Author Topic: No energy for this.  (Read 9264 times)

Offline stylie

• View Profile
No energy for this.
« on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:25 »
I dont know if this is goodbye or just a jumjum style hiatus. Im pretty much 1 for 4 in terms of getting my posts deleted/locked. I tried reading the rules lightings rules...

"If you want to talk to someone about the weather or about revolting against the establishment we have an IRC channel for that."

But we have a weather post from Sir Apple and a new U& I guess "C" revolt from archimonde. Now I have to avoid "slow-talking". Does anyone here know what the hell slow talking is? I sure dont and as previously stated, I lack the energy to go find out. If this board is going to be more locked down than the other, I'll never be able to adapt. Seems like as good a time to roll out and go back to lurking when I need some info. I'll stll be in game and maybe a response or two. But my thread creation days are over. I "un-hid" my email addy in my profile. Enjoy the new regime boys!

« Last Edit: 30-03-2009, 16:03:25 by stylie »
~ A stylie joint.

A forum that does not embrace a stylie is flawed.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
Re: No energy for this.
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:50 »
Don't leave.

I think the admins point is that they want to keep the forum clean and clear of un-necessary threads/posts. In other words, they want us to think "is this really needed" before we post . The old forums were cluttered with off topic posts in every single thread. This made it very difficult for the Devs and staff to get feedback from the public, and etc.

I think slow posting is a random thread that slowly gains popularity in the wrong direction. Not sure... though.

I'm sure most all of us have had posts deleted... because the rules here are different then the old FF rules that we were used to.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:56 »
Yeah stylie I am with ya. It's no where near the same as the old forums, the rules seem out of whack. I am just trying to figure out what the new direction is they want with this forum? Solely FH related and smart off-topic? That'll drive away a lot of the clientel, reason we have our large community is because we can have these goofy threads, followed by a thread on discussion of paint thinning with regards to high altitude climates, that's what I come here for. Maybe they are just locking down for now so we keep the forums because they are still worried about filefront, we will just have to see.

Biiviz

« Reply #3 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:08 »
"Slow posting" is IRC or MSN style chatting between a couple of people talking about nothing related to the topic.

/edit: I'm not sure exactly what is and is not allowed to be posted, though. In the old FH-OT we would post;
-news
-political debates
-FH community related
-ww2 pictures, ww2 weaponry... pretty much anything ww2
-hobbys
-food
-games
-sports
-cars
-"fun threads": e.g. someone found a funny youtube video/picture/article they just had to share, etc.

I'm guessing it's the "fun threads" that were looked down upon by admins and others?
« Last Edit: 30-03-2009, 16:03:39 by Biiviz »

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-03-2009, 16:03:25 »
Well I still really enjoy our random threads on things like, Look at all this snow I got, then it turns into discussion about snow plows in sweden. Those are the reason I come, I love being able to segway smoothly from topic to topic with in a thread, and u can trace the source all the way back to the original post, you just have to follow three lines of logic.

Biiviz

« Reply #5 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:18 »
Well I still really enjoy our random threads on things like, Look at all this snow I got, then it turns into discussion about snow plows in sweden. Those are the reason I come, I love being able to segway smoothly from topic to topic with in a thread, and u can trace the source all the way back to the original post, you just have to follow three lines of logic.

Ah, yes. Topic jumping is probably also a complaint. I think it's perfectly natural that once a topic is done, it "evolves" into something new as the attention is diverted to another (still related) part of the discussion.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:31 »
Don't leave.

I think the admins point is that they want to keep the forum clean and clear of un-necessary threads/posts. In other words, they want us to think "is this really needed" before we post . The old forums were cluttered with off topic posts in every single thread. This made it very difficult for the Devs and staff to get feedback from the public, and etc.

I think slow posting is a random thread that slowly gains popularity in the wrong direction. Not sure... though.

I'm sure most all of us have had posts deleted... because the rules here are different then the old FF rules that we were used to.
Quite indeed.

Oh and it's "slowchat"  which means having a chat (chit chat, not debate!)  conversation betweem 2-3 people in a thread as if they were on IRC or instant messenger like MSN. Which is just spam.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:25 »
Well guys, I'm sorry you don't agree with the way things are going right now, but please keep in mind we are still setting up. Now when setting up this board I had a lot of complaints from other devs that they avoided our forum because of the amount of spam, so we collectively decided to make it a more enjoyable place for people who don't care too much about random subjects and topic-changes.

I do realise this will make it a less enjoyable place for others, but if we all work together on a solution we can change that. This is our forum now, we can change the rules and we can add other subforums. The initial version of this forum had a 'spam' subforum, which would be a lot like the FF spam forum. This forum was removed though, because several devs were afraid the 'spammy' attitude would spread to other forums. (This is something I can well imagine.)

Anyway, my point is, we can talk about it, but we want this forum to be enjoyable for everyone.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:07 »
i think thats why we could need a simple spam forum.
note off topic != spam

Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:25 »
What about a topic lounge type section? It could still have rules on the type of "spam" allowed. You could also of course make it so the posts and threads in it don't count towards the users post/thread count.  ;)

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:38 »
The FF spam forum was full of utter shit though, at least some of our spam threads had merit to it. I just hope all the old people come back and we get to normal, I'm suffering withdrawl from the old forums, they were so fun to procrastinate with.

Offline stylie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:13 »
Naaah Im done. Filefront folding shop is giving the heavy handed moderation a boost, like the insurgents lost the americans! If I can expect a clear shout-out to Donutz to actually be deleted by Donutz himself, well thats just honestly dude, a little insulting. I was in the moment of a new board, thought it would be funny. I hadnt even heard from you since your return from Australia and I was happy to see you back. Sorry to say that, but at that time the board was less than a day old, wow! Ive never understood the mods attitude as to what is cosidered off-topic. These are the types of posts and threads that I have added to your group since '04. If I can expect them to be deleted then it wont be fun for me. I want to read posts like that too. It is your board, I wont argue that. You have every right to guide it. But I cant create my bad-ass posts if I have to wonder if it will be accepted or not, nor do I want to put myself through all of that. Its just data guys, its not real estate. Who cares if it annoys people or clutters thing. Its off-topic for the love of god!!!

I'll check in from time to time, but I dont think I feel need to participate anymore.

email me at kk@getampedup.com if anything changes. Some of you, and you know who you are, better do that! I keep "stylie" in game too. If its FH2 I think its '"stylie.org"
~ A stylie joint.

A forum that does not embrace a stylie is flawed.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:41 »
I for one really liked the randomness of Off Topic... it IS off topic after all. I loved being able to show up and read something completely random. Even better, threads would spiral off into craziness and things were even better.

I understand you want to keep things clean and organized, but honestly... Off Topic?! Why does it need to be so clean and simple to read? The whole point is that people can come and talk about just about anything they want to. Why start closing threads in such a place? Why must the Off Topic forum be a source of knowledge? Can't it be anything the community wants it to be?

My concept of a Spam thread is where people just start posting at an extremely rapid rate random stuff that has no substance. FH "spam", however, typically has some sort of funny bit to it and usually has a purpose of some kind. We're mostly intelligent individuals and it's fun to talk utter nonsense with a purpose. It makes me very sad that this isn't the continued attitude of the devs towards Off Topic because it WAS my favorite place on the forum.

Oh and Stylie don't give up just yet... the forum is barely two days old! I would give it some time for things to get going before you start jumping to conclusions.
« Last Edit: 30-03-2009, 17:03:47 by Hockeywarrior »

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-03-2009, 17:03:17 »
The old forums were cluttered with off topic posts in every single thread. This made it very difficult for the Devs and staff to get feedback from the public, and etc.

Which is why some may claim that a single thread for everything like slowchat etc. would be massively useful for the forum hygiene. I don't know what speaks against that, but obviously something does.
But it's not my forum, they have to know what they're doing.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #14 on: 30-03-2009, 18:03:36 »
must admit I feel the same, infact I feel very angry, but then I'm not in the FH2 clique so it doesn't really matter does it? No... I felt victimised in the FF forum, like every thread I started was moved, or locked.  I thought I was alone, good to see that paranoia is just that and you guys feel the same.  Yes I have read the rules, but they still seem like one rule for you and a rule for me depending on the day, depending on the mood.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats