Poll

How do you feel about the artillery currently in game?

I don't mind getting killed by it at all, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
It is (a bit too) powerful, but i can live with it.
Sometimes I get frustrated, it kills me too often!

Author Topic: Artillery effectiveness  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
Re: Artillery effectiveness
« Reply #15 on: 08-05-2012, 12:05:26 »
According to my stats I was killed 14 times by artillery, compared to 778 times by rifle. So in conclusion, I don't think it has that big of an effect.
Pretty sure that that means you have been killed 14 times while using arty (and not that arty has killed you 14 times).

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-05-2012, 12:05:11 »
No, then the number would be a lot smaller. I'm 99% sure that that statistic shows what you have been killed by.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-05-2012, 12:05:40 »
I have definately been killed more often than 5 times by artillery ;D

Or it's, as I implied, only the commander artillery ?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08-05-2012, 13:05:00 »
The beauty of arty is,

Its random, as it should be. there is only so much to do when it comes in, and you don't know when it will come in

BUT
We are blessed to have feedback for mortar and howitzer, so you can hear it for  a sec before it comes.

ALSO,
there are 2 ways to deal with it,
Hide, Avoid or move like you have a purpose

OR
Kill the spotter.

MOST
arty gunners or mortar men don't fire blind unless they are at point blank range. So you can almost always stop arty when you realize its zeroed in on an area. Simply Kill that spotter.

BONUS
You might also be taking out a squad spawn in doing so, since I think, more spotters are SL than scouts.
And a good percentage of non-SL sppotters are snipers - Also a great threat to nutralize.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-05-2012, 16:05:39 »
According to my stats I was killed 14 times by artillery, compared to 778 times by rifle. So in conclusion, I don't think it has that big of an effect.
Again, could some dev clarify how should we read those stats. I'm again pretty sure you have died 14 times in artillery, not by artillery.

My 58 deaths by arty don't really make sense with total of almost 13 000 deaths.

(I think we had this same discussion earlier :P)

Edit: hmm, didn't read second page of this topic, ohwell 2-1  ;D
« Last Edit: 08-05-2012, 16:05:45 by ajappat »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-05-2012, 17:05:29 »
Hehe, interesting to read. Anyone of you have ever been on the recieving end of Sykris' mortar? This guy doesn't need a spotter. You can sit in a PAK and this guys just reads the death message and kills you within few seconds by taking a single cloud or what ever as orientation. On Brest it is indeed very annoying and I would make it spawnable only once and remove the ammo crates in the Allied mainbase. Brest is too chokepointish for the mortar.

On all other maps I am fine with it. Had a awesome round on Bastogne yesterday while defending the church at Wardin under constant arty fire. Damn, my screen was just shaking the whole round  ;D

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-05-2012, 17:05:04 »
Pixel-aimers for shame. If you are gonna arty, do it properly and dont be a lamo.

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-05-2012, 17:05:35 »
Hehe, interesting to read. Anyone of you have ever been on the recieving end of Sykris' mortar? This guy doesn't need a spotter. You can sit in a PAK and this guys just reads the death message and kills you within few seconds by taking a single cloud or what ever as orientation. On Brest it is indeed very annoying and I would make it spawnable only once and remove the ammo crates in the Allied mainbase. Brest is too chokepointish for the mortar.

On all other maps I am fine with it. Had a awesome round on Bastogne yesterday while defending the church at Wardin under constant arty fire. Damn, my screen was just shaking the whole round  ;D

I've seen Sirkrys push 180 kills on Brest just with the mortar in the US main.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-05-2012, 17:05:30 »
I'd just punish mortar team kill with -8 instead of -4. So those guys have to be careful not shooting the own units, have to use it more tactically and got to watch the minimap
Worst idea ever. You have a problem with the mortar on one map and you want it to be solved globally?

Also, don't forget that many TKs by arty are done because the mortarman fires and then the friendlies swarm the target. And now you want to punish him extra?

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-05-2012, 18:05:37 »
Don't think you should tk punish anyone that didn't do it, clearly and demonstrably, on purpose. tk punish is a lot of what's wrong with FH2 online.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline [QPS]_Sex_Bomb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-05-2012, 18:05:24 »
Leave arty as it is.

Arty take many hours of practice to be mastered.  It take almost as many time to become a good spotter. When adequate spotters and arty meets on battlefield, only then arty could become an effective weapon.   On some maps, planes are very frustrating, but I never complain about them.  Instead, i try to do my best to avoid them.  Arty, planes, tanks, ATguns, etc. are all part of the game and this diversity is what make FH(2) so unique.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-05-2012, 18:05:06 »
I'd just punish mortar team kill with -8 instead of -4. So those guys have to be careful not shooting the own units, have to use it more tactically and got to watch the minimap
Worst idea ever. You have a problem with the mortar on one map and you want it to be solved globally?

Also, don't forget that many TKs by arty are done because the mortarman fires and then the friendlies swarm the target. And now you want to punish him extra?

Well, did not mean that really seriously.I just think something about the mortar has to be changed on Brest and this was the first thing that came to my mind, but I agree, it's stupid to make it general and introducing that on Brest only does not make sense.

I do not like the fact that a teamkill does not matter to their score and for them personally, because they are going to make so many kills on Brest.

Imo it's not the right way to have artillery that does not have to care about own infantry and additionally blocks any fluent gameplay on this map. It's just sad and I stick with my opinion that a lot of mortar guys team kill you and others often but still have an utopic score. To me, it's stupid and those guys at the mortar should have to think more about what they are shooting at.

That's a part of realism too, but nobody thinks/cares about it. Something has to be changed about mortars on this map imo.

Offline Wakain

• Why no Italian bias?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-05-2012, 18:05:35 »
when playing as arty you'll see that it's not just pushing a button but actually requires some skill, luck and some good spotters. Sure, it can be frustrating if the enemy has a good gunner/spotter tandem, and there are some hotspots you find yourself in repeatedly. Learn to anticipate attractive arty targets and take another route to your goal if needed. Get the hell out of the hotzone when the first shell falls, most of the time it's just bad luck on your end.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08-05-2012, 21:05:34 »
My 2 cents: don't change anything with the arty. Except maybe give the US on Brest a fixed mortar which is just out of reach of the german main base so the germans have a more even chance to break out. That part of that battle is just annoying, even if you're on the winning US side.

But maybe a fixed mortar hasn't got range enough to reach anything but Plaza and HQ flags.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-05-2012, 21:05:57 »
im still waiting for the day that some squad on brest realizes that they can act as a mortar battery and then rain down shells from 5 mortars
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.