Author Topic: Overly effective AI stukas  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Solifuge2

• View Profile
Overly effective AI stukas
« on: 02-08-2012, 15:08:18 »
Has anyone tried tanking on El Alamein or more importantly gazala as allies in singleplayer yet? If you grab a tank it's impossible to survive more than 15 seconds before you get bombed by a stuka. It might be that allied AI planes don't take them down, allied AI AA is too ineffective or the stuka AI is just too damn good but even on easy it's just unplayable. They always find you quickly and never miss their bombs.... Just have a go on those maps and share your thoughts.

Greets,
Soli

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
Re: Overly effective AI stukas
« Reply #1 on: 02-08-2012, 17:08:12 »
Bots in planes raped you in vBF2 too, I don't see a difference. This is an AI problem the DEVs might not take care of because it is low priority; you could edit those maps giving no planes to either side though.
Besides, I never played any BF2 mod where the Bots did not have air superiority.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-08-2012, 17:08:15 »
As a ground unit, its your human responsibility is to lead your side.

Ensure the sky is clear. Bots dont take planes all the time, so get rid of those planes and you should be free to move around until the next wave.

Don't forget, the Kittyhawk is even more deadly cuz its both a fighter and bomber and less likely to miss its target, the way it flies and less likely to get shot down.

So everything works out.

In WWII, surviving being taken out by an airstrike wasn't about hoping he doesn't see you, but having dominance of the air.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-08-2012, 18:08:03 »
I would agree that the bots seem overly aggressive in FH2, especially the new release. I'm pretty sure this is part of their plot to make everyone play multi-player.. ;).  Unfortunately, I used to enjoy playing co-op via LAN with a few friends who can't or don't play online for various reasons. ... It appears the bots are already on 100%, the tankers will take you out in mere seconds, and bots have absolutely no problem with shooting you across the map.  :o

Offline Solifuge2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-08-2012, 00:08:36 »
Djinn i think you haven't tried tanking as allied on gazala yet, you really should. When you're in a tank you don't have any AA, and there are so many stukas it's impossible to clear the skies long enough with static AA / planes to live longer than 15 seconds when you jump in a tank afterwards. I'm not exaggerating, you won't kill a single tank. It was completely fine last FH version where you occasionally got bombed, now it's ludicrous. Play a round tanking :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-08-2012, 00:08:15 »
We can tweak the spawn ratio for planes, but Stukas havent changed since 2.25

We DID nothing.

You do need move with other tanks to reduce your chance of dying by planes.

I play ALL the SP maps, way more than I play MP because my internet sucks.
And I've been playing Gazala since it got AI support.

Try playing with bots on 80%. At 100%, they ARE perfect shots.
Anything between 60% and 80% is reasonable.

But for human level of accuracy, you can go to 90%. Bot AA is also very deadly. In some cases, more so than human AA and bot aircrafts dont fly as high as humans so they make easier shots.

Offline Solifuge2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-08-2012, 00:08:16 »
Well maybe there are just too much stuka's on gazala, there are 6 since the initial 3 just respawn right away. Thanks for the tip to move with other tanks, though I suspect it will just be a bigger carnage. Also the allied bots dont take tanks on gazala they all just clump together at the box flag... I played singleplayer, maybe it's better to play coop and adjust it to 80. I can't remember how to increase the bot number though from ~46.
« Last Edit: 03-08-2012, 00:08:32 by Solifuge2 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-08-2012, 01:08:57 »
No you are right. That does make that flag rather annoying. Its a matter of redistribution.

It once was more spread and the battle got all the way to the last flag. But maps keep undergoing changes that break SP.

Dont move in a clump of tanks, but move in force with spacing.
Usually, its the lead tank that gets killed. And the Stuka usually doesnt return immediately.

Like most maps, this one also needs rebalancing. Will see what we can do.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-08-2012, 14:08:32 »
Bots will spawn at the nearest attack/defend order flag.

So normally the allied bots at Gazala, Alam Halfa, and such maps don't spawn at the rear, where most of the tanks spawn.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-08-2012, 16:08:05 »
We are working on fixing the attack flow,

If there is need, we will reduce or increase the number of waves for each unit to ensure it doesnt become a rapefest.

Offline DirArtillerySupport

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-08-2012, 21:08:21 »
FH1 had the same exact problem with people seeing the nose of a bomb while driving in a tank far too often.  You heard the siren and you basically jumped out and ran away or you died.  If anyone could have fixed it I have a feeling they would have tried to make bots dropping bombs a little more like bot infantry firing a rifle but it never happened....and we're talking years of development.  I have a feeling adding a cone of fire to a bomb simply isn't possible in the BF2 engine.  All they can do is put limits around the problem that was created or never fixed by DICE.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-08-2012, 06:08:03 »
The thing is, bots fly very low in game, thus you got little chance to avoid the incoming bombs.

Offline vonsepp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-08-2012, 00:08:06 »
Hi Guy's
Had my first game of El Alamein last night, and found that jumping in the Kittyhawk did save me a lot of grief from the stuka's,getting some height really payed of as well as djinn said gives you heaps more of a chance,mind you my skills aren't that good and the ai really pushed me to the limit,still heaps of fun shooting up the stuka's with the kittyhawk  ;D

Offline Bikewer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-08-2012, 02:08:51 »
I found much the same thing as the others, Stukas just too numerous/accurate.   Also the same thing with the few AA positions....jump ino a Bofors and it's instant death.
Used to be my great joy to shoot down airplanes, but though I score hits the planes just seem to keep flying.

How does one go about modifying the particular map?   I was just looking through the FH2 files and didn't see where these settings are stored.
« Last Edit: 05-08-2012, 02:08:25 by Bikewer »

Offline rd.king

• 1943 WLC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-08-2012, 04:08:37 »
I hope they never change the stukas again.
This is a good thing.
You hear the sirens and you just better get out and run.
It means you have to watch constantly.