Author Topic: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover  (Read 23376 times)

azreal

Re: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
« Reply #75 on: 01-04-2011, 19:04:09 »
Do it Mudra! In hopes that when I buy this when I get home from college in 4 weeks it'll be fixed up and playable. ;)

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #76 on: 02-04-2011, 04:04:34 »
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20055
I think that post pretty much sums up the brilliance of the Il-2 guys. They're readily admitting there's bugs, they're addressing them asap, and, not only that, but when they release the patch it will also have new multiplayer maps and two new Bf109 variants - and all for free!

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 02-04-2011, 05:04:48 »
Ok, so I played through the first 4 missions for the brits.  I was only ever able to shoot anything down by holding down the trigger and spraying aimlessly on unlimited ammo until something hit, due to the massive lag that I suffered from any kind of engagement.  That said, the game shows TONS of potential, and if the lag can get fixed, it'll be over 9000 times better.  The graphics, when they do work, they are amazing, and the missions are very nice, with a very nice storyline for the british campaign.  Also, the 4th mission, with the Me110 formation that surprises your squadron and procedes to chew through your planes like butter, wow <3  They got the Me110 right, with them constantly diving and climbing for their attacks, and turning into the hurries for frontal attacks, which they easily won.  We knocked down 2 of theirs, of which both kills were mine (again, holding down the trigger and hosing, something I wouldn't have been able to do with limited ammo), while they wiped out 8 of our own planes.  The after mission briefing made my heart flutter for its words on the Me110 <3

"Heck of a fighter, that 110.  Remember when they told us a twin-engine plane with a rear gunner would be slow and clumsy?"

"They must have been trying to justify the Defiant"

"You know, I begin to eny the Luftwaffe. They've got the 110 and we've got the Defiant.  They've got the 109, and we've got the Hurricane"

"The hurricane's a good crate though!"

"No offense, but we were totally outmatched against the 110"

"I know, good guns on them too.  When a 110 started firing at me, I thought it was Christmas!  Did you see Gout get hit?  His plane just disintegrated!"

We both grew silent.  Picket slapped me on the back and said "Well, I'm glad we're both still here.  Can't get any worse than this, which means it only gets better!"

I really wished I could feel the same way

Mmmmm, 110 <3

Also, I found something interesting on an IL-2 forum whilst milling around for any more info on fixes.  It is a statistical comparison of kills to shootdowns of Hurricanes, Spitfires, Me109s, and Me110s, during the battle of Britain:

July-October 1940
    Spitfire 550 victories to 329 losses – a ratio of 1.7:1
    Hurricane 750 victories to 603 losses – a ratio of 1.2:1
    Bf 109 780 victories to 534 losses – a ratio of 1.5:1
    Bf 110 340 victories to 196 losses – a ratio of 1.7:1

Also consider that the germans were inordinately encountering fighters, while the british were usually engaging bombers and fighters, and there was maybe 1 Me110 in theater for every 4-5 Bf109s.  I love you 110 <3

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 02-04-2011, 16:04:15 »
there are some small fixes for the il2 config.ini:
http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7871043264/m/7631047819
important is:
[BOB]
AntiEpilepcy=0
EpilepsyFilter=0

and
[rts]
tickLen=30
ProcessAffinityMask=15

depends on your cpu:
2 cores - 3
3 core - 7
4 cores - 15
6 cores - 63
8 cores - 255

its worth trying, since it helped my framerate a bit. (turn steam cloud and write-lock the config, so it doesnt get overwritten)

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #79 on: 03-04-2011, 11:04:53 »
I just tried an "extended demo" (don't ask me anything about it) of the EU version and I gotta say, it runs great on my computer. There are definitely some problems, like slowdown when a bf110 goes full spray on a nearby bomber, but I was actually quite shocked at just how well it ran on my computer. I was able to bump some graphics to high (models, effects, decals etc) with the rest on medium and it still runs fine with 15+ aircraft. Granted, I consider my computer high tier, but it's not quite as high-tier as some of the people that get bad FPS. I have no idea why they are getting 1fps with one plane, because I'm sure not.

My main complaint right now is the quick mission menus, they're vastly inferior to the original il2 menus, and I have yet to find out how to get custom loadouts in singleplayer (I need my rainbow tracer spam).

From what I have seen this can all be fixed with patches, and I am definitely buying this when it comes out in America.

Don't cancel your orders yet folks, there's great potential in this.

Edit: Here's some shots I took. Shadows are on medium, and I'm not quite sure what the grounds set on (either low or medium), but it doesn't look too good in the AA shot. I wanted to get some nice shots of the FW-200s (my favorite German bomber), but the camera was ornery and I couldn't get it to move how I wanted.

Huge PNGs ahoy, right click and hit view image to see full size:

Wish there was spoiler tags on this forum. Sorry about the huge images guys.
« Last Edit: 06-04-2011, 10:04:23 by Lupin »

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #80 on: 04-04-2011, 01:04:46 »
I played it for a couple hours and kept coming across some glaring problems which lowered my opinion of the game a little bit. Still going to buy it, but some of these are pretty annoying and seem like something -any- betatester would've found on the first day.

1: No matter how good you are, no matter how many planes you shoot down, and no matter how perfectly you follow the waypoints and mission objectives, you will fail every single campaign mission. The campaign missions also don't track your kills or give you medals or anything else like the il2 campaigns. It was kind of annoying because on the first mission I shot down 3 do17s, and two stukas on the next mission (pretty good considering I'm a piss-poor fighter pilot), yet there was no recognition of my ace status, and the mission briefings still had my character as the "sheepish naive newbie that can't do anything right and has no friends".

2: All variants of the BF-109 have the rear elevators set up 5 degrees. This means that you will always be fighting against that, and the second you let go of your stick your 109 will shoot up into the sky. I hope this gets fixed soon as it is a huge problem and I have no idea how it got past any testers.

3: Quick missions, etc. The menus are a mess and are inferior in every way to the original il2 mission menus. Custom loadouts, etc are impossible to use in single player.

4: There is definitely slowdown over cities. Slow, but still mostly playable. Still managed to shoot down a hurricane while I was flying a stuka over a city.

5: Some planes feel really hyperactively twitchy, but this might just be me and my ancient cheapo attack 3 joystick (doesn't even have twist grr). I was flying the spitfire in one mission and I could barely get a bead on anything because the second I touched my joystick it would fly way past where I wanted to adjust. Hurricane handles alright for me, bf110 handles great, and I love the way bombers handle, which is good because I'm actually a good bomber pilot (but not a bombardier ;D)!

Multiplayer is definitely going to be the main attraction for this game.

Overall, it's still fun, but it needs a little work.

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 04-04-2011, 23:04:35 »
If bombadiering is the same as IL2 1946 ill be so happy. I can literally put a bomb in a Pickel barrel there however if IL2 CoD includes wind I obviously cant

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 05-04-2011, 00:04:25 »
Phoney war, Battle of France, Overlord and bombing the Reich are possible expansions IMO.

Imagine it.. Flying CAS with Typhoons, destroying Tigers and Panthers and other stuff.. Or the Legend of Y-29 AKA Operation Bodenplatte, or fighting the ME-262 in your Mustang.

Airwar in the pacific is unloved...

Personally I never know how do I fly those carrier planes properly in iL2 1946 - takeoff and landing is no problem though.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 05-04-2011, 09:04:19 »
Airwar in the pacific is unloved...

Personally I never know how do I fly those carrier planes properly in iL2 1946 - takeoff and landing is no problem though.
IL2 flight model is good, but still basically flawed. The original IL-2 and its sequel IL-2 Forgotten Battles (upon which the series up to 1946 is built) were most concerned in modeling low-altitude turning fights and ground attack runs. However, especially the American fighters were optimized for high-altitude performance and zoom'n'boom attacks. And this is bad news since the flight model IMHO breaks down above ~4 km, making high-altitude combat unrealistic and degrading the performance of planes with powerful engines but little manoeuverability. I won't even begin that some of the planes are "interestingly" modelled - FW190 should be a dogfighting monster but making a controlled turn in one is challenging enough, I-153 is some sort of WTFPWN superfighter, Fokker D.XXI cannot perform even basic aerobatics, etc.

In addition, at least way back when I actively browsed the IL-2 forums, Oleg & co. preferred "neutral" reports about plane performance, ie. test flights of captured planes instead of factory test flights or combat accounts by the pilots regarding their own planes. Whether the captured planes were ever test-flown at the limits of their performance, or whether the test pilots knew how to get the most out of them (unlike pilots who had trained in them), or whether the damage was sufficiently repaired in order not to hamper performance is anyone's guess. Also, considering many Allied engines required 130-octane fuel in order to run at full power, and that late in the war the Germans did not have any, well...

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #84 on: 06-04-2011, 02:04:21 »
Managed to crank up my graphics to maximum, with only building detail being on medium, and forgetting about anti-aliasing. Seemed to perform about the same, which seemed playable enough on the online maps with a ton of bombers and hurricanes.

Here's another obnoxiously huge batch of pngs right click and hit view image to see fullsize:

(imageshack removed this one for whatever reason):

« Last Edit: 06-04-2011, 12:04:52 by Lupin »

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 06-04-2011, 04:04:27 »
Right, lupin and chance you could put [img width=780] on those?
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 06-04-2011, 04:04:36 »
YES!  Patch officially released on steam this coming Friday! :D

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #87 on: 06-04-2011, 10:04:56 »
Right, lupin and chance you could put [img width=780] on those?

I'll try it now. Can't say im familiar with that code.

Edit: It works. Thanks for the code.

Anyhow, are there any screenshots that anyone wants to see in particular? Like a certain plane or a large bomber formation? I'll switch on AA tonight and see about temporarily disabling the HUD stuff.
« Last Edit: 06-04-2011, 10:04:01 by Lupin »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 06-04-2011, 10:04:30 »
Where are those Islands with the huge hills at? Doesn't look like anything I know around Britain. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Lupin

• View Profile
    • Lurkerchan
« Reply #89 on: 06-04-2011, 12:04:08 »
Where are those Islands with the huge hills at? Doesn't look like anything I know around Britain. :)

Ha ha yeah, pretty much every multiplayer map has those goofy gigantic hills on them. The ai has a hard time navigating around them too. I've seen whole formations of bombers just plow into them one by one without even trying to climb away.

Thankfully some more realistic maps are on the way.