Author Topic: Fences and little stone walls.. Hedgerows  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fences and little stone walls.. Hedgerows
« Reply #15 on: 03-11-2009, 19:11:08 »

But anyway perhaps Toddel might whip out some awesome new walls for the mappers to replace the old ones. They'd do some damage to tanks in order to prevent jeeps and trucks from braking through them, but I guess a tanker who wants to go across that wall would still take a broken track into account ingame as in RL.

omg no! the walls are perfect ::)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03-11-2009, 19:11:35 »
Natty, someone will label you as a bloddy stalinist mapper

/runs to the barricades

you just did  ;D :D ;D

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03-11-2009, 19:11:29 »
LOL!

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #18 on: 03-11-2009, 19:11:55 »
And we all know that a stalinist mappers worst enemy is the grammer (and spelling) nazi.

Offline Twonkle

• Leave Britney alone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-11-2009, 19:11:41 »
Reporter just explained you its for gameplay reasons, ofc its annoying to get stuck behind those tiny broken walls(i k now what your talking about) but apparantly you cant enter those places for a reason. A good example is the first flag on Totalize(factory or something) there are 3 broken walls there you cant enter with your tank and i think thats just fine, gives the infantry a little more time.

Thing is, you can. you just have to get in from the right side.

// aka [F|H]Strilo on pubbie servers.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03-11-2009, 20:11:01 »
And we all know that a stalinist mappers worst enemy is the grammer (and spelling) nazi.
Are you setting a trap or are you just easy bait?

As for walls: One one side various mapping aspects like water, buildings, fences and walls are obstacles which can control/influence the flow of gameplay. On the other hand, their implementation also has to do with the suspension of disbelief. If people for whatever start to question the "game logic" behind a certain aspect the suspension of disbelief is threatend.

Walls are one one hand an easy/simple thing to block a path off, on the other hand it sometimes doesn't make sense. Same with say, rivers/water, in many games you can either not cross the water at all, or if you can the change is often huge as there are few limintations: soldiers can swim across and are ready to fight instantly. Their isn't any consequence after crossing the river: not being able to get all gear across, haivng to keep gear dry, being wet, cold perhaps.  The less simple (more complex) a game becomes, the more people will start to expect as the game becomes "more real" , people will be more liely to use "real logic" rather then "game logic".  A solution? More complex engines that can allow for more "real" gameplay; walls that can be destroyed by heavy vehicles like tanks in a convincing manner while still "blocking" smaller vehicles and infantry.  Obviously the final choice really depends on the game developers and which gameplay logic they are aiming at, and once that's set it should be as consistent as possible.

Hmm thinking of it, the old logic of "anything that sticks out the ground will block anything dead in it's tracks, tanks are stopped by 1cm thick poles"  went overboard when you could pass fencings and such.  This new logic makes people wonder about other logics in the game.

Having set al that,  I am happy with tanks nothing being stopped by a silly poorly constructed wooden fence.
« Last Edit: 03-11-2009, 20:11:12 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03-11-2009, 21:11:34 »
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-11-2009, 07:11:54 »
http://it.tinypic.com/r/2h3c35z/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2zgrd52/4

just examples of the small walls

Hmm in both cases you can pass the walls by using the gaps which can be seen on the pics as well. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04-11-2009, 08:11:26 »

Hmm in both cases you can pass the walls by using the gaps which can be seen on the pics as well. :)

yepp, exactly.. if you really want to apply real logic or "realism" (brrr...) you can pretend that your fellow tanker just drove through the wall and made those holes. or that it is you, driving through the hole that creates it. mappers take good care making sure there are gaps and passages in the walls.. i cant see why we would make it so you can just drive wherever you want.. ???

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04-11-2009, 13:11:23 »
You know the same concept is here about the fences... why would a tiny half inched think wooden fence stop a 30 ton tank. I jut put that into thought and threw this out there about the low lying walls cause they really wouldnt stop a tank ( unless a track link breaks upon hitting it)  and i was just putting that out there cause some people when your looking the opposite way when fighting, run into that and the tank obvioulsy comes to a dead halt and some times you get nailed as you are no longer a movie target to the enemy tanker.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-11-2009, 15:11:49 »
BF2 is not Red Faction Guerrilla...unfortunately
Nobody is perfect

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-11-2009, 20:11:43 »
True lobo lol.. but wouldnt the coding work the same in some degree as fences are against tanks? i havnt a clue of modifying things so this is a shot in the dark

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04-11-2009, 21:11:37 »
well, the wood fences is simply that we made a special collision for vehicles in them, it looks slightly silly but not SO silly like in good stone walls.

For stone walls, hedgerows and that kind of hard stuff the only reasonable method would be as destroyable object, BF2 has a limit of only 100 of those objects and could likely cause lag. Not really worthy.

+ the Natty's point, we really want to control the flow of battle, no free roaming everywhere