Author Topic: Game of Thrones teaser - HBO  (Read 879 times)

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones teaser - HBO
« on: 17-06-2010, 00:06:31 »
Muahahaha now all you fellow Martin fans can suffer twice as much in anticipation of the show as well as the next book!  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MophfvUlfI

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones teaser - HBO
« Reply #1 on: 17-06-2010, 01:06:00 »
A fantasy novel by G. R. R. Martin? Never heard of. Sounds like "lord of the rings" to me though the trailer looks rather like some RPG from Bioware.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-06-2010, 01:06:50 »
I played the "Game of Thrones" board game that my frien bought. If the series will be half as etertaining and flavoured then we have something to wait for.

Offline Flyboy1942

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-06-2010, 01:06:22 »
You've seriously never heard of A Song of Ice and Fire? Martin is currently writing the 5th book in the series.

I wouldnt compare it to Lord of the Rings though. Martin's books have very little "visible" magic in them, and the small amount of magic there is resides in more subtle manifestations. More importantly, it cannot be used to get out of a tight spot.

Instead, we are treated to a canvas of intrigue and human interactions between some of the best written characters Ive had the pleasure to read. The battles and fights are chaotic and brutal, and are fought and won by men for reasons of power. Main characters die in twists of betrayal or happenstance, and you see it all unfold in a merciless world.

Thats not to say that there is no fantasy to it at all. Throughout the series, while most of the continent is fighting each other for control of the throne, there is a slow, ominous buildup of "the big baddies" that threatens destruction for all. It is touched on in the prologue of the first book, and hinted at throughout most of the series, and only recently started to advance in a horrifying way. It's not an army of orcs or trollocs, rather a more sinister force that resides in the decade-spanning winter the tagline warns of.

In any case, look into them, especially if you're a Martin fan. I obviously cant say enough about them.

EDIT: @Kubador: I havent played the boardgame yet, though I have been contemplating getting it for my friends and I. Would you recommend it for players who haven't read the series?
« Last Edit: 17-06-2010, 01:06:52 by Flyboy1942 »

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-06-2010, 07:06:20 »
I most certainly would. If they have a bit of patience to learn the rules and they like manipulation/tactical games then this is a very good way to spend your money on. It also good to buy one or two card sets for variety.

I dunno if it's expensive tho, you can always split the price with your friends that are willing to invest.

EDIT: Oh and it's more a card game than board game but it still is fun.
« Last Edit: 17-06-2010, 07:06:51 by Kubador »

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-06-2010, 11:06:21 »

I wouldnt compare it to Lord of the Rings though. Martin's books have very little "visible" magic in them, and the small amount of magic there is resides in more subtle manifestations. More importantly, it cannot be used to get out of a tight spot.
Have you actually read The Lord of The Rings?
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-06-2010, 14:06:01 »

Apparently not, as the above description would fit LOTR as well. LOTR is certainly no AD&D where a single magic user - with the help of a few meatshields - will wipe the floor with entire armies while the cleric summons a few meteor strikes upon the the infidels.

A much more noticeable difference between the two would be that LOTR veers towards romance and mythology, whereas Martin's works veer towards gritty and naturalistic. Which one does the Shire really resemble more, a pre-medieval agrarian community without much government or law enforcement, or highly idealized fairytale version of pre-WW1 England it really is? And would an utopia like that really fit in Martin's world?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-06-2010, 14:06:52 »

Apparently not, as the above description would fit LOTR as well. LOTR is certainly no AD&D where a single magic user - with the help of a few meatshields - will wipe the floor with entire armies while the cleric summons a few meteor strikes upon the the infidels.

A much more noticeable difference between the two would be that LOTR veers towards romance and mythology, whereas Martin's works veer towards gritty and naturalistic. Which one does the Shire really resemble more, a pre-medieval agrarian community without much government or law enforcement, or highly idealized fairytale version of pre-WW1 England it really is? And would an utopia like that really fit in Martin's world?

That is the one thing that always bugged me about LOTR, it jsut didn't feel like a realistic medieval society, but like something constructed or something a religion is founded on.

Offline ErnaSolberg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-06-2010, 15:06:23 »
Never heard of this G.R.R. Martin... From the description, "A Song of Ice and Fire" sounds a little like the "Amber" series by R. Zelazny (which wasn't very good actually, or maybe I was just too old when I read it).

I'll check out this show anyhow. Better yet, first I'll read all the books in the series, and then only complain how the show wasn't as good as the books at all.
Ни шагу назад!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-06-2010, 19:06:01 »
So is this series based on books or whole different story from same world?

Offline Flyboy1942

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-06-2010, 00:06:16 »
The first season of the series is going to cover the first book of the series. Martin spent some time writing scripts and involved with productions (including the classic twilight zone) before he became a well known author, and HBO does awesome stuff, so I have high hopes that the series will be faithful to the books.

And yes, I havent read LoTR, so I apologize if I stepped on anyones toes. I was simply going off the fact that there are wizards, dwarfs, elves, and the like. I do intend to read them some day soon...

Tyrion doesnt count as a dwarf in this context btw...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-06-2010, 00:06:52 »
That is the one thing that always bugged me about LOTR, it just didn't feel like a realistic medieval society, but like something constructed or something a religion is founded on.
Considering Prof. T was on a mission to create a mythology for England, that is kind of expected...

You have to remember that LOTR began as a sequel to The Hobbit, which in turn was indeed supposed to be a children's book set in a world of its own. The references to Tolkien's "serious" mythological work (The Silmarillion, which he began in the trenches of the Great War but never finished) were meant only as an insider joke for those who had been exposed to his unpublished stuff. Having started to work on LOTR, Tolkien came up with the idea of placing the story at the very end of his imagined history - in fact, to use the story to explain how the world of The Silmarillion became the world we live in -  and thus retconned The Hobbit into the same world as well. Unfortunately, the Shire had been quite explicitly defined for what it was (fortunately at least the elves and trolls, even Gollum, got a far more serious treatment), so instead of re-imagining the Shire Tolkien simply wrote the text so that it would gradually transform from a harmless fairytale into a proper epic fantasy during the first volume.

Not that the other realms of Middle-Earth are any more realistic, or that their descriptions would be any more streetwise or less idealistic, because that simply does not fit in the style of heroic epic, but at least they don't feel as much out of place since they are inspired by medieval realms. (Gondor is pretty much Byzantium and Rohan is pre-Norman England, just with cavalry.)

And yes, I havent read LoTR, so I apologize if I stepped on anyones toes. I was simply going off the fact that there are wizards, dwarfs, elves, and the like. I do intend to read them some day soon...
Yes, LOTR is pretty much high fantasy, with all sorts of fancy creatures, but nevertheless Middle-Earth has very little in the way of magic, which was my point.

"Magic", in the sense how it is understood in fantasy literature, can be only practiced in Middle-Earth by valar and maiar (demigods/"angels"/whatever that usually assume humanoid shape) and by objects created by them (aka the Rings of Power by Sauron). As of the time of LOTR, only Sauron, five wizards, and the Balrog remain of their kind, the rest have already passed into the spirit realm. Even for these createures, magic is not something that is done casually or without some serious preparation, and even a simple trick is very taxing on the user.

There is "situational magic", in the sense that nature, things, etc. can have seemingly impossible properties (eg. most of all Elven-made stuff and their lands, and the groovy voice-activated doors of Khazad-Dum), but nobody is making any spells to cause that or most likely does not even understand why things are the way they are - they just are. Also, people may have innate, seemingly supernatural abilities (eg. Aragorn's healing hands) but again, this is their "fate", not something that you purposefully learn, or something you cause to happen by doing something, and is usually quite subtle.

In addition, words themselves have tremendous power in Tolkien's world, even when voiced out by a completely random layman. This ties in with Tolkien's interest in Finnish mythology - the Finns of old believed that by knowing the true name (or to be even more thorough, by reciting the tale of its birth) of something, you could gain control over it. Saying the real name of a living thing could actually summon it, eg. you never referred to "bear" as such, but with a wild variety of euphemisms. So when in Middle-Earth you scream the name of the goddess of the moon and the stars, that really hurts the creatures of the darkness.