Author Topic: BF2.exe Crashed  (Read 3738 times)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
Re: BF2.exe Crashed
« Reply #30 on: 05-12-2009, 07:12:21 »
...I can log in but when I double click on a server its an instant crash to desktop...

I developed this problem the other day after uninstalling EA's Easyinfo 3 utility (Fuck you...fuck you very much, EA >:(). As well as the CTD, when I put the BF2 CD in the drive it would start the installer.

Turns out the little bastard wiped the whole HKLM\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games folder in my registry (it contains the games CD key info). I undid the damage by using System Restore.

Obviously, when you insert the CD or try to join a server, they both look for the key info in the registry. If it isn't there, the CD starts the installer and the servers boot you because they think it's a pirate copy. SP mustn't check or it'd crash too.

In your case, you've got a new registry and unless you can modify it to add the CD key, you'll have to reinstall.

Offline Stevo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05-12-2009, 16:12:36 »
very interesting Canonfodder.

So without having a restore point, how does one reintroduce that entry into the registry 'properly'.

I'll have to try this when I get the chance as I have to reboot my machine to do so.

Offline Kokanee64

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-12-2009, 01:12:20 »
Okay I reinstalled BF2, and then downloaded v1.5 patch, I go to install it and it says you already have a higher version. I need the disk to start the game which I don't think you have to do after v1.5, I get some static mesh crash while FH2 is starting. I can start up the normal BF2 but when i join a server I get kicked fer some punkbuster error.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-12-2009, 02:12:11 »
You need to download and install BF2 patch 1.41 before 1.5.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-12-2009, 05:12:31 »
very interesting Canonfodder.

So without having a restore point, how does one reintroduce that entry into the registry 'properly'.

I'll have to try this when I get the chance as I have to reboot my machine to do so.

You should be able to go into regedit and create it from scratch...problem is not knowing what to enter...

Wait a sec...just found this: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Can-t-find-install-folder-Battlefield-2-t172228.html&st=15

...and this: http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-48694434&pid=920407

I'd do what the first post in the first link says, but it was written pre-1.5 so you'll have to add this line: "Version"="1.5"
Insert it underneath this line: "InstallDir"="c:\\program files (x86)\\EA Games\\Battlefield 2"

Make sure the filepath is correct (e.g. mine doesn't have (x86) or Wow6432Node in it).

Then modify it for your CD key info (second link).

With any luck, that'll save you from the torture of a BF2 reinstall... ;)