Author Topic: Prospective Player, Have Some Questions!  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: Prospective Player, Have Some Questions!
« Reply #15 on: 31-03-2011, 18:03:40 »
However, I do feel that BF2 somewhat has several weaknesses compared to BF1942. Namely...

Tanks!!! They have this kind of "rubbery" "plasticky" feel physics built into them. Unlike BF1942's tank, which feels more like metal, BF2's tank somehow defy physics in a way that they are more like Need For Speed cars when in collision (unless we are talking about BF1942 tank's wobbly suspension, which makes Tiger tank like a giant see-saw)  Sure they look and sound cooler with all updated graphics and sound engine, even FH2 tank did not escape this disappointing drawback. IIRC, BattleGroup's tank physics is more like it, but it is very buggy.
vBF1942 tanks were terrible! They all fired what appeared to be small rockets which had absolutely absurd shell drop and flew at about the same speed as you could run. Worse, it look about 5 shots to kill any enemy tank with one and there was almost no noticeable differences between the types of tanks. vBF2 tanks weren't great but they were still a huge improvement.

I was pointing on the "feel" of the tank. Overall, BF2/FH2 tanking is better than BF1942/FH1, however there is this missing thing.

Bots in vBF2 do understand our command just like in BF: Vietnam, just slightly more advanced (thanking after being cured/revived - however you can't revive in FH2; requesting transport, etc). In FH2, the command is broken due to commorose remodelling, so the bots no longer understand command, but they still obey the commander though.

Is BF2 better than BF1942? In general, yes!

Is FH2 an improvement over FH1? Absolutely!

Offline hushicho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01-04-2011, 14:04:22 »
Unfortunately Battlefield 1942 still does not function properly, and I'm really very tired of trying to coax it into functioning the way it's supposed to. I don't have the time or the inclination to waste it, however fun a game it is, or was rather, before it started to be so obnoxious.

I appreciate your help trying to get it running, but it's just not cut out for Windows 7 apparently, nor its compatibility modes.

I ended up picking Battlefield 2 while I was out. I didn't expect to find it when I stopped by a local shop, so I thought I'd just get it and give Forgotten Hope 2 a try. It can only be easier to get working than 1942! Thanks so much everyone for all your kind words.
« Last Edit: 01-04-2011, 17:04:20 by hushicho »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01-04-2011, 18:04:55 »
Your welcome. But hey, you won't regret it, that's for sure. Trust us, cause we were once a die-hard BF1942 fans too.  ;)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02-04-2011, 08:04:35 »
Now that you've got it, this is the correct install order:

1. Install Battlefield 2.
2. Install the 1.41 full patch (536MB), which can be found here. http://www.gamershell.com/download_16477.shtml
3. Install the 1.50 patch (1.93GB), which can be found here. http://www.gamershell.com/download_50494.shtml

Then you're ready to install FH2... :)

Note:
 The 1.5 patch is a monster due to it containing 2 booster packs (6 new maps, EU army, etc.), but you don't necessarily need it as FH2 will run fine on the 1.41 patch. Although as mentioned, you will need the CD in the drive with 1.41 (unless you DL a No-CD crack).

Regarding difficulty, if the ingame easy/med./hard settings aren't to your liking, you can manually fine-tune it in the files (can be set anywhere from 0.1 (easy) to 1.0 (hard)).

And if that's not enough, you can always modify the files to reduce weapon damage/increase health...but I doubt it'll come to that.

If you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to ask, one of us will know the answer... :)

Offline hushicho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02-04-2011, 09:04:07 »
Thank you so much. :) You are all fantastic and so helpful. It really means a lot to me.

UPDATE: I tried Forgotten Hope 2, and after all that installing and everything...it's not so fun even on Easy. One-shot kills are not okay.

So where and how can I adjust the weapon damage? It would definitely be more entertaining if a single mistake from seemingly random weapon fire wasn't an immediate game over.
« Last Edit: 02-04-2011, 12:04:26 by hushicho »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02-04-2011, 17:04:00 »
Hmm, to lower the damage of all weapons you would have to mes with every single projectile file and then your weapons would do less damage too. I doubt that is possible. However, if you go to your documents folder, search for the folder "Battlefield 2", in there go to "Profiles" and then to "Default". There are several text files in there. Open the one titled "General". there is a lnine about the ai you could change:

GeneralSettings.setBotSkill 0.5
If you change the number to be lower, the bots should be hitting you less often. If they hit you, you will often still die with one hit though.

I would also redommend starting your sp games by going on Multiplayer and then creating a local game in "coop mode". that is basically singleplayer, but you can customize more stuff, for example having more bots and shorter wounded time, so you respawn faster after one gets you somehow.
« Last Edit: 02-04-2011, 17:04:59 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02-04-2011, 20:04:24 »
Go to (your drive and Battlefield 2 directory)\mods\FH2\ai folder

Open aidefault.ai with text editor, and find the bold-ed line as shown below:

echo *****************************************************************************************
echo AIDefault.ai ****************************************************************************
echo *****************************************************************************************

aiSettings.setNSides 2
aiSettings.setAutoSpawnBots 1

aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1
aiSettings.setMaxNBots 52
aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0
aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.6

Change the underlined value.

At 0.5 (50%) bot skill, they'll be relatively clumsy. It is like aiming device were taken off from them.

At 0.7 (70%), they'll started to be good, hitting you after few scatter shots.

At 0.9 (90%), generally a one shot-one kill when they see you.

Offline hushicho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02-04-2011, 23:04:31 »
Hm. I've changed the AI now, but it was at 0.4, meaning they were more than what you said was relatively clumsy. Apparently we have slightly different standards for clumsiness!

Someone had mentioned editing something to have greater health. Perhaps that would help me not be quite so vulnerable to one-shots. Thank you for the help finding the things to change. I hope you'll help me find this too!

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-04-2011, 12:04:11 »
If you want to increase your health, you'll need to modify the .tweak file for every soldier type, but it's not as bad as it sounds...

- Go to '...Battlefield 2\mods\fh2' and open your objects_server.zip (make a backup first).

- Inside 'Soldiers' is a sub-folder for each army containing anywhere from one to a dozen .tweak files.

- Open the file, e.g: 'Soldiers\IA\ia_light_soldier.tweak'

- Change the following lines:
rem ---BeginComp:Armor ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent Armor
ObjectTemplate.armor.maxHitPoints 100
ObjectTemplate.armor.hitPoints 100
ObjectTemplate.armor.wreckhitpoints 320
ObjectTemplate.armor.defaultMaterial 24
ObjectTemplate.armor.explosionForceMod 25

- Save and update the archive.

I'd say 'IA' is the Italians, so you can easily test it by changing the two files within, then loading up Bardia or Giarabub.

Obviously this will involve some trial and error in finding the right value, but once you are happy with your level of "bullet-resistance", you can then go through and change the rest of the .tweak files.

Just don't forget that doing this will increase everyone's health... ;)

NOTE: I don't know what effect doing this will have on the bandages/dressings, I don't know how they work.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-04-2011, 15:04:22 »
A word of advice Hushico,
Instead of tampering with the coding to make yourself invulnerable or something, try learning (the hard way) how to play Fh2. During gameplay don't run around in the open - use cover...don't move straight - zigzag from one place to another. The learning curve for FH2 is really really steep but once you get the hang of it I assure you that this will be the only game you will play (or at least the one you will play most)
 ;)
« Last Edit: 06-04-2011, 08:04:18 by Raziel »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-04-2011, 17:04:19 »
The map is deliberately map with multiple covers. We really need to carefully move from one spot to another through series of covers.

I prefer distraction such as suppressing fire, smoke grenades, or rolling tanks. Because bots aren't affected by suppression, it is better to roll with the tanks. Because bots don't see through objects.

Bots are also easily distracted, e.g. AA bots prioritize airplanes over knife wielding soldiers approaching him with bad intention.

Offline hushicho

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07-04-2011, 15:04:14 »
Well, after having tried to get used to FH2's play style for days now, I can say with absolutely no hesitation that I will definitely be trying to adjust everyone's health because, to be honest, I am sick of getting one-shotted by things that either come out of nowhere, or shouldn't even be able to hit me. I've used cover...zig-zagging...everything. I'm not a terrible player, but this is ridiculous. As I had thought, it is simply too unforgiving and it is just not fun. It would be much more entertaining if it weren't full of one-shots.

And, for that matter, extremely long treks to get back into the battle you were just one-shotted at before you were able to do anything.

FH2 is definitely ambitious, and I admire all of the visuals and the mechanics that went into this, but being that vulnerable is just not enjoyable. I appreciate the help getting it working though, and I'll try this and see how it works for me before completely giving up on it.

I really wish I could run 1942 without it consistently crashing. :(

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07-04-2011, 16:04:16 »
I think you define "damage" too narrowly. Do you know that snapping sound you hear from time to time. That means a bullet flew just past you. This is the time to do something, because sooner or later you will die. Look at it like receiving damage in other games: Sooner or later your time will run out, there is just no health bar.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07-04-2011, 18:04:12 »
Surviving tips besides individual effort:

Try to move together with your squad mates/buddies, it greatly improve our chance of survival.

Make your teammates cover your move, ask covering fire.

Plan your move, a simple "Hey, let's move, back me up bro" to your nearby teammates will at least give them some idea not to TK you.

Next, use smoke grenades... they are useful, not only for blinding your opponents, sometimes it can lag them to hell as well (for online play).

Most maps are pre-sighted, never attempt risky attacks from unsuspecting direction.

Remember MG positions. Never cross their field of fire!

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07-04-2011, 18:04:42 »
He is playing singleplayer....