Author Topic: Mortar Relaod and Effects  (Read 15708 times)

Offline VanOwen

• View Profile
Mortar Relaod and Effects
« on: 29-09-2010, 18:09:51 »
I always surprised me that mortars take so long between shots and that they were so accurate.  I would think that one you zeroed in on a target you would pump round after round down range in an attempt to saturate an area.

The current system works in a very seemingly slow way and a surprisingly accurate. 

Wait for a spot, fire first round.
Wait several seconds the round hits and the tube reloads.
Adjust aim.
Fire next round, repeat.

Would it make more sense to have each mortar keep roughly the same time to reload/fire but have 3 rounds land instead?  Of course have each round have a good measure of deviation in them.
Or perhaps get another fire-mode for mortars so that a person could shoot single shots to get their aim right, then use the cluster option to fire more rounds but at a higher deviation with a longer reload time.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
Re: Mortar Relaod and Effects
« Reply #1 on: 29-09-2010, 18:09:46 »
i will Allways be supporting artillery deviation! You have my axe!

I'd say 1 round per second with a heatmeter like the Mg's would be awesome and in my opinion might draw more spotters as they then know that artillery is a devestating weapon that can really make a barrage and stop an enemy assault or pin them down :)
« Last Edit: 29-09-2010, 19:09:25 by Sn00x »

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:03 »
I like the cleansness of this system. You get a spot and you dial in, make a few adjusments and fire your shots. After a few misses you can try to adjust and fire away. Its a really fun mini-game for me while eating  8).
Altough id like massive arty barrages i think its easy to "abuse" or make it so apparent that it might get annoying for the receiving side ( note : spammy).

Deviation and overheating sounds great though, but in public there can be bad spots, or worse no spotters, and making arty less effective doesnt sound to great to keep it fun to do. Atleast in public play i say.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:03 »
Yeah the artillery system is very well adjusted atm. In my opinion messing with it could lead to massive balance problems. Getting killed by arti can be very infuriating because you can't really do much against it except hiding, so making it stronger is unadvisable imo. On the other hand, it is an awesome tool for teamplayers and atmosphere, so making it worse could mean it being used less. So in conclusion: risky.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:37 »
Maybe add arty deviation in and then also give Binocs to more kits.  Its tough to get players to give you a spot on public servers.  And half the time they are prone and give you a garbage one.  Not enough players can spot, imo.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:00 »
Comes back to using mg margins. After dialing in, you can wait a few secs to have the margins squeeze together for a perfect shot or you get deviation depending on how far from each other they are.

Note, the faster you dial in the shot, the further they'd start off from each other - unless its not too far from the last spot since the dials wouldnt have had to move much.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:47 »
Maybe add arty deviation in and then also give Binocs to more kits.  Its tough to get players to give you a spot on public servers.  And half the time they are prone and give you a garbage one.  Not enough players can spot, imo.

No, spotting should be limited. Even more spam otherwise.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:44 »
Mortars REALLY need to have their reload speed upped.  This things fired as fast as you could drop rounds down the barrel, in FH2 they have the reload speed of a retarded person trying to shove the square peg in the round hole.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:14 »
Speed em, yes. But read my former post suggestion too

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:47 »
spotting tanks/units are spammed, and mostly useless.  But making spots for arty doesnt happen enough, imo.  maybe a second binoc weapon that can only spot for arty  ;D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:10 »
Arent we going OT?

Arty, yes. But we're talking about mortar speed and deviation of shots, not spots.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-09-2010, 19:09:56 »
You can use the mortar for accurate destruction of stationary targets or for random area bombardment against moving infantry. Currently the later is not much effective because of the long reload times. But it would greatly increase in effectiveness with shorter reload times and even some deviation of the shots would not counter this. This might cause balance problems when one weapon can suddenly effect large assaults too much.

While the idea of more realistic mortar shelling sounds good to me I think the same as Ts4EVER, to change this would need much testing with max players and most likely not work at all..

I think Spotters able to call in artillery were a rare thing on most battlefields. In reality they had to carry radio equipment or use a field phone and hope that the wires won´t break. Giving more people the ability to call in artillery would be extremely unrealistic imho.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-09-2010, 20:09:25 »
Of course mortars fire faster in real-life, but I like it the way it is. The longer reload is in line with the scaling down aspect of FH, just like the one man tankcrews. The spotting system already balances out the long reload so it would be murderous if, with the current spotting system, you could fire 20 rounds a minute with your mortar. And on top of that it would make aiming hell since you wouldn't be able to aim right becasue of all the impacts if there's another mortar firing at the same target. Also, the ammo abuse would be off the charts.

So, despite the OP's valid suggestion, I say: no thank you.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-09-2010, 20:09:46 »
3 rounds instead of one ? Hell yes ! Come on you whiners ! It's not such a big deal !

Not sure about deviation though, as it would just increase the damage radius and not realy the fire rate ...
« Last Edit: 29-09-2010, 20:09:21 by Beaufort »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-09-2010, 21:09:03 »
Here's what I said for arty:

I hear you on scale, and that was my first response before I thought it through and decided, there is more than one way to approach this after all, not all things ARE scaled, some are... for balance. Arty needn't be in another approach

1/ Faster aim and fire...
2/ settle margins like in mg34 and 42 means after the dial is rotated the arty gunner/ or mortar crew/man needs to wait for the gun to settle to get perfect aim a la the current system, otherwise he gets deviation
/ the speed of settle depends on the piece: Mortar settles faster than howitzers
/This settle only occurs slightly after each shot since, lets face it, there IS recoil, so if he expects successive shots to land right at the same spot, he needs to pace himself i.e current speed, or the shots land quite close, but not right on
/Deviation is minimal, not insane deviation, realistic deviation for the scaled game
/The faster you swivel the gun, the wider the margins go, the greater the wait time to reduce deviation. Arty would relaod faster than now, but to get perfect shots, you will have the current delay time
/closer shots and short adjust-fire spots would require minimal swivel and therfore have shots landing very close to one another as opposed to jumping between spots...

first shot in heated game would be like the first pancake... take it for granted: it wolud be off target, unless you are patient enough, since the deviation would be greatest after first adjustment. Recoil does little to the wait time, so although it causes innaccuracy, not as much as swiveling te gun