Author Topic: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad  (Read 86132 times)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S COMING! - Red Orchestra : Heroes of Stalingrad
« Reply #60 on: 04-09-2010, 19:09:14 »
Wow! Impressive graphics in the trailer... nice body movements of the soldiers. Hey, they ran like normal guys! They fall down as they are expected to do it... and wow, damn nice tanks!

FH3 as a stand alone would be nice... or if it was to use this sexy starting point.  8)

Well... let's not forgotten the hope.  ;)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #61 on: 04-09-2010, 20:09:29 »
Hey, they ran like normal guys!
Hey, that's what I thought!

Much more cinematic feel when you some different style of the running here and there

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #62 on: 04-09-2010, 20:09:16 »
I want this game - I need this game - I want this game - I need this game...

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #63 on: 04-09-2010, 22:09:28 »
I share your needs!
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 05-09-2010, 03:09:02 »
Welcome to my world of the last 2 years ...

It's just that not only does this game look good -- it's so feature rich that it actually has, even if only on paper, shattered all of my expectations.

Oh and don't forget it's SHIPPING with an expansion pack, which may or may not cost a little bit extra. The expansion, Rising Storm, is being made by a separate mod team that is working closely with the dev team.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #65 on: 05-09-2010, 03:09:25 »
I have to admit, I am very much stoked up for this.  Not enough for me to actually buy RO1 (I have the original v3.3mod and a medium opinion of it).  Really though, I just want to get my grubby mits on some Russian guns.

Best thing about that gameplay trailer was it showed the C96 and Nagant 1895 pistols <3.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 05-09-2010, 03:09:29 »
Best thing about that gameplay trailer was it showed the C96 and Nagant 1895 pistols <3.
Yes!! I loved those guns in the mod.

But honestly, RO1 is much different and mostly better in every way than the mod. There are few things that they changed that I didn't like to much, but in general the game is much improved.

If you ever did decide to buy it just wait til steam has a crazy sale again. Last time TWI's games went on sale on Steam, RO was like 3 dollars or something silly. At that kind of price you HAVE to buy it.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 05-09-2010, 08:09:04 »
I feel that FH2 is more fun than RO, but now I'm not sure about what if RO2 comes out!

Finally bot crews! hurray! No more stupid people screaming for "we need a reloader player".

pity that my laptop is too crappy for this I suppose, and I don't see that I'll be owning a PC in the near future... :(

now some of my opinions on FH2 vs RO

RO has many advantages over FH2, for infantry, better melee attacks, grenade cooking, weapon resting/deploying, flying limbs, leaning.... for tanks, they have more mechanical turret which prevents the tank from sniping enemy infantry.

Of course, RO was annoying in some aspects, for example, it is not comfortable to move the character around, rifles too difficult to use, tanking is difficult as you can't really communicate with the driver effectively like IRL as the commander.

In FH/FH2 your character might get stuck due to a piece of stupid wood or whatever, but generally I feel my control of the character is better.

Games like COD2 are nice as you don't need to mess with hopping over a fence whatever, I'd think this is very important in WW2 FPS games. I want to enjoy the gameplay/teamwork not trying to figure out how to get over that stone wall or going through that hole in the wall.
« Last Edit: 05-09-2010, 08:09:14 by General_Henry »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #68 on: 05-09-2010, 10:09:25 »
The only thing I didn't like with RO1 was the slow paced infantry game play which often worked but sometimes in intense situation could be really frustrating

But, as Hockeywarrior says. RO is still worth every penny.

I bought at the release for full price over Steam and I don't regret it and even today it's only like 9,99€

An awesome game and some really nice mods (Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum!)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 05-09-2010, 11:09:19 »
Lets just see if this game has the same destiny as its prequel did. RO was all ooh aah and the best thing in the world for *couple of weeks* and then it died flat on its arse...

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05-09-2010, 11:09:46 »
Lets just see if this game has the same destiny as its prequel did. RO was all ooh aah and the best thing in the world for *couple of weeks* and then it died flat on its arse...
You´re sure?
The original RO is still played allot these days. Just yesterday evening I played a bit and found 3 or 4 servers filled with 50 players each and some others filled with around 30.
It´s already a niché game but still has many players up to today. And let´s not forget that Steam and Tripwire still release free content and that especially DH is being played alot. Also every bonus Steam makes draws in more players.
RO1 is far from being dead, and I don´t expect RO2 to be dead after some weeks. Especially with the free content packs Tripwire is going to release after the initial release.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05-09-2010, 11:09:29 »
I dont care about player numbers themselfs but game mechanics and style. RO suffered from very clumsy feeling infantry combat and the tank combat was even more horrid. I loved the details but god, how fun is it that the tanker who is fastest to drive the IS-2 or Tiger to the high point of a map and starts dominating everything from there? Tank combat was nothing but sitting about and sniping, no epic rushes.

That is where the game died on me. After initial ooh-aah experience, it turned out not to be a fun game. And since I base this on my own opinion, yes I am bloody sure.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 05-09-2010, 12:09:26 »
It´s your oppinion and it´s alright that you don´t like it. As you said, "let´s wait and see".
RO isn´t everyone´s cup of tea and it´ll be the same case with RO2, too, but I feel that the folks who like the old RO won´t be disappointed by it.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05-09-2010, 22:09:16 »
Incredible feeling, I just wish they can use more players than 64. Also Im somewhat confused about the AI tank crew, I dont like the feeling that tankers can go lonewolf; even if the AI crew its vulnerable, the driver should be the most vulnerable crew member and the supply zones should respawn them really, really slowly. Also I praise the tank combat, and I wish I could see how greatly it works.

Time will tell...

Offline Hockeywarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 06-09-2010, 04:09:59 »
I dont care about player numbers themselfs but game mechanics and style. RO suffered from very clumsy feeling infantry combat and the tank combat was even more horrid. I loved the details but god, how fun is it that the tanker who is fastest to drive the IS-2 or Tiger to the high point of a map and starts dominating everything from there? Tank combat was nothing but sitting about and sniping, no epic rushes.

That is where the game died on me. After initial ooh-aah experience, it turned out not to be a fun game. And since I base this on my own opinion, yes I am bloody sure.
I honestly think your opinion is in the minority. IMO the biggest problem with RO1 was that it was brutal on noobs, and most people hated it when they first played it because they got owned by experienced players and some aspects of the gameplay came off as clunky. Then, if they got past that 2 week period of frustration, they loved or at least somewhat liked the game.

I thought the same thing back when I first tried the RO mod for UT2k3, but now when I play RO I honestly feel like I have just as much, if not MORE control, than any other game out there. When you really get familiar with the game mechanics, it plays very smoothly.

That said, it's still frustrating at times, and it can be very difficult to do simple tasks. But it looks like RO:HOS is going to improve on the previous game in everyway, and strive to make the game more accessible (in the RIGHT ways) without dumbing down the gameplay.