Author Topic: Turkey from a Foreigners Eye  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
Re: Turkey from a Foreigners Eye
« Reply #15 on: 15-11-2012, 00:11:31 »
i lived in cologne for 14 years if that counts
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15-11-2012, 00:11:02 »
Its true that women are also as domimated as the others in middle east? With a gurka and treated  the same?

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15-11-2012, 01:11:23 »
I've never been in Turkey, but friends and family visited places with few tourism and were amazed by the kindness of the locals.

I'm worried about the political situation. Freedom of press, human rights etc. The interesting quote by Thorondor sums up the problems quite well.

Then the thing with Turkey and the European Union. As Mudra says, most people in the EU, including many politicians don't want Turkey to be part of the EU.
I have nothing against the Turkish culture in the EU, but to be honest there is a long way to go for Turkey to hit EU standards. I am talking about political standards, Erdogan and the AKP in general seem not to make things better and without proper freedom of press, better human rights and seperation of religion and state. Improving and then joining the EU would make things better for the people I think, but that's not gonna happen and I'm afraid their importance and power in the Middle East might suffer, like Mudra said:

Since the EU doesn't want Turkey in, she should turn to the middle east, and see herself as the main regional power aside from Israel.  Intervention in Syria to install a secularist government wouldn't be so bad.

By joining the EU Turkeys power in the region would be a lot more limited. I think Turkeys presence is needed to keep the balance. Although many things go wrong, Turkey seems to have some kind of consistency and enough sanity to keep things under control if needed, without going completely nuts if there is a bigger conflict, like a good bunch of other countries in the region would. They are already a strong military power and it's quite important that they stay strong. EU guidelines might be a hurdle when something happens or even make Turkey weaker in general. So probably indeed better when they move on on their own regarding the international tensions in the Middle East.

Can you tell me something about how most Turkish people think about EU and about Turkeys role in the region TurkishCommando?

The Middle East is a powder keg, the tensions are not going to disappear. I expect Turkey to be as consequent as the are right now. Speak out warnings, and fire back when ignored. I also expect them to quickly intervene if necessary, which is a good thing. A strong and consequent Turkey makes the region probably safer.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-11-2012, 02:11:31 »
Turkey. :D

As many others, I'm a bit worried about Erdogan, I really like the secularistic turkey. But I believe that the people of turkey are not politically radical in their opinions but rather settled and stable in their political alignment. The AKP just acknowledges their muslim roots in public just like many conservative parties acknowledge their christian roots in western countries, for example the Republicans in the USA. And the AKP is a conservative, democratic party, after all. Nothing to worry much about.

A military uprising would be more to worry about, but appears rather like a threat of yesterday to me. A modern stable country doesn't have to fear coups, as the government is supposed to be somewhat efficient and fulfill the needs of its citizen, while the citizen appreciate the overall quality of their political system. I think the turkish government does its job well, considering the good economy growth for years now. So far, a well fed stomache always squelches any civil unrest.

Overall turkey is a melting pot for the different cultures; europe on the on side, the middle east on the other side. And despite all we got in common, the religion makes a cultural difference. But both sides benefit from engagement in turkey, and if turkey takes a stronger role in the middle east, I would appreciate that. And I'm not talking about killing more PPK fighter in Iraq, but a stronger influence on the politics and lifestyle of countries like Lebanon, Iraq, Iran and Syria hopefully soon to be liberated from the dictators hands. With turkey prospering, you can be a role model for your neighbour countries, a country that combines islam with the aspects of a modern world.

Talking about modern and western world: I would like to see turkey being more mature when it comes to crimes done during the 19th century, done by people that are dead by now anyway. Accepting what is being considered your true history among historians anyway wouldn't hurt but show some class.

The funny thing is, that many europeans consider the turkish people in turkey today to be culturally the same as the people they get to know as immigrants living in their suburbs for 20 or 40 years now. When immigrants from turkey came here, they tried to preserve their culture by freezing their cultural habits in time. This causes many turkish people in europe living a life like it has been in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s in turkey, while life in Turkey today is much more modern. Maybe that explains why many people have a picture of underdevelopment when they think about Turkey. But from what I know, it is totally uncommon that women are wearing gurkas or headscarfes, unlike Yustax suggested.
« Last Edit: 15-11-2012, 02:11:42 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15-11-2012, 02:11:56 »
I was revisting Yerevan almost two years ago, and to the Armenians Mt. Ararat is a constant reminder of Turkish expansionism and genocide. I was impartial to the Turkish government, before I learned that they supported the Azeris.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15-11-2012, 06:11:58 »
Its true that women are also as domimated as the others in middle east? With a gurka and treated  the same?

Not all, most seem to be not wearing gurkas. Even though there is a big religious community.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15-11-2012, 06:11:50 »
Thats nice, I prefer individuality rather than the suppression of an entire gender.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15-11-2012, 06:11:07 »
@Surfbird The people were more eager on being a member state of the EU, but now they dont seem to care anymore.  :-\

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-11-2012, 06:11:47 »

Not all, most seem to be not wearing gurkas. Even though there is a big religious community.

Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Niger and Nigeria, thats where its a common site and there are generally laws for it in those countries. In Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Indonesia its not required but its considered modest. In the rural, more traditional communities though, I'd recommend it.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15-11-2012, 15:11:49 »
?

?

Ooooh!

Anyway, as far as Turkey goes, at least it's a muslim country that doesn't go apeshit at a moments' notice when someone draws a naughty picture or something like that. The armwrestling vs Greece has got to stop, it's getting old. Just adding more years to the waiting list for the EU.

But Ataturk was cool. Without him Turkey would probably be a sandbox with Burka's too, no progress anywhere, etc... so good for them. And I very much would like to visit good old Constantinople, no, I don't care it's not called that anymore  8)

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-11-2012, 15:11:16 »
?
 The armwrestling vs Greece has got to stop, it's getting old. Just adding more years to the waiting list for the EU.

Thats damn right!

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15-11-2012, 16:11:29 »

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15-11-2012, 16:11:46 »
?

Those are Khukuris. Very good knives, I've got dozens of them.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-11-2012, 13:11:18 »
Why the Gurkhas?

Because I find it quite amusing when people pretend to talk about a fiercely debated medieval piece of clothing, when their words actually mean vegetables or perhaps a certain brand of elite soldiers. I could have added a pickle too I suppose.

Just yesterday, I saw a woman with a niqab, trying to calm her children in our hospital. The kids were very young, just able to walk. They looked and cried with horror when looking at this Arabic speaking boogeyman, otherwise known as their mother. Sigh. So sad.

Apart from all that, why is NATO preparing to send Patriots when Syria is shooting with anything BUT missiles that can be downed by Patriots. Mortar- arty, radar would be much more logical. Not one journalist asked this, for over a week.
« Last Edit: 22-11-2012, 14:11:12 by Gezoes »

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Biiviz

« Reply #29 on: 22-11-2012, 15:11:48 »
Why the Gurkhas?

Because I find it quite amusing when people pretend to talk about a fiercely debated medieval piece of clothing, when their words actually mean vegetables or perhaps a certain brand of elite soldiers. I could have added a pickle too I suppose.

Burqa is the same as Gurkhas, and Gherkin/Cucumber? I don't see the connection, and what does that have to do with anything anyway?

Just yesterday, I saw a woman with a niqab, trying to calm her children in our hospital. The kids were very young, just able to walk. They looked and cried with horror when looking at this Arabic speaking boogeyman, otherwise known as their mother. Sigh. So sad.

k.

Apart from all that, why is NATO preparing to send Patriots when Syria is shooting with anything BUT missiles that can be downed by Patriots. Mortar- arty, radar would be much more logical. Not one journalist asked this, for over a week.

As far as I can tell from yesterday's news, Turkey has requested them but NATO hasn't decided yet. Since the latest Gaza conflict flared up with missiles flying around, I guess Turkey sees it as a precaution and/or a way to justify acquiring a missile defence.