Author Topic: Forgotten Hope News Update: 20th August 2009: Total War  (Read 31956 times)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope News Update: 20th August 2009: Total War
« Reply #75 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:00 »
very well done guys look really really nice thank good u havent done the small american thing and realised and done omaha it sucks every mod does it but i do like it that there are more uk and commonwealth maps even though it is one more historically the UK and commonwealth forces had to fight more in normandy to allow the Yanks to breakthrough. And a good balance of tanks on the map i mean a normal sherman and cromwell will ahve no chance agaisnt panthers and tigers from the front hell that be hard.

Is it one shot from the panthers to kill the sherman or is it 2 just wondering

Panthers will be able to destroy the sherman with one shot, regardless of where. The allies may have smaller guns and thinner armour, however the cromwell for example can use speed to its advantage and can easily outflank the tigers and panthers.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:48 »
Awesome.  Congrats to Joe.

Question:  Does the terrain "borrowed" from DICE fit the actual terrain of the battle?  Or does this map suffer a small bit from not being totally accurate (as opposed to say, Giarabub, where you can see the parallels of the map with period photos)?  Not that it matters, I'm positive no one will complain about because it doesn't look a thing like a BF2 map and the gameplay is sure to outclass anything that DICE could ever produce (not to mention its the only plane map in 2.2 :)).

I don't care anymore.  Yay almost release!  Is it too presumptuous to ask what is holding up the release?   Coding, new vehicles, new statics, promo material, testing?  Or do you not want to tell us, because the release is next week?  Yea yea, a little too optimistic, I know.  BTW, September Fourth would be an awesome release day.  It's a Friday, and it's my birthday.  Best Birthday present ever?  Maybe.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:13 »
the battle on totalize are very dynamic
allies start with full force and clash the first few flags with it
only thing to hold them off are AT guns infatry and the 2 tank destroyers
the rest of the german tanks either has to drive long way to the front (typhoons are likely to catch them unless the FW190 cover them )or spawns with a delay giving the allies a chance to gain a foothold for further advances.  
then usually you get the big german counter attack with the big cats blowing away most stuff but then get ambushed by infantry, firelfy/achilles or the usual typhoons (those things are areal pain in the ass for the german tankers.(remember breakthrough in fh 0.7 ;))

however communication (even if it is just spotting tanks on the minimap) is key for the air support and air denial (spotting the typhoons so the  FW190 can take them out)

thus you get a nice back and forth until one side runs out of tickets.

I think you mean that when the Germans are driving up, the Canadians should be taking some flags and laying in ambush already.

A firefly in ambush should be really nasty I guess.

Offline BUNNY

• Crapping in your foxhole
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:34 »
Beautifull as hell!!!
I'll start agitating my workmates with these screenies.

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:53 »
Awesome.  Congrats to Joe.

Question:  Does the terrain "borrowed" from DICE fit the actual terrain of the battle?

I never make maps of actual terrain, the size of the worlds in bf2 is simply to small, for me its more important to get the "feel" of the battle. Vehicle layouts, kits, soldier skins and attacking directions are always based on the real battles tough.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #80 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:20 »
The river is the biggest inaccuracy I believe.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:43 »
You people worry too much about the bloody balance. Germans wont have big kittens to play around with from the start of the map and even if they do, they arent overpowered as there are zoo-keeping typhoons, achilles and fireflies to keep them at bay. As long as the Luftwaffe and Wirbelwind does their job properly, then the Tiger is a real threat.

I understand some of the people here too. At first I didnt like the sound nor look of the idea of using a DICE heightmap and each time I looked at the OLD minimap it reminded me ugly vanilla stuff, but nowadays it doesnt as Fenring and Toddel made great job with the map. It might borrow a heightmap but it is more FH2 feeling than BF2. It is one of my favorite maps.
« Last Edit: 21-08-2009, 12:08:49 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:02 »

There are countless rivers in this area..

Fenring took a great design decision using this terrain as base for the map (which he also edited alot), and when we do maps that presents an "Operation" like Lüttich, Goodwood, Totalize or similar, we don't aim for 1:1 actual locations. (as operations are bigger than secluded scenarios like Pointe de Hoc) This map is perfect for this Operation. :)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 21-08-2009, 12:08:39 »
I'm sure it is.  It's just in my nature to nitpick about stuff I like.

Like I said, I'm sure the map is awesome and plays great.

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 21-08-2009, 13:08:10 »
Totalize is one of my favorite maps, it's very balanced and the lookout is perfect. The Typhoons are a bit annoying for the german tankers but it's fun to drive a Panther or a Tiger and kill some enemys.
It's perfect for everybody, you can fight as infantry in the trenches, going for some ambushes against the tanks with your AT weapons, fly with the planes and destroy the tanks, drive around with a tank and kill other tanks. Just perfect, the public players will love that map like I'm doing it.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #85 on: 21-08-2009, 13:08:11 »
Woooohooo!! Oyeah!  This will be epic!!

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Maxa

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 21-08-2009, 13:08:55 »
Things are looking really good. I can't wait... to park my kitten under a tree and try shooting down ze planes

And those trees near the river look awesome

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 21-08-2009, 13:08:33 »
Again, lovely map... I can just imagine the epic battle unfolding with tanks racing across that countryside and all hell suddenly breaking loose...

To pu Ionizer's question diffenrently, with all maps done, and perhaps all needed hardware and armies, is there any more between us and the release - Or are we left with simply the time for cleanup and packaging?

* Although not forthrightly stated, I can imagine a good number of maps waiting in queue and hence a quick version 2.21 or 2.25 soon after release of 2.2

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 21-08-2009, 13:08:36 »

The river is the biggest plus point of this map. You boys can shoot each other to crap for all I care, I'm going swimming !!!

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #89 on: 21-08-2009, 13:08:43 »
They where talking about historical inaccuracies, I believe there was no river in the middle of the battlegrounds of Totalize.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."