Author Topic: Anti tank grenades?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
Re: Anti tank grenades?
« Reply #15 on: 14-11-2009, 01:11:32 »
Ughhh I hated that part so much in SPR, especially since Tom Hanks took his Thompson and stick it into the driver plate ignoring 6 layers of armored glass...and then opening a closed hatch. Even when that happened I was glad that the historical inaccuracies were shot to dead with a 20mm...man I wanna try that Flak 38 soon.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #16 on: 14-11-2009, 02:11:45 »
Ughhh I hated that part so much in SPR, especially since Tom Hanks took his Thompson and stick it into the driver plate ignoring 6 layers of armored glass...and then opening a closed hatch. Even when that happened I was glad that the historical inaccuracies were shot to dead with a 20mm...man I wanna try that Flak 38 soon.
Well, to be fair, it was the tank commander who opened the hatch.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14-11-2009, 02:11:49 »

It didnt look like that, also it doesnt explain why he was bleeding since just the wheels got damaged. And well there's still the part of Thompson ignoring armored glass.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14-11-2009, 02:11:47 »

Actually the Amis had climbed aboard it and shouted "Get a grenade in it!" before the luckless commander opened the hatch.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14-11-2009, 05:11:32 »
It has been in many games, not only Brothers in Arms... but also the venerable overrated Call of Duty series.

It is so funny that people take historical accuracy and realism references from games and Hollywood movies. The SPR is a bit more realistic, except the obvious tactical error the T-34 Tiger commander made by advancing without infantry support in the middle of the village to be owned just like that. It is even more uber bullshit when knowing that the idiots fighting for Germans forces are from elite SS units.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14-11-2009, 05:11:49 »
Actually, Wehrmacht units had better combat records and were better fighters than the SS, on general.  I heard that from Von Mudra, so yeah.

Offline 10-32

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14-11-2009, 07:11:26 »
Are you guys really talking about historical accuracy? This is a game where people bunny hop, swan dive and 1 player can drive a tank while loading aiming and firing its gun...Im not saying its accurate, im saying its balanced. here are a few examples.

Player gets in panther at german spawn in totalize. goes to capture the artillery base all by themself. instantly, any player with a grenade can go up against this guy and possibly win now.

Its down to the last british spawn in falaise. british cant break out because of spawncamping fucktards using tanks.

The idea of grenades would practically REQUIRE armored units to work together or with infantry. i know that when i play as a german in luttich, i always let infantry go first down the road to the farm because its so easy to get ambushed by americans with bazookas. this idea was meant to make that a more universal concept.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14-11-2009, 07:11:49 »
Also that movie is shit since the germans are nothing but retarded soldiers

"We got a .30 cal in our left, an entire batallion is dead becuase of that .30 cal, lets do something!"

"Lets keep running straight to our deaths!!"

Dude, they had a .30 cal 5 meters from them, and they only threw 3 grenades and shot a couple of shots.

Seriusly, that movie suck ballz.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14-11-2009, 08:11:07 »
Actually, Wehrmacht units had better combat records and were better fighters than the SS, on general.  I heard that from Von Mudra, so yeah.

Yep, but they still weren't that stupid.  My grandfather hated the movie when he saw it, said that it was a disgrace to all the buddies that died next to him in combat, and noted repeatedly that the way the germans attacked was idiotic, saying that he never saw any soldiers do the things they did in that movie.  So yeah, when a guy who was wounded in the 2nd day of Normandy and after recovering fought through the entire campaign, and war, says SPR was bad...its bad.

Also, yes, it is a game.  But it is a game that attempts to recreate realistic combat to the best of its abilities.  Why would it take a step BACK to something completely idiotic and unrealistic.  And on the "1 player driving tank", remember you're in a tank, you're playing as the entire crew (cept maybe hull gunner).  When you're in the Panther, you're the driver, the commander, the loader, and the gunner, all at once, because in real life, they operated as a single entity.  Same for artillery, AT guns, panzerschreck, machine guns, etc, etc, etc.....

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14-11-2009, 08:11:33 »
The movie wasn't meant to be realistic, i have no qualms about the movie itself.

Extracted from Wikipedia

Much has been said about various 'tactical errors' made by both the German and American forces in the film's climactic battle. Steven Spielberg responded, saying that in many scenes he opted to replace sound military tactics and strict historical accuracy for dramatic effect.

source: Sunshine, Linda (1998-07-24). Saving Private Ryan, The Men, The Mission, The Movie : A Steven Spielberg Movie. Newmarket Press. ISBN 155704371X.

It was people who keep taking references from this movie as "something realistic/cool/tactical" to add in the game. Which is pretty disturbing, as i regard it how much Hollywood has destroyed people's mind about WW2 action.

BTW, let's get back to the topic.

On the balancing issue: you complained about ppl on panzers capping flags by camping then whoring all around with his/her uber mechanical device. I guess that what makes a tank... a tank. I was never too afraid of tanks back in vanilla or any other games than in FH. In addition, i was never too afraid of AT soldiers as a tank driver in any other games than in FH. A correctly placed shot could finish my tank quickly. I think it is well balanced.

IMO, tank is very expensive vehicle, it is valued quite highly on the battlefield. So its depiction in-game should live up to its real world counterparts... a fearsome fighting machine. Moreover, back in the days of FH1, we live up to what is known as grenade spamming (stand near ammo box and start tossing grenades in endless succession). Thus in FH2, many kits don't carry grenades and some have very limited amount of grenades (compared to vanilla and many other games). This doesn't mean to make the hand grenades so special. I think, the availability of riflenades to every rifleman (except for Italian) itself is a bit beefing infantries up.

Now, present your argument about why AT kits like Bazooka/PIAT/PzSchrek/PzFaust itself isn't enough. But i guess, in the later stage of the North African theater, where we still have the obsolete AT rifles to fight up-armored Panzers makes the AT kits kinda useless though. I can agree with your suggestion in this part only.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14-11-2009, 11:11:36 »
Are you guys really talking about historical accuracy? This is a game where people bunny hop, swan dive and 1 player can drive a tank while loading aiming and firing its gun...Im not saying its accurate, im saying its balanced.
Forgotten Hope is all about historical accuracy.  Bunny hopping is not even possible and dolphin diving has been hit with numerous nerf-darts, and I'm hoping there's more to come.

One player does not control the tank alone, he controls the crew of 3-5 people.

Opening hatches and killing tanks with grenades would not be balanced, it would be utterly stupid considering that all the stuff in this mod work more or less like their real life counterparts. You can destroy tanks with AT rifles, recoilless rifles, portable HEAT rocket launchers, AT guns, mines, satchels, other tanks and tank destroyers. Don't have anything of those with you? Too bad, you're dead.

FH2 is balanced by those standards. Add magic anti-tank hand grenades to all riflemen and SMG soldiers and it's not just merely ridiculous, it's also unbalancing.

« Last Edit: 14-11-2009, 11:11:32 by Thorondor123 »
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Sturmbocke

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14-11-2009, 12:11:52 »
I have only heard of one single case, ever, in WW2 where a tank was destroyed by dropping a grenade inside. 
This one came to my mind immediatly:

Einar Schadewitz (1917-1981) was awarded with the Mannerheim Cross (equal to MOH or VC) on February 10, 1943 due to his heroic achievements! Legendary is the way he alone destroyed a Russian tank in 1940 during the Winter War. He climbed on the tank, beat with a hand grenade on its hatch and shouted in his own Savo dialect: "Avvoo iivana, tiällä kuolema kolokuttaa!" ("Open it Ivan, it is death that is knocking here!"). When a surprised Soviet soldier unluckily opened the hatch, Corporal Schadewitz dropped a satchel charge (an anti-tank weapon) into the tank and hastily jumped off to the snowdrift to avoid the explosion. This incident became quite well known in the western world, and e.g. New York Post published the story.
"If a Tiger appears, send out a troop of four Sherman to destroy the panzer and expect only one to come home"

Biiviz

« Reply #27 on: 14-11-2009, 13:11:56 »

"Some guy on an Internet forum told me!"

:)

Offline 10-32

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14-11-2009, 16:11:31 »
Guys, Im not talking about grenades that are antitank. im talking specifically about changing the vulnerability inside a tanks turret to make them vulnerable to grenades.

stop saying that the player controls 3 people, because they dont. unless the game makes you alternate positions and do each part, youre 1 man operating a keyboard which mimmicks full control of a tank.

Any tanker bad enough to let his tank be overrun by infantry, clearly doesnt deserve a tank at all and since im sure you guys are just *soooo* good, you wouldnt have anything to worry about.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14-11-2009, 16:11:57 »
I feel bad for the SPR German tanker who gets shot in the face, he didn't look like he wanted too much trouble. 
Atleast they all got owned an instant later, serves them right. Pwned! :)