Author Topic: Tank sights  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
Re: Tank sights
« Reply #30 on: 10-02-2012, 09:02:59 »

But what about the Panzer IVD and F1 Version? They are nearly useless against tanks, although they still able to penetrate most armor on africa maps. Even on range.
Would be nice to get a little boosts of this tanks.

Those were infantry support tanks. The short, low velocity 75 mm L/24 gun was designed to fire HE shells. For self defence, they also carried HEAT shells to use against enemy armour.

Thats a known fact to me, but I wasnt talking about historical accuracy. My point is, that those tanks are still able to penetrate and fight enemy tanks. Look for example at the tank layout on Gazala or sidi rezegh. you find easily 2 (or 3?) PZ4F1. Those are still able to fight even the grants, while offering a good protection on both maps. A lot of fire power is just wasted, because you cant put them in use on that maps. I am not asking for a higher muzzle velocity (= more plane flying curve, not more penetration), but at least a little better tank sights with some more hints, where to aim on long (and for this tanks even medium) range, would be of course a little historical inaccurate, but if it would require to much work to make the German sights adjustable, this would be the easiest solution.

This issue applys of course to more than just these tanks, but they are still the most notable examples.
Wouldnt the PZ4 with the L24 also becoming more usefull in its infantry support role on medium range, because the HE-Shells fly in an even more curved path, compared to the AP.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10-02-2012, 10:02:07 »
I think I still haven't seen a straight answer from the devs if making the axis (and some allied) sights to work like in RL is possible for FH2. If it is possible, is it perhaps too much work, or just general lack of interest to improve the current system or perhaps some other reason. And if not, is there any plans to make substitute systems perhaps?

And interestingly in this topic the general consensus is almost totally the opposite compared to the general HUD stripping thread. Now catering for the new players is shunted and even I am suggesting adding stuff to the screen, albeit not artificial HUD indicator ala hit-cross/crosshair per se but incorporated element to the actual sights. Though I primarily would like to see the sight work like they do in other games, and in RL and if that is not possible, only then resort to work-arounds.

On a general note, why is there no huge (and I mean really huge maps) with removed ground foliage and simplified/less structures/objects so that larger VD would be possible and more tanks. Just to provide large distance tank battles, a bit like in DH/RO1/RO2?
So like Operation Totalize without grass, larger map and almost totally empty houses etc...? Is there no interest for large scale almost-only-tank-battles?

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10-02-2012, 12:02:02 »
So like Operation Totalize without grass, larger map and almost totally empty houses etc...? Is there no interest for large scale almost-only-tank-battles?

I guess maybe because nothing will happen at all in a map like that. People would just stay on opposite side of the map and blast away at each other. Plus, everybody would have to have a tank (for those without one the map would be boring as hell) and I'm pretty sure the BF2 engine can't handle 64 tanks at a time.

See how Totalize ends most of the time: tanks dug in on both side of the river being too careful, nobody dares/wants to cross, only a handfull of more and more frustrated infantry players try to get the game going. Now imagine that on a map without any cover.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10-02-2012, 12:02:28 »

I guess maybe because nothing will happen at all in a map like that. People would just stay on opposite side of the map and blast away at each other. Plus, everybody would have to have a tank (for those without one the map would be boring as hell) and I'm pretty sure the BF2 engine can't handle 64 tanks at a time.

See how Totalize ends most of the time: tanks dug in on both side of the river being too careful, nobody dares/wants to cross, only a handfull of more and more frustrated infantry players try to get the game going. Now imagine that on a map without any cover.

You understood me a bit wrong. Idea is not to remove hedges, trees etc. Just remove the little details of house furniture and the grass foliage etc. just so that you can increase the VD. And Totalize was just an example, perhaps some other maps, the like from PR, that are huge would suit more for this purpose.

Anyway, at least in RO1 and DH there seems to be demand for these kind of "tank maps" because there are specific servers dedicated for them, and several clans that solely concentrate on tanks. FH2 could tap in to this audience perhaps.

Not everyone needs to have a tank in these maps though. Inf would still have a big role in clearing out housing areas and digging in to hold vital positions. Consider these maps as large scale combined arm battles with heavy emphasize on tanks. The reason I brought up Totalize was cos it is so far closest to this idea from DH that I am chasing here. Anyway, i am now totally derailing this topic... :-/

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10-02-2012, 13:02:52 »
But the "small house details" are what makes FH 2 feel so special... It creates the atmosphere that no other game offers... It's part of it's identity now, you can't just remove that...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10-02-2012, 13:02:09 »
Now I am not sure if u r trolling or not :)

Seriously, sacrificing little of other aspects to create more variety for tank appreciating players and possibly to draw more players to the game can't be that bad of thing. It almost feels that you just want to oppose for the sake of opposing.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10-02-2012, 15:02:42 »
Now I am not sure if u r trolling or not :)

Seriously, sacrificing little of other aspects to create more variety for tank appreciating players and possibly to draw more players to the game can't be that bad of thing. It almost feels that you just want to oppose for the sake of opposing.

Yeah maybe you're right it's kinda a part of my character  :P... But I'm not trolling on this one, I really love the effort devs put into the maps... In vanilla 42/FH 1/Even Vanilla Bf2 maps always felt "empty"... It looked like the statics were put there just for the sake of putting something, so it doesn't look completely empty.

Now in FH 2 every small static tells a story... The radio that entertains the soldiers in the barracks on long days of guard duty... The easy chairs on the Mediterranean shores of Greece... The bottles of French wine in the local cafe... The propaganda posters on walls that call men to enlist or warn against spies... They all create something special and make the game more believable...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...