Author Topic: A little proof of love for Anti-Tankers.  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
Re: A little proof of love for Anti-Tankers.
« Reply #15 on: 15-08-2015, 15:08:58 »
The problem with WW2 footage of bazookas and panzerschrecks is that most of those videos don't have original sounds, but some weird dubbed ones added later and unfortunately, I naver had an occasion to fire a real thing to have a good comparission and all we've got is hollywood productions which are more fake than anything. Hard to judge how good FH2 sounds are on those, but they sound a bit weak TBH.
I think BoB's 1st episode has a real live fire of bazooka in the short firing range montage.

well... it does in game  ???
There definitely isn't any huge smoke trail coming from the rocket during flight in any WW2 footage (or the BoB one), but a short smoke puff coming from the launcher and dirt flying around from the blast. And the "click-whoosh" sound just can't be right, the launch should sound like an explosion.

Rocket arty also is wrong, the smoke should be there only for the short accelerating phase, for some meters.
« Last Edit: 15-08-2015, 15:08:02 by Leopardi »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15-08-2015, 15:08:17 »
Rocket arty also is wrong, the smoke should be there only for the short accelerating phase, for some meters.
Yes, indeed. I remember we discussed it internally back in 2013 when Kev was still active and he reduced rockets to light only for few seconds after the take off. It should be done also to the smoke trails.

Btw, Zari:
Lets take this physically. If rocket from launcher have enough force to fly about 100m, punch the armor and penetrate it, it must have enough energy to produce smoke and sound.
I'm afraid you don't understand how those weapons work. Those rockets don't penetrate because of the force they fly with. HEAT rockets used in bazookas and panzershrecks are shaped charges which explode on impact, the initial explosion of the igniter triggers the burning process of the main explosive charge inside the rocket which is then forced to go out through the tip of the rocket beause of the cone shaped liners inside. The burning material hits the armor with a great pressure (because of the burning process, not the force of the impact) and cut through the armor (by melting it down) creating a small hole in it and killing the crew inside with a shock wave created by the decompression of the gasses inside the vehicle after the penetration.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15-08-2015, 16:08:58 »
To add to what Jan said, the rockets themselves fire for only a very short time.  The reason the Bazooka doesn't need a gunner shield is because the rocket has actually ceased firing before leaving the tube- thus the gunner does not need any protection from a rocket blast to the face.  The Panzerschreck, on the other hand, traded the need for a shield with greater range and accuracy by extending the rocket burn time out until a very brief (like, few milliseconds) period after leaving the tube.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-08-2015, 16:08:10 »
P.S.
I think BoB's 1st episode has a real live fire of bazooka in the short firing range montage.
If that's true, it doesn't make an explosion sound but a weird 'whoosh' sound, different than the one we have in game, but far from explosion. In conclusion, current effects aren't bad at all. We need to reduce smoke further to improve them ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15-08-2015, 17:08:29 »
Also note that firing sounds in movies are generally dubbed over and fucked with to sound better.

Offline Zari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15-08-2015, 21:08:22 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEF4_OYrl2w
Well, here bazooka seems to produce less smoke with shot than in FH2. So, let's stay with sound which should be more panzerfaust/piat-style.

Also, small correction about bazooka from this site.
"There is no “whoosh.” When you shoot it, there is a huge, very loud, sharp bang. True, it’s a rocket, but it sounded like a huge shotgun or artillery shell with no brass base being fired out of a shotgun or cannon with no rear end to the barrel. I did not get the impression that any rocket was propelling it after it left the barrel. The whole idea is there is no recoil because of the lack of a rear end on the barrel. That is quite correct. There is no recoil."
« Last Edit: 15-08-2015, 21:08:11 by Zari »

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15-08-2015, 21:08:37 »
I like this detailed training film:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRPsxgOozqk
There are good examples of the firing at 5:40, 14:20, and 19:45.  It would be great if we could get a realistic and dangerous back blast. 
At 16:00 it shows you how to make an IED with rocket.  We need that too!

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18-08-2015, 04:08:20 »
Lets take this physically. If rocket from launcher have enough force to fly about 100m, punch the armor and penetrate it, it must have enough energy to produce smoke and sound.
Not if you put a silencer on it.

Offline 69rat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26-08-2015, 00:08:26 »
im surprised i dont see many people taking advantage of the pick up kits that have the thermos grenade. ive destroyed plenty of tanks with it. love it.