Author Topic: Total War games  (Read 71494 times)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Total War games
« on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:09 »
I'm suprised no one has recreated this thread yet!

Anyway.
I have played it!
It works!

In the seventh day, CA created Empire, and said that it was good.

Played through the Road To Independence (except the last part, only played it partially, was to eager to play as Sweden)
Started as sweden and are playing with them currently.

I have yet to find a winning strategy, so it's going up and down.

I have taken all of scandinavia (norway, sweden, denmark), finland, Ingria, Estonia & Livonia (or what it's called) and Moscow (muscovy).

I quickly captured courland.
I started building 3 seperate armies:
One smaller to take on the norwegian capital of Christiania
One to guard Öresund from a fort, denying any danish army entrance to swedish mainland.
One To repel any russian attackers, and eventually march into russian territory.

I captured Christiania, declaring war on the alliance between Russia and Denmark.
Denmark sent ships to blockade my port at öresund, thus I couldn't move any units across to Copenhagen. So the army remained in their fort until I could muster a fleet that could take on the danish fleet.

Russia attacked me several times with smaller armies, I retrained the army and marched towards Muscovy.
On the way, I faced another russian army, and every unit in my army was cut down to half their original size.
I attacked Muscovy, my units were half their numbers, but with valuable experience and with me in command, my army managed to capture muscovy, It was truly an epic victory. They didn't stand a chance.

The next epic battle was when I had managed to transport my army towards copenhagen, they marched out to attack me before I managed to besiege the city.
They had approximately 10 units of line infantry + some cavalry, pikemen and cannons.
I had 5 units of line infantry + pikemen + 1 unit of militia.
My troops were in general inferior to their line infantry.

The situation was dire, I was heading for a definate loss.
They were clever and attacked my flank with their full army, while I had full units of line infantry standing idle on the other flank.
What saved me was my dragoons. They rode behind the enemy force, dismounted and fired at their back.
At the same time, my line infantry came to the aid, and I attacked ther mainforce from 3 directions.
I managed to win, just barely.
It was truly epic and intense.

I have no alliances. The ottoman empire (though very friendly relations) just refuse to enter an alliance with me.
I stand alone, with an angry prussian force standing at my relatively undefended gates, and I lack the resources to build a defending army, this will prove to be quite a challange.

I went into bankruptcy over a few turns, it was that bankruptcy that motivated me to attack muscovy, relieving my cofferts from the upkeep of my soldiers.

Prussia wanted to negotiate.
My region of Courland, against ther region of East Prussia + 2 technologies + 1200 gold.
I accepted, since I was in dire need of both money and technology.
2 turns later, they wanted to trade back.
East Prussia against Courland + 2 technologies + 1000 gold.
2 turns later, they wanted to trade back.
and it went on like that for a while, until I decided I would not let east prussia go again, since it gave me such a heavy income compared to Courland.

It is really exciting, and I really have to struggle for survival.
It's not going very great though, my best units are Grenadiers, and I'm at 1732 (that's pretty late isn't it?).
« Last Edit: 28-02-2010, 22:02:18 by Tedacious »
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Biiviz

Re: Total War games
« Reply #1 on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:16 »
Scandinavia at that time would actually include Finland, as we were a part of Sweden. :P

Offline MrFancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:26 »
There has been a new patch, hopefully the campaign-crashes have been fixed so that I can finish conquering the world with my British line infantry.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:46 »
Hey Ted, good to see you here.
I did play as prussia, taking kurland, who attacked me, hannover, rheinland. Then sweden declared war on me as my king died, but I took them by surprise with a naval landing at stockholm and defeated them quickly.
Then I build up my army, expanding it to roughly 4 or 5 full stacks, and then straight launched an attack on saxony and directly took it. The larger goal there was to lure poland in declaring war on my, which they did. Five turns later, they were completely defeated, a turn later I took there last city without a fight.
Then by surprise, austria attacked me, they were said to be quite strong. Three turns later, they now have lost all their armies, are left with half a stack and a few garrisons, and only have two provinces left.

But I haven't played on since almost two weeks - I can't get myself motivated to do so.  :-\

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-03-2009, 01:03:24 »
My game crashes every time I get to 1770 as Britain, regardless of anything. Am very frustrated as it's a great game. Patch asap, please.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31-03-2009, 01:03:37 »
Yea I got to play it! The Campaign lags quite a bit and has some major bugs, but the battles themselves are amazing!

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31-03-2009, 08:03:15 »
Hey Ted, good to see you here.
I did play as prussia, taking kurland, who attacked me, hannover, rheinland. Then sweden declared war on me as my king died, but I took them by surprise with a naval landing at stockholm and defeated them quickly.
Then I build up my army, expanding it to roughly 4 or 5 full stacks, and then straight launched an attack on saxony and directly took it. The larger goal there was to lure poland in declaring war on my, which they did. Five turns later, they were completely defeated, a turn later I took there last city without a fight.
Then by surprise, austria attacked me, they were said to be quite strong. Three turns later, they now have lost all their armies, are left with half a stack and a few garrisons, and only have two provinces left.

But I haven't played on since almost two weeks - I can't get myself motivated to do so.  :-\
Good to see you here too schneider/boller(?).

I love this game. next step is to advance further into russia, build good relations with neighbouring countries, and expanding my empire to the colonies of india and america.

BTW just realized one thing.
Mr. Pedantic is lost to us, wonder if we will ever see him again:P
he never even played FH, he just hung around the OT forum.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31-03-2009, 09:03:48 »
No, he's around.  He's also on the new forums from n0e

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31-03-2009, 11:03:30 »
ARgh, I want to play it again and >.<
Stupid exams, taking my whole time for learning. Atleast they´re over tomorrow...
My Russian empire definately needs to whipe out the Ottomans now!
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #9 on: 31-03-2009, 14:03:15 »
Well at least you can't say CA have been slow on the patches! The fourth was released today so they seem to be addressing issues almost one at a time and getting the fixes out as soon as they're done. I've had a few irritating problems/crashes so far but I'm pretty confident they'll be fixed asap. I've also got a new uber-PC on the way so I can play it all maxed out... :D

Game-wise I'm still in the Road to Independence campaign. I have captured the required 8 provinces and now need to choose a few more to make it up to the winning 15. It's been great fun so far although sometimes the AI seems a bit sloppy/wrong. Still, it'll be fixed soon!

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31-03-2009, 15:03:30 »
I hope I can get ETW soon and when I do have it I also hope they have ironed out all the nastiest issues it has right now. And maybe modders have done little miracles by then also. :D So until I get this I'm still stuck with the demo and the older Total Wars...

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #11 on: 31-03-2009, 15:03:37 »
I thought about creating it but waited for you Zweig  :)
Anyways, stopped my campaign with Russia. I already have all the territories required and it's still 1755 so I have to wait another 45 years before the campaign is over, that took me too long.
Played with the Provinces for a short moment but then decided to take Great Britain. I am currently kicking native American arses around Rupert's Land. Send an army to Montreal and Quebec to liberate the Canadians from the evil French. And I think I will start an Operation Overlord against France. Since I only need to capture 2 regions to conquer European France. But first colonial expansion, my economy is not yet full grown and it costs alot of money to have multiple big armies.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:33 »
One thing I'm kind of dissappointed with (so far), is the diplomacy system.

We were promised a hugely enhanced diplomacy system.
But you hardly have any options at all!
at least in the earlier total wars you could choose "attack faction" in the diplomacy part.

I'm missing pretty much from diplomacy, many things I don't even know of, but I expected them to be there.

HOW do you get someone in an alliance with you? all the other factions does it! But I can't!

been "Very friendly" with the ottoman empire for 30 years now, we share a common enemy (russia), and I'm on the offensive against russia.
Still, they refuse without a doubt.
I try to throw in technologies and Gifts from the state, but they still refuse.

I need an ally!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:39 »
Ted, try it when you're not in a war.
The AI will never go into an alliance that is at war.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:41 »
seems a bit strange since we both share russia as our enemy.