6 (11.1%)
Pegasus Bridge
16 (29.6%)
Sammatus
10 (18.5%)
Seelow Heights
16 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: What is your favourite new map and how can we improve them?  (Read 10622 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favourite new map and how can we improve them?
« Reply #15 on: 06-03-2016, 04:03:27 »
Kinda weird that Sammatus is so well liked, considering it is an infantry map.

I find it kinda strange considering the complaints I see about it on the server. It's a grinder for sure. I personally enjoy it because I get to play with new equipment no matter which side I'm on.

I voted for Pegasus. (which is kinda moot because I've never actually played it on a server :P) But the attention to detail on that map is so amazing. I'm a sucker for accuracy  ;)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06-03-2016, 09:03:49 »
IMO this poll is very difficult, and even though I understand it's purpose, I was hoping to see a poll about your favourite map in 2.5 with a complete list of all 45 maps FH2 has, so I will be able to pick more than one Eastern Front map.

I chose Dukla Pass, even if it has some disadvantages like lack of cover, and forward spawns for allied intantry, but I had few great games on it, and that definitely had impact on my decision. Also, that map is going to be fixed in favour for Russian infantry and armour, and that will only make this map better.

My second favourite is Arad, together with Sammatus, both maps look and play fantastic in my opinion, even if they are completely different. I must admit that I'm surprised Arad is not very popular among players, before the release I thought it gonna be one of the best maps, since it has really balanced layout and lots of different types of armour available (vehicle layout is not that much balanced though). I've seen the progress on this map, testing it from the very beginning, and I'm amazed by the ammount and results of hitmaker's work on this map. Maybe with some balance tweaks in the vehicle layout it will be a bit easier for Germans and play better.

Sammatus is just epic, a bit too small IMO, but gameplay is insane, due to the equipment soldiers have on this map. Suomis vs. PPShs fights in the trenches are awesome and after months of testing in pre 2.5 era, I simply couldn't wait to see this one on a full public server. It didn't dissapoint me. ;D

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06-03-2016, 11:03:08 »
Sammatus works well. It is an infantry grinder, for sure, but it is designed like that. I think after a few weeks the russians have learned, where to push through, so fighting takes place in the trenches and forrest soon. Dont change anything, it works. Maybe a mortar for russians? But no 120 mm for sure.

Pegasus hits you with nostalgia, but doesnt work too well. Very chaotic with the numerous advances the germans have. Difficult map. Biggest problem - in my opinion is the way the push works. In theory germans could concemtrate everything in the north and just capture both bridges, without ever fighting in the south. How about Horsa bridge is only open, when the south is captured or something like that? So fighting on both sides is necessary. BTW: whats the purpose of the number of tickets?

Arad is just a plain, good old bf1942/fh map. Some memorable and different flags, but nothing special. Just keep it like it. Infantry and tank fighting is fun.

Seelow works also well in my opinion. It is not designed for the allies to win easily, but to really fight your way up to the city. What the map maybe needs is a little more cover for inf in the first sector. Or a little more transport maybe.

Dukla. I really love dukla, the natural flow of the terrain, the flags, nice. But what it could need is not more tanks in my opinion, but some more cover for soviet infantry. This not only applies for the advance to schoolhouse, but also for the advance through the forrest in the south. Here some logs, treestumps and stones will work wonders. Maybe a few sanddag emplacements or some trenches for germans, would also help them. The german spawns at the creek at the farm in the south are shit. Germans spawn in the advance of soviet infantry.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06-03-2016, 11:03:29 »
BTW: whats the purpose of the number of tickets?
Huge number of tickets with a constant bleed on a German side is there to limit the maximum time the round can drag to 45 minutes, I think (I'm don't remember the exact numbers and ticket bleed speed). With German casualties it obviously doesn't last that long. On the British side it's to prevent Brits from being out killed and let them focus on the defense without worrying their tickets can be reduced to zero in any other way than brigdes being captured.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06-03-2016, 11:03:14 »
@Jan: This I figured myself. But 2000 tickets doenst feel right compared to other full cap maps. Here, for better understanding to gamers with less insight in map design parameters and for consistency I would suggest make it 1000 (like on Omaha for example) and adjust the bleed accordingly.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06-03-2016, 11:03:37 »
I voted for Arad. The environment is just beautiful and the map is very well balanced except northernmost flag. It is a meat grinder for infantry due to the tanks circling around the farm and raping the spawnpoints inside the buildings. Otherwise, I love it in every aspect.

Another map I would like to suggest some stuff is Sammatus. The battle usually concentrates between the Soviet main and the first Finnish defensive lines (the trenches). The Finnish defenses are too hard to break, which usually ends up in the whole map being played around the trenches, while the potential battles deep in the woods never happen. Maybe a mortar for the Russians or more armor could solve this problem.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06-03-2016, 11:03:00 »
Maybe a mortar for the Russians or more armor could solve this problem.
AFAIK Russian will get additional armor, mortar and some AT rifles to fight finnish T-20's, and Finns will get some handheld weapons to fight armor more efficiently, in the upcoming patch, which will also add more hardcover for infantry on Dukla Pass. Devs are still collecting your feedback and changes are still WIP so don't count on me on that, but you can expect some tweaks and fixes to balance issues on new maps (and other regular bug fixes) in a rather near future, hopefully! ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06-03-2016, 14:03:51 »
Yeah the plan right now for Sammatus is another T34 for the russians, a mortar, 2 AT rifles. The Finns get a Panzerschreck in their mainbase so it is harder to trap them in there.

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06-03-2016, 16:03:57 »
Pegasus bridge all the way, actually best map of the mod.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06-03-2016, 18:03:06 »
Maybe a mortar for the Russians or more armor could solve this problem.
AFAIK Russian will get additional armor, mortar and some AT rifles to fight finnish T-20's, and Finns will get some handheld weapons to fight armor more efficiently, in the upcoming patch, which will also add more hardcover for infantry on Dukla Pass. Devs are still collecting your feedback and changes are still WIP so don't count on me on that, but you can expect some tweaks and fixes to balance issues on new maps (and other regular bug fixes) in a rather near future, hopefully! ;)

Yeah the plan right now for Sammatus is another T34 for the russians, a mortar, 2 AT rifles. The Finns get a Panzerschreck in their mainbase so it is harder to trap them in there.

Those are great to hear. Thanks devs!

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11-03-2016, 13:03:42 »
Pegasus still leading? Guess nobody likes the Russians and we shouldn't make more of those?  ;D

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-03-2016, 13:03:11 »
Voted for Arad, but also loving Dukla, Seelow.

Arad and Dukla both looks, feels nice. No further feedback on these since the devs are already tweaking some balance factors.

Regarding Ostfront - I'd love to see a map based upon the "Battle of Târgu Frumos", where Tiger Is of Großdeutschland knocked out a good number of IS-2s at 1,200 to 1,500 meters (erhm!)... that or Köningsberg.
« Last Edit: 11-03-2016, 13:03:33 by nysä »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11-03-2016, 13:03:18 »
Pegasus still leading? Guess nobody likes the Russians and we shouldn't make more of those?  ;D

Now you can concentrate the manpower on getting Eglise done (and any other potential para maps) ;D

Offline Not So Civil Engy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-03-2016, 14:03:44 »
Pegasus all the way. I find it to be a dynamic/well done map.

I've figured out a niche for myself on Sammatus, so I enjoy it more, but it is still my least favorite new map.  The new proposed updates will make a big difference.

I also love playing Seelow because it reminds me of the FH1 Seelow.  It is a hard map to be sure, but the epic struggle through its chaos makes it extremely fun.

Someone mentioned tickets, and I have to say that in FH2 in general, the tickets confuse me.  Some large maps like El AL have like 500 tickets, while others have 2000. Is this a server setting issue?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-03-2016, 14:03:52 »
Tickets vary between maps, because bleed is variable.
El Alamein has 500 tickets per side, and each side bleeds 20 tickets per minute, so if one side has the bleed it would take 25 minutes to bleed out (not counting kills). My guess is that this was made to make the bleed more powerful on a map where a stalemate is possible and it is hard to get the enemy bleeding.

Omaha Beach on the other hand has 1500 tickets, but only a 15 ticket bleed for the Americans. This however is offset by the huge amount of tickets they lose to kills on the beach (compared to El Alamein, for instance).