stop
I know most people dont care about gaming performance, but anyway :-)

Please share your thoughts

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Windows XP is still the best OS to run FH2 ???
« Reply #1 on: 13-01-2014, 21:01:35 »
Yikes, 95 degrees! That  sounds like a ventilation/dust buildup problem (or too big of an overclock)...

I wouldn't be comfortable running my card that hot, even if they are designed to withstand up to 105 degrees, and some old nvidias happily ran for years on such temperatures...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Re: Windows XP is still the best OS to run FH2 ???
« Reply #2 on: 13-01-2014, 22:01:27 »
 :)
The gfxcard was orginally buildt in a cheap medion supermarket desktop pc were it ran with same temps 80-100 degress in FH2 1920x1080 and everything on high, 8xA,  fps 65-100 mostly more than 80
since jan 2010, and it runs great in my new power gaming desktop pc aswell.
Runs better in xp than newer OS in directx 9.c games