Author Topic: The Frostbite engine.  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: The Frostbite engine.
« Reply #15 on: 29-09-2009, 18:09:46 »
A PC port will suffer from the myriad of different PC set-ups out there

Bad Company 2 for the PC is not a port from the console game. It is originally produced for each platform, like all games dice do, they never port games. Battlefield:2:Modern Combat for example was made from scratch, it wasn't a port from the PC Bf2, it is a totally different game. (it's even a bit lol that it is called BF2, as there never was a BF1 for those consoles)  :D

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29-09-2009, 20:09:07 »
No official editor support doesn't neccesarily mean there won't be mods. We'll have to wait and see. The community may very well be able to make their own modtools, as was done for BF1942.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29-09-2009, 20:09:04 »
haha Kev,  ;D that's charmingly naive. No, without FrostEd, you cant make anything. How would we for example make FH2 without the BF Editor?  ;)

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29-09-2009, 20:09:01 »
haha Kev,  ;D that's charmingly naive. No, without FrostEd, you cant make anything. How would we for example make FH2 without the BF Editor?  ;)
Cracking? Bit nonlegal but possible, everything is just hard as hell. Well don't know so much about these things.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29-09-2009, 20:09:07 »
As other's said:

- Doesn't seem like ther will be an editor/mod support
- It's too early to see " all" positive and negative  effects of a move to a given engine
- Delays (porting ain't a 1 night job)
- Destructable enviroment is overrated IMHO.  I'd rather see double the amount of players per map and larger maps (10x10 km with 128 or 256 players? Rawrrr, Probably will be a dream for quite a while though till such an game engine shows up that meets all of FH's requirements.
- How about a stand alone engine (or engine lisence) so FH3 can be released independantly. That way it doesn't have to rely on the playercount of a given game and other related things.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29-09-2009, 22:09:53 »
i SEE what you mean, Donutz

Sure would be nice to have em built from scratch... but we know how that argument goes...

And like Natty said, there ARE some unforseen consequences that can't be catered for...

Bf2 lacked RANDOM since it was made for a war that the developers felt didn't need much random
BF2 macked engine-cease
BF2 was made heavy on PC resources - Till, now many stuanch FH fans STILL can't play it for that very reason
BF2 lacked Byonet with gunfire since, well, in modern warfare it was expected that byonets won't be used @ all....

And that's just BF2.. Imagine what BFBC won't HAVE

I do think it is a bit unfair though to conclude that BFBC sucked so it is a no-no

If you've played FH1, you naturally see things through tinted lenses... If you were there from the begining or @ aleast 0.6, you'd know how drastically different FH felt from BF.... And going back, you'd realise how arcade BF42 all was comparing

Now, FH3 if it was ever on the Frostbite engine for PC with extra addition for say, 64 players will rock... FACT

Its about changing values.. I know for a fact, the devs wont leave buildings to be brought down by grenades... In the same way they removed grenade damage to tanks or allowed tanks to pass partially immersed in water, where that was a quick-damage-death in vanilla

Sure, everything WILL be destructible in a tenatative FH3, but will require a hellish bombardment for that... It will definitely have more good than bad - Strategy for each map will have countless variants depending on which areas are leveled and which are still intact, one battle might be a street to street fight one day, a rat-war the next

But like Natty said, learning curve and a lack of any public announcement of mod support means its only a big what-if....

Sure, don't forget the intensely pretty graphics either... I guess its always the mod's curse to be a tad behind the graphic curve since they are built on an engine that is tried and tested...that is, well aged, usually

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30-09-2009, 00:09:22 »
when it comes out, and when they finally mod support it, we could use the Vrdun engine from the BF1918 guys are working on, but that may never happen, but if it does its a long way off.

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-09-2009, 12:09:20 »
IIRC Verdun team didn't develop their own engine, they picked an off-the-shelf one. so it should already be available.

My 2 cents about destructible environment: would help a lot to model tank combat and penetrations. Anyone who has played Men of War (not fully destructible, but a close emulation) knows what I'm talking about, tanks shouldn't be "safe" from AP shots behind a wooden wall or an halftrack wreck.

Plus, with destructible environment we can play Ortona and Stalingrad ;)

Anyway I agree, Frostbite will be extremely mod-unfriendly, so another engine should be considered if the devs plan to make some sort of FH3 - which shouldn't be taken as granted IMO.
game.utilities.printScriptTillItFuckingWorks() fan

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-09-2009, 20:09:53 »
Here's the dream: An engine that allows a fully destructible environment, 120 players per server, a fully functioning editor, low resource requirements, and easily allows us to port FH2 AAAND FH0.7 into it. By easy I mean the devs could do it in about 6 months or so.

Also, I want a pony...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-09-2009, 21:09:13 »
Here's the dream: An engine that allows a fully destructible environment, 120 players per server, a fully functioning editor, low resource requirements, and easily allows us to port FH2 AAAND FH0.7 into it. By easy I mean the devs could do it in about 6 months or so.

Also, I want a pony...

with wings and named Alfalfa

Offline Zulnex

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-10-2009, 16:10:51 »
As other's said:

- Doesn't seem like ther will be an editor/mod support
- It's too early to see " all" positive and negative  effects of a move to a given engine
- Delays (porting ain't a 1 night job)
- Destructable enviroment is overrated IMHO.  I'd rather see double the amount of players per map and larger maps (10x10 km with 128 or 256 players? Rawrrr, Probably will be a dream for quite a while though till such an game engine shows up that meets all of FH's requirements.
- How about a stand alone engine (or engine lisence) so FH3 can be released independantly. That way it doesn't have to rely on the playercount of a given game and other related things.
Your points are excellent - especially the last one. Why not a standalone engine/license? Hopefully the developers will chose this option for FH3.
« Last Edit: 04-10-2009, 16:10:11 by FH-fan »