Author Topic: Bot Infantry and vehicle AI in 2.25  (Read 7958 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Bot Infantry and vehicle AI in 2.25
« Reply #45 on: 10-02-2010, 18:02:53 »
Hey, I actually got a bot ot mount a deployable mortar kit, but you would cause a CTD if try to displace him, after all, you can't displace a player with a deployable kit ingame, so I can imagine this would enter a loophole in the game, since the piece/ gun should dissapear if the player/bot abandons it

Something the devs might want to take a look at

Bots don't use other deployables though... definitely not mgs

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11-02-2010, 11:02:33 »
Been loving the bots use of the mg34 kit and mortar. Held off a counter attack with one of my jerry bot mates on  deployed mortar kit in Luttich once he had capped Mortain.

and a mg34 killed my entire squad twice in the opening battle for Mortain. I had to fall back and we still took casualties. :-)

But here's the rub. Bots only fire mortar if the see a vehicle target. They don't see or care for infantry. Dawde should know about this to make modifications

And again, arty could definitely do with an elevated position. The mortar bots can't fire from behind a wall, which is the ideal place for mortar fire

EDIT:
Yes, I think if any inroads should be made into bots, it should be getting arty firing. LI think we've already surpassed the FH1 bots in most regards and like those bots, artillery firing would make up for their loss while any new improvements are being sought after

Elevated view point, if possible should go for all forms of arty, from mortars, to howitzers (rocket or shell artillery), to mobile artillery.

Alongside that, I think the big thing would be to fix the AI commander for all maps - A dev' problem, not a job for fan modders.
« Last Edit: 14-02-2010, 21:02:21 by djinn »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 11-03-2010, 19:03:18 »
I just had an AMAZING game in 2.25. My first as I was having problems installing. So (is this the place?) thanks to the FH bot coders for all their hard work so far. I really noticed it playing Fall of Tobruk  ;D.
« Last Edit: 11-03-2010, 19:03:10 by DJ Barney »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12-03-2010, 01:03:29 »
Fall of Tobruk is simply one of the best map out there. Even without the code modifications, they are fantastic already.

Need to try on more difficult maps like Sidi Rezegh or Operation Totalize.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 15-03-2010, 11:03:28 »
Hell, yer it is - Makes me feel like a real squad captain, moving from crater to crater with tank cover or surviving their weathering fire to hold the line (As Tommies)

And a navmeshing marvel considering the area. Probably the most complex map to navmesh, save for 'The Rainy-one'

Totalize is a helluva fun map too, even with only infantry - More so with Drawde's latest patch and murderous aircrafts firing HE and dropping bombs... Sadly it CTDs quite often -  'can't wait to see this one with tanks rolling

Sidi's cool too, but it plays best if you change the heavy British tanks to something like Crusers or more crusaders and then you get the historical equivalent with the British taking the entire space, holding off first and 2nd wave and finally being pushed back by overwhelming and superior panzer IVs and sneaky Panzer IIIs... Battlefield will change hands several times too - IF the Valentine and Matilda were taking out... Those things only work for gameplay if there are stukas on a map

SP in 2.25 is frankly the worst that came along with any release - too many bug issues hide the good additions like the genius of tanks not always firing on the move concealed by the bug that comes with it of them remaining stationary indefinitely... Thankfully, we have Drawde's minimod as a stopgap until the next patch... official or unofficial *cough, Winterhilf! cough*
« Last Edit: 15-03-2010, 11:03:28 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 25-03-2010, 10:03:53 »
I would say this for SP in Drawde's 1.1 patch. Whatever causes the Luttich map to CTD (And also in Beta Alam Halfa) as well as the reduced LOS of aircrafts and AA doesn't help. I'd suggest AA and plane code be reverted to 2.25's version... changing only the 88s ability to use the right shell kind and AA function as Anti-personnel. For the CTD however, i really hope we can identify it since it kills the only SP-supported normandy map that has armor and was stable...

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25-03-2010, 21:03:05 »
I really don't know what's causing the aircraft/AA LOS issue. I haven't made any changes to LOS for any game objects, in fact I'm not even sure it's possible to do so. It might be a typical case of BF2 AI randomness where one change alters something else totally unrelated; or maybe it's something to do with bombs working correctly and/or AA being able to fire at light vehicles.

The anti-tank rifles are another really odd thing - since a while ago (before which they were quite effective) bots seem unable to hit anything with these even at literally point-blank range. But I seem to be the only one with this issue, so it can't be due to any of my own modifications? (The only changes I made to the AT rifle data were the AI maximum range and target priority)

Have you (Djinn) modifed any of the .ai files in the FH2\AI directory? The current downloadable version of my minimod doesn't include any .ai files (and is intended to work with the default FH2.25 ones) so you may get some issues if the .ai files have been altered.

BTW I'm getting seriously sick of the Luttich CTD  >:(  - if it occurred during loading, or shortly after starting the game, it'd be fairly straightforward (if tedious) to fix by progressively removing modded files until the map worked. But since it CTDs anything from 10 to 45 minutes into the game, the cause is incredibly difficult to track down. The last couple of times it's happened have been after the vehicle I was in got hit by a bazooka/panzerschreck, but this is probably just coincidence.

I have managed to get bots to use the MG42 Lafette (disabled the "use no pathfinding" flag and set it to FixedGun so bots stayed on it) and bots defending West Mortain will often use it now.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 25-03-2010, 23:03:35 »
Pitty about the AA - Sorry I sounded like I was pointing an accusing finger, Drawde. You've already done so much for AI in FH2 since 2.25 - I was just going on the obvious conclusion

No, I haven't modified anything in my stock files. In fact, I had to reinstall FH2 recently and the only thing I added was the whizz from BF2 Vanilla. Bots fire and destroy light armor and I have seen them blow up a PzIV just today. They do miss often, but no more than zook or shrek at average firing distance and they have greatly increased range...

If the issue is with you alone as I haven't heard anything from CannonFodder, DJ Barney or Zoomotorpool, then its possibly just ill luck or you may have set AI difficulty lower than us... Try playing in COOP and set the AI difficulty to 80 or higher.

Before you made aircrafts fire their cannons again, I got the BF109 to fire bullets accurately enough to take out everyone in an APC and another time, to blow up a truck.. And that requires at least 3 - 4 good shots on target since trucks have wooden rear sections that don't take any damage... But this, only when I set AI difficulty to 100%...

Now I won't recommend testing on that level, but the default difficulty of 50% makes bots shamelessly inaccurate.

Perhaps for the Luttich issue we might all have to get involved. Let's post up some files to replace our stock Luttich objects file, each with a all vehicles removed but one (Each file with a different single vehicle ingame). With those with enough computer power, I will say set the bot count to something like 80 so we can speedup the simulation. Then play the level and see if it CTDs... We will clearly know what vehicle causes it in such a case.. But it will require all we SP enthusiasts. And fret not, Drawde - This one seems easier to spot than Goodwood's, which might be interraction with some corner of the map by a single bot and cannot be isolated in this fashion.

Here are some facts we do know about the Luttich CTD:
1/ According to some, it occurs when you go to the church base - I experienced this myself once and it seemed to much of a coincidence to be shrugged-off
2/ According to you (Drawde), it occurs when you are in a vehicle and got hit by a zook or faust.
3/ it occurs anything from 5 to 20 minutes ingame rather than during load or immediately the game starts, implying an action caused by either the player or a bot in the course of the battle.

Anyone want to prepare those replacement files for us to start this test?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26-03-2010, 18:03:49 »
Troubleshoot Luttich?

Jeezus djinn, you're keen aren't ya mate...haven't we got enough to do already?

;D

Don't mind me, just stirrin' ya... ;)

I haven't played FH since my last post about testing/removing AT guns in the "Headache formerly known as Goodwood". It was pissing me off too much, then I got sucked into Oblivion.

I've also been kinda hoping that 2.26 will come along and solve a few probs, if not provide a new SP map or two. Speaking of which...

I predict that FH 2.26 will be released on the 1st of April...but, just to fuck with us, the devs will post a dud DL link and they'll actually release it sometime during the following fortnight...

You heard it here first, folks... :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26-03-2010, 22:03:48 »
Well, it might sound double-standards of me, but I think I'm going to drop out of SP testing for a while - It was tough as it was already running on a 1GB AMD 2005 Sempron as it was, and now with it clear that my PC issues aren't over... Yea, I have 5B of DDR3 RAM, a sweet graphic card with 700+ RAM.. but my troubles haven't ended.

And I'm too sick and tired, waiting for 10months only to get this shit - I think I will just stop playing FH for a while - It depresses me knowing the experience I should have and getting lag-lag instead

sorry guys

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27-03-2010, 08:03:24 »
Don't want to get too OT, but it sounds to me like the new rig doesn't meet expectations? I sympathize...

I upgraded my good PC at Xmas and figured that going from a 2.4GHz dual-core CPU and 2GB of DDR RAM to a 3.0GHz dual-core and 2GB of DDR3 (1066 I think), together with my 9600GT, would let me run close to 64 lag-free bots...

No such luck...FPS started to drop with more than 48 (@max difficulty), only 17 more than I was running before the upgrade (31)... :(

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 27-03-2010, 17:03:54 »
I REALLY recommend going carefully through the guide at http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html ... I thought I had hardware issues (with Crysis for example), but I went through this and found that I had multiple windows issues slowing everything down. Suddenly I could run BF2 with full antialiasing and Crysis even ran OK. The guide IS NOT A SCAM OR MARKETING TRICK and is written by a guy with a lot of integrity. Please try it ! It would be sad to lose any of the few SP'ers here just for some simple system issues. Cheers.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27-03-2010, 22:03:32 »
Nothing to do with specs. My processor might'v fried with the former DOA board. So my chasing pc parts isnt over. besides being 1600 bucks already in dept, I dont just have the heart to keep playing a lagfest on the 1GB pc hoping the next time will really be it. And the forums keep that hope fresh... And i don't want to hope any longer.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27-03-2010, 22:03:30 »
Nothing to do with specs. My processor might'v fried with the former DOA board. So my chasing pc parts isnt over. besides being 1600 bucks already in dept, I dont just have the heart to keep playing a lagfest on the 1GB pc hoping the next time will really be it. And the forums keep that hope fresh... And i don't want to hope any longer.
But these are the "Forgotten Hope" forums

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 28-03-2010, 07:03:38 »
But these are the "Forgotten Hope" forums
LOL...that's classic... ;D