Author Topic: Shooting small arms accurately etc..  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
Shooting small arms accurately etc..
« on: 28-10-2009, 19:10:02 »
Hello, I'm looking for some help on how to unn00b myself. I've been playing FH2 for 6 months now almost daily and I don't seem to get any better. I often end a battle with a 1/3 kill/death ratio and I'm getting tired of it. One problem I have is that I almost ALWAYS miss the first shot especially at long ranges. I'm now starting to wonder if I'm shooting from Iron Sights correctly. With a SMG I often use my entire clip without hitting anything even at point blank ranges. Also, I get killed by dolphin divers incredibly often, how should I counter this stupid tactic.

Thanks,
arisaka99

Offline Beatrix[NL]

• View Profile
Re: Shooting small arms accurately etc..
« Reply #1 on: 28-10-2009, 20:10:34 »
Remember to aim "over the sight". You should always be able to see the target when shooting for it. Don't aim your iron sight so that it covers the target except for when you should from a long distance and have to aim "above" the target.
Also, be sure to duck or lie down when you should, and wait a second or two before you actually fire.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-10-2009, 20:10:54 »
Play Vanilla. I played vanilla and i improved my Aiming skills.. for real

Offline Blodheafodban

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-10-2009, 23:10:44 »
Create a game where it is just you and all the bots are on your side, then run around shooting them at different ranges, maybe the problem is you just aren't used to the different elevations you have to aim at. And if you're not that good with rifle vs rifle, maybe you should consider finding something else you might be good at, like support machine gun.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-10-2009, 23:10:31 »
Don't shoot at long ranges.  If you hit cool, if you don't then the enemies know where you are.  If you shoot a guy near a flag you are attacking, really dumb because they then know where you are.  Grey first then kill.

imho.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-10-2009, 23:10:45 »
Create a game where it is just you and all the bots are on your side, then run around shooting them at different ranges, maybe the problem is you just aren't used to the different elevations you have to aim at. And if you're not that good with rifle vs rifle, maybe you should consider finding something else you might be good at, like support machine gun.

What he said. Practice a lot with bots. You can even shoot your teammates in SP, although if you do that too much, you might take it with you online. And there you will get kicked for doing so.

A good way to practice is playing Supercharge SP and lie down at the first flag (as a German). Apart from the tanks, many bots will come running on foot to your position. Pick them out and shoot them. You will get the hang of it eventually. Try everything, even if it doesn't seem logical to you. This way you will find out how to hit targets, even when they are on the move.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-10-2009, 14:10:35 »
I would do tunis, as Germans, with 50 British bots and only 13 on your side.

surely, you either one shot one kill or die.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-10-2009, 14:10:03 »
LMGS
These take some time to aim down the sites so get used to giving time for that delay before entering a potential hairy situation - Learn to fire from the hip but know where it is useful and where it is not - Best positioning for firing from the hip is while stationary, preferably in a crouch. Avoid using these standing since they use tracers and are loud, thus given your position away

REMEMBER: Its more difficult to hit a dot than a line - Proning, facing your target is better than standing

Fire a few rounds and relocate - Don't just stay there and blast away - Much if the issues in firing small arms is not the skill in aiming, but the philosophy of 'how to' and 'when to' use them

RIFLES
Firing from the hip with these is a desperate act that only happens rarely - Sure get used to doing it, but remember how rare you should use it - You know where the crosshair is - Get used to aiming down the sights quickly and taking fire - Many feel they need a perfect target to fire - You wont get one any better by delaying - You will just get shot

Don't be fooled by the weapon sway - its only cosmetic - once you aim in, thats it, put the beed on the enemy and take fire

NEVER go into a battle with only one shot - Recall how many rounds you have and reload if neccesary - There are enough ammo boxes and clips to avoid running out. At long range, sometimes a well placed grenade round is better than a firing contest. If engaged in a prolongued firefight adjust position while keeping your lhead down - Make as small a target of yourself as possible - If possible use boxes and obstacles leaving something like a slit to fire from

SMGS
Opposite of rifles, get confident with firing from the hip - At average range, you are likely to hit the target with a short burst
Gently lower the mouse after your first shot to keep the gun level or all succesive shots will go overhead -  Fire in bursts, this eint no John Wayne movie - Don't spray and pray unless you are in a building and you are being beseigned from the only one entry

Firing from down the sights is like a rifle - Don't over-aim. A few secs and brrrp, then Bob's your uncle
If your gun has semi-auto, use it at greater ranges if you need to fire from such distances - Tap-fire if it doesn't have semi-auto

Moreso, than rifles, don't go in half-cocked.. .ie. with a limited amount of ammo - An average spray takes between 5 and 10 bullets fast - At least have 15 bullets in your clip for one or two rounds in a single bout - And a complete clip if going against more poeple - Learn to reload-mid-clip if you are engaged in a firefight against enemies in which either side is trying to gain ground - you don't want to run out while he's right on top of you

AT rifle
Simply put, fire tanks at long range and from odd angles - Don't be a hero, never fire at them from an open area or infront of them. Take as few shots as possible to take out any tank. Don't give them time to figure out where you are.

The Assault rifle
It is a rifle so it has more recoil than an SMG and its shaped like and feels like an SMG so it shares something slightly less than the recoil of the former and the handling of the latter. Learn to enjoy firing semi-auto and use full autp only in close to medium range, firing in short bursts and not in full blast.

*For both SMGs and sometimes assault rifle - Try to gain an advantage, by manouevering closer rather than taking a shot at long rifle range.

Grenades
If using the big-mushroom bomb for the British.. the No.79 is it? Toss and run backward cuz if that thing hits the side of the tank facing you, you go with all the fireworks. Where possible, use cover to avoid the blast radius

If using sticky bombs or Gabeltladung, toss one when close up - Try to get the sticky one ON the vehicle and dash off at an odd angle... If it takes more than one, try and work with someone or if you must go it alone, move to another location before tossing the 2nd (And wait for the 1st to blow up first)

You cannot put the pin of a frag greande back so take it out if you are INDEED going to throw it.
Hold the key for a bit to gain power behind the throw and estimate the projectile of the throw so you don't get it bouncing back or TKing.

The British smoke grenade takes a while for the smoke to build but last longer than the German one - Note the difference - you aren't concealed simply because you threw it - Give it some range when throwing it and directly between you and the enemy location otherwise its no good since you will emerge in the open rather quickly

Pistol
At close range this mother can be a real killer - Fire as fast as you can hit the button and do it for at least three shots before re-aiming - Anything more, and you will be off target, anything less and you might just piss the guy off

semi-auto
The carbine works similar to an over-sized pistol - Aim, puck-puck-puck, rinse-repeat. The M1 on the other hand takes a bit more than an average rifle to aim since its recoil is not taken up in a reload action - And it will recoil like a BREN by the 2nd shot

Here's how to use this one to be a real killer, aim fast, fire, lower a notch, fire again.... See the lowering of the mouse like a spring-like motion and you will always return the rifle to its initial aim. After 3 or 4 shots - Sometimes, it might just be two for distant targets, relax the rifle and take aim again

I might be wrong, but the G43 is alot like the M1 with a tad less recoil - Use similar tactics noting the variation

The sharpened blade
Don't EVER under-estimate the byonet or knife. Learn to draw them in a heart beat and use at repeatedly for success - The byonet takes a longer time to lange so try to get in close enough, but be aware of its reach. Put yourself in a position if you MUST use a blade to take out the enemy as close as possible especially, round a bend or over a buff - And deinifely, if you see him reloading, it MIGHT etter choice then aiming and firing

REMEMBER, the weapon is only as good as the one using it - Move liek you have a purpose and move in group - At the end of the day, luck is another factor and you want to reduce the chances of your getting hit, even if it means someone else might - Work in tandem with a team to Fix, Flank and Finish your opponent

Skill in the end is how a person uses all he's got, NOT how excellent an aim he is or how much he can pwn with a particular gun - Most times, that's just urban legend.

YOU TOO CAN BE A GOOD SOLDIER

« Last Edit: 29-10-2009, 14:10:32 by djinn »

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-10-2009, 11:10:21 »
since you have been playing for few months i guess you already know about the bullet drop over distance and the need to lead moving targets.
depending on your ping the "lead" can change quite a bit.

i dont really know how to explain but on a good day i get 5 hits out of 5 shots with k98 on long distances and moving targets. maybe it is just the experience you get over LONG time.

as dedicated rifleman(and mostly bolt action) i tend to fire first and then take cover, that way i can get a shoot of and mostly hit before the enemy can return fire or take over.
see an enemy ? > DUCK / prone
did he see you ? > Yes / No
if yes aim as fas t a possible and shoot.
if no take your time aiming and make the shot count.
that way i can defeat most enemies on all ranges.
in close quarter with rifle dont hesitate to take a few hip shots, since you work the bolt much faster. and i just love bayonet charges, whenever i hear the garand *pling* or some other sound indicating the enemy is not able to fire i tend to charge if the situation allows it, but thats just personal preference.

also with rifles you dont need to try headshots, simply shoot them in the chest and they die.
as for smgs i cant handle them, but using them in full auto isnt helping, better fire in bursts.

simply keep playing, experience beats any tips and tricks anyone can write down.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Beatrix[NL]

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31-10-2009, 13:10:35 »
Firing from the hip with these is a desperate act that only happens rarely - Sure get used to doing it, but remember how rare you should use it - You know where the crosshair is - Get used to aiming down the sights quickly and taking fire - Many feel they need a perfect target to fire - You wont get one any better by delaying - You will just get shot
I cannot agree with this. I would consider myself a experienced player, and often fire fromout the hip with a 70% successrate. The reason for choosing this over the iron-sight aim is that I keep a better overview of the situation, not to mention the speed benefit. Especially in close-combat with an semi-automatic rifle (Garand, Carbine, G43) this works remarkably well.