Author Topic: I went on the internet and I found this v2.0 - Joke Harder  (Read 457556 times)

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I went on the internet and I found this v2.0 - Joke Harder
« Reply #1680 on: 16-08-2012, 12:08:44 »
So, as I understand it, it tells about kenyan guy and his story is sort of compared to to mannerheim?

If so, fine, but movie still rides with name of mannerheim for no apparent reason. If it's actually about mannerheim himself, then this is really bad joke.

It is about Mannerheim himself...

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: 16-08-2012, 13:08:56 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upP-QNtrlqU&feature=player_embedded

The life of Marshall Mannerheim, the famous Finnish general and national hero will soon be released as a movie. Looks pretty historically accurate, which is a huge bonus. Looking forward to see the whole flick.
I, for one, think that this might be interesting or even plain good.

I'm a huge fan of telling old stories in a completely new location. Come on, who of you don't love Hamlet in Africa?
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: 16-08-2012, 13:08:18 »
Too much for my narrow mind to handle.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: 16-08-2012, 16:08:14 »
Uhhhhh, what?

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: 16-08-2012, 17:08:51 »
reading it multiple times doesn't stop it sounding nonsensical, WTF is this
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: 16-08-2012, 17:08:19 »
A film about Marshal Baron C. G. E. Mannerheim filmed in Kenya featuring Kenyan actors.

Some Finns are highly annoyed because they think this mocks Muhammed Mannerheim and that such films about the prophet marshal are blasphemy.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: 16-08-2012, 17:08:52 »
This is....really fucking weird.  It would be like doing a film of George Washington, and hiring a mexican to act as him, and filming in Mexico.  Or doing a film on Kemal Ataturk, and filming/casting the role in the jungles of Vietnam.  It's a travesty to history.  This isn't fiction like Hamlet, Thor.  Nor is this meant as a parody from what I can tell.  This is history being ridiculed.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: 16-08-2012, 18:08:05 »
You guys are totally racist.

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: 16-08-2012, 18:08:43 »
I'd rather watch this than some horrendous Mel Gibson abortion portrayed as historically accurate when it's about as genuine as his apology for anti-semitism

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: 16-08-2012, 18:08:00 »
I'd rather watch this than some horrendous Mel Gibson abortion portrayed as historically accurate when it's about as genuine as his apology for anti-semitism

I'd rather watch neither.

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: 16-08-2012, 18:08:58 »
This is....really fucking weird...  otherexamples...  This is history being ridiculed.

I agree with the said motion, and continue with saying that it is a sad way of making money. If they'll even make any...
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: 16-08-2012, 18:08:26 »
"Travesty to history." "This is history being ridiculed."

What the actual fuck?

No one is claiming that the film's setting would be historically accurate in any way, shape or form. No one is rewriting history or trying to convince anyone that he was actually from Kenya. Not-a-documentary-film! It's merely a short film about his person in a very different light than usually.

How many DOCUMENTARIES there are about Washington? Or Atatürk? How accurate are those? How many of them contain a shit ton of propaganda and blatant lies? THAT is travesty and ridicule.

Zacharias Topelius wrote in 1853:
"--Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, waging all things in the balance of reason? Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
 Therefore, if you have the capacity to suffer or rejoice with the generation that had been... to hate with them... to love with them... to be transported to admire, to despise, to curse as they have done - in a word: to live among them with your whole heart and not alone with your cold, reflecting judgement...
 ... then follow me. I will lead you down into the well. My hand is weak and my sketch humble, but your heart will guide you better than I.
 Upon that I rely... and begin"

You look at this film as the old man... but that should be left to the research and documentaries, the actual science of history. The quote is from Topelius' historical novel. It is based on real history and feature many historical figures, but it's not a documentary. Gustavus Adolphus leads the battles like he did, Gustav III's political schemes are there, but it is not supposed to be taken as a fact. Topelius wishes that people could enjoy history and stories in their own way, reading historical adventure novels, stories about leaders of past time... And to have science as science and documentaries as documentaries.

I think it should be quite clear that this Mannerheim film is NOT supposed to be a piece of scientific research.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #1692 on: 16-08-2012, 18:08:01 »
Tesla and The Oatmeal together again!

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: 16-08-2012, 19:08:13 »
Well, it kinda gives the Kenyans "a feel" of how if they had a leader like Marshall Mannerheim, just as the Finns feel it. More immersion for specific audience, I'd say.

But for me, it's a mixed bag. I kinda like the controversy it brings, intentional or not. People are quick to jump on conclusions sometimes. In the movie "The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982) by Peter Weir, they casted a caucasian lady (Linda Hunt) to portray an oriental man. Weird, controversial, but to call it morbid is like blowing it out of proportions.
« Last Edit: 16-08-2012, 19:08:48 by Zoologic »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: 16-08-2012, 20:08:35 »
It could be an innovative approach, if the authors really intended to tell a "universal" story.

Imagine, if you will, a small country, after having been under colonial powers for centuries, finally gains its independence but goes through a bloody civil war where all neighbouring states meddle in, and starting to recover from that, is still an agrarian, poorly developed country with lacking education and scant few resources. Later on, gets invaded by one of the old colonial powers while getting minor aid from the other. All this viewed through the eyes of a career officer from a bygone age. This man served in the colonial army when wars were few and were gentlemanly affairs. Branded as a butcher by the losing party of the civil war, he did what he thought was necessary to pacify the country, but feels equally awkward by the semi-mythical status the victors award him - especially since he is from a different tribe and has little in common with the people on either side. Later on, there is a revolt who wants him to show support, no thank you, he has already seen one civil war, and the situation cools down. Later, a group of wealthy businessmen and military officers are plotting for a more organized coup and actually ask him to head the junta - again, he declines, not sharing their values, and also the idea is absurd; he, of the wrong tribe, having spent most of his career in service of the former colonial master, being from upper class, would become a figurehead for a ultranationalist populist regime? And in the meanwhile, social life presents him more and more challenges; no more arranged marriages or parties for nobility only, women are especially adopting worldly habits, his friends from the colonial army are in exile or back to their home country. But much as he would avoid war, the bigger neighbouring state sees an opportunity and invades. So he has to unite the people - some of whom he fought against not even one generation ago - and face and adapt to a changed battlefield. And when the country needs to be led out of the war, he reluctantly agrees, but only until it is certain that peace will hold this time and someone else could be chosen. And finally, his ailing health and fears of reprisals from the invading state force him to take exile far away from his country - without a spouse, without his friends.

I could totally see this story being applied to an African country - real or imaginary - and really finding resonance there (and globally). Of course, you could even transplant the story (with some details changed) to Vietnam, even the opportunistic neigbouring state would apply (many people seem to be completely unaware of the Chinese invasion that took place after Vietnam ended the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia; a bit too large an operation to call just a punitive expedition, except of course to explain afterwards why they "decided" to retreat). Yes, it could be a novel retelling and would make people look things differently.

But then again, this film could be just trolling for trolling's sake. At least the director has behaved that way: in TV interview he had stated how he had wanted to provoke a certain forum known for opposing the red-green politicians and how they had already threatened him -- FAIL, at the time of the interview, there was not a single threat on that forum, but on many other, non-political forums there were plenty. And they're already making a documentary on making of the movie that's no doubt (based on the director's and producer's comments) supposed to prove how all Finns are racist bigots and should be put to re-education camps or something to that effect.