Author Topic: Scoring  (Read 1057 times)

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
Scoring
« on: 25-01-2012, 03:01:23 »
Let me start off with saying that the current scoring system is a great improvement over BF2 and overall pretty good.

However, I think some aspects may be optimized (if possible).
Some adjustments which come to my mind:

• Repair points should be given more/faster
    Currently it seems to take ages to get points for repairing, and we all know how important that function can be
  • Killing infantry with tanks should give less points
    It is very simple (much easier than killing inf with inf which gives same points) and by lowering the score it might deter score whores on maps like Ramelle 
  • Can squad leaders be awarded points for commanding or serving as spawn point?
  • Is there anyway to give points to spotters? This would really be helpful as it would motivate spotters (especially spotter planes) and spotting would improve gameplay

Just as some food for thought. What do you think?

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
Re: Scoring
« Reply #1 on: 25-01-2012, 03:01:15 »
I think arty spotters already get a point, don't they? If I spot a tank with my binocs and arty destroys it, I'm pretty sure I get rewarded for it.

Scoring in FH2 is still a bit of a mystery to me anyway. Is there a list of all the ways you can earn points (and lose them too) and how much you get?
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-01-2012, 04:01:21 »
It's not about artillery spotting, its about spotting in general (as in red icons on the map).
Which is imperative for good teamplay...

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-01-2012, 05:01:39 »
Simply painting an enemy with the binoc doesnt require much skill or time. Just spamming. A good spotter should be calling out locations while spotting for artillery, and receiving points for that. The artillery function is much more useful, and the one that should be promoted. I dont think the SL sitting and doing nothing is good to reward either.

I like the idea of lower tank vs infantry kills, but I think this is already implemented. If an infantryman kills a tank you get more points than the other way around. I think it's 4 points for infantry killing a tank. One of a tanks most important roles is to suppress enemy positions while friendly troops move up. Problems arise when no troops are waiting to move up when the tank is engaged, so it seemingly sits there camping...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25-01-2012, 05:01:58 »
I'd be a fan of anyone who presses any 'enemy _________ spotted!' button on the commo rose more than three times in a thirty-second span recieving -5 points for every time pressed. Every single map there is always at least one person spamming the radio. ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED! ENEMY UNIT SPOTTED!.

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-01-2012, 10:01:53 »
Do SLs get points if their squad member cap/neutralize a cap zone? If not, they should cos most of the time SL is just a tiny bit out side the cap zone functioning as a spawn point and can't really take part of the action itself cos it is quite vital for the success of the attack that the SL stays alive and hidden.

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-01-2012, 12:01:17 »
Simply painting an enemy with the binoc doesnt require much skill or time. Just spamming. A good spotter should be calling out locations while spotting for artillery, and receiving points for that. The artillery function is much more useful, and the one that should be promoted.

Here I must disagree strongly. Spotting is not only important for artillery. It is vital in tank vs. tank combat. As tanker it is really important to know where enemy tanks are.
Artillery is usesless against (moving) tanks. Ideally as tanker I would have loads of red marks on my map knowing exactly where the enemy is (and the shouting "enemy spotted" is the smallest problem). If someone currently spots enemy tanks and I kill the tanks with my tank or at cannon, the spotter is NOT rewarded, while he was helping very much. Do you get the point know? Also it would encourage usage of recon planes which are really helpful, yet not much used.

I like the idea of lower tank vs infantry kills, but I think this is already implemented. If an infantryman kills a tank you get more points than the other way around. I think it's 4 points for infantry killing a tank. One of a tanks most important roles is to suppress enemy positions while friendly troops move up. Problems arise when no troops are waiting to move up when the tank is engaged, so it seemingly sits there camping...

I am affraid you did not get my point fully.
Yes of course an inf killing a tank is rewarded more (points go up to 6 (or 7?) for killing heavies), but that was not the point. Inf killing inf gets 1 point currently (except for killing SLs), tanks killing inf also get 1 point. Now tanks killing inf is much easier than inf killing inf (in general). In order to discourage camping on maps like Ramelle, how about only giving relatively less points for tankers (e.g. 1/3 point or relatively increase other scores)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25-01-2012, 12:01:21 »
I think that spotting enemies should not give points or if they did, enemy unit spotted text/sounds should be removed. Recon plane on the other hand should definetly give points if someone kills enemy while it is inside radar. Recon plane on lebisey can win the battle for axis, but no one ever uses it.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-01-2012, 13:01:17 »
I'd alter that.

Give big points for kills IN radar,
Give small point for kills soon after radar passes. sometimes, it takes time to kill the spotted. But scores should be given for that too.

I would actually want to see points for enemy vehicle spotted. Just make it a single call out and then silent spotting thereafter. Same goes for ALL radio overs.l

I would even say give points for people who throw smoke resulting an objective capture. This would mean, if the flag is capped sometime after a person close to it throws smoke, then it can be assumed the smoke aided in the flag capture. And maybe even for enemies killed close by.

I  feel sad that I do something so tactical like providing smoke to blind a tank, blind infantry in a house or bunker or blind an mg so my boys with smgs can charge in and finish the job and there is no recognition for it.

i understand its delicate to score properly, but it is as important as a kill imo.

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-01-2012, 14:01:52 »
OOOOhhh On the first point I didnt really understand you meant points were awarded after destruction/killing of the target. I didnt really think that through and pictured points getting rewarded just for painting the target. My bad. This setup sounds pretty balanced actually, and if people are encouraged to have there glasses out for target points they may end up spotting for arty more often. I support it.

On the second point I assumed that there is no way to award fractional points, so I brought up that the current system has been scaled up to take into account more difficult/useful kills. Perhaps it should be scaled a step further so tank vs infantry kills are 1 point, infantry vs infantry 3 points, infantry vs tank 12-15, etc. Multiply by three so the ratios are the same, but tanks get rewarded a bit less. Maybe they could slowly get points for advancing with infantry? Probably wouldnt help teamplay that much but you never know.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-01-2012, 15:01:31 »
    Currently it seems to take ages to get points for repairing, and we all know how important that function can be
Sadly, repair points are hardcoded and cannot be changed. We were trying to work around this problem a while ago, but I don't know the status of this project currently. Needless to say, it's not a simple matter of changing a single variable.

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-01-2012, 17:01:43 »
On the second point I assumed that there is no way to award fractional points, so I brought up that the current system has been scaled up to take into account more difficult/useful kills. Perhaps it should be scaled a step further so tank vs infantry kills are 1 point, infantry vs infantry 3 points, infantry vs tank 12-15, etc. Multiply by three so the ratios are the same, but tanks get rewarded a bit less. Maybe they could slowly get points for advancing with infantry? Probably wouldnt help teamplay that much but you never know.

well offcourse if you cant do fractions then you just multiply. the ratio is the important thing. exactly as you write if killing inf with tank is 1, then killing inf with inf should be 3 or so.. that was my point.
it not the absolute value, its the relative value that is important!
so we agree on this one  :)

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-01-2012, 17:01:36 »
Sadly, repair points are hardcoded and cannot be changed. We were trying to work around this problem a while ago, but I don't know the status of this project currently. Needless to say, it's not a simple matter of changing a single variable.

oh! didn't know that. what a shame..
but great that you were of this issue. hope you can solve it!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-01-2012, 19:01:30 »
I'm always a bit surprised how good the scores of the arty and mortar guys are. Is this done as an incentive? I don't know this for a fact but I'd assume 95% of players would consider doing that job boring, and the other 5% love it the most.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-01-2012, 21:01:19 »
On repair points: you only get points repairing a friendly object. Repairing the 88 on El Al as a Brit will never give you any repair points, so that might make iit feel a long time before getting points too.

On spotting points: I agree that spotting enemies is really important, most tankers and pilots can do their jobs well because of infantry spotting on the ground. Giving them points has my support. The spamming is a problem indeed, there is already some sort of a spamblocker, but maybe it should be made harsher.